Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scientists worry new superbug could spread worldwide

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Scientists worry new superbug could spread worldwide

It's only a matter of time people.

Notice how these sorts of things are becoming more and more common nowdays?

SARS, Bird flu, West nile virus, swine flu etc.

Although it always seems to be blown out of proportion, but one of these days the percentages are going to catch up to us.

I just hope it's a zombie virus tho.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38655676...ious_diseases/

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post

SARS, Bird flu, West nile virus, swine flu etc.
    Yeah, it's almost like people are making money every time someone starts to hype a new bug/calamity/hobgoblin. Hey, wait a tic...

But in all seriousness, it's unfortunate that these things are a real concern and we need to prepare for the likelihood of catastrophic outbreaks, but you can only worry so much about what the news services and even academics and researchers (who want increased funding) prognosticate.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    True...

Although it always seems to be blown out of proportion, but one of these days the percentages are going to catch up to us.

Like that horrific Swine Flu that was going to be "the next pandemic" and it didn't and it turns out it wasn't even close and was just a way for the drug manufacturers of the vaccine to make a shit-ton of money? Is that considered catching up with us? If so, they've done a good job!

Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Yeah, it's almost like people are making money every time someone starts to hype a new bug/calamity/hobgoblin. Hey, wait a tic...
    Bingo! Give that man a prize!

Seriously, it's like, where's the West Nile virus that was going to kill us all? SARS? That was going to be HUGE and never went anywhere. Swing Flu? I called that out as BULLSHIT the first I heard of it...

While I will agree that at some point, a nasty bug (virus or bacteria) is indeed going to wipe out a LOT of the population, I also think that it's more because of the bozos in this world that run to a doctor the minute they get a runny nose and beg for antibiotics. What a bunch of fools. I never go to the doctors for anything unless it's a life-threatening or serious situation. While the people are turning into zombies because they've compromised their immune systems by overtaking antibiotics, I'll be sitting on my rooftop, shooting them in the head with my rifle.

United States
    Easy solution kids, just remember:

Those aren't real problems, Sam.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    True...

Like that horrific Swine Flu that was going to be "the next pandemic" and it didn't and it turns out it wasn't even close and was just a way for the drug manufacturers of the vaccine to make a shit-ton of money? Is that considered catching up with us? If so, they've done a good job!

Bingo! Give that man a prize!

Seriously, it's like, where's the West Nile virus that was going to kill us all? SARS? That was going to be HUGE and never went anywhere. Swing Flu? I called that out as BULLSHIT the first I heard of it...

While I will agree that at some point, a nasty bug (virus or bacteria) is indeed going to wipe out a LOT of the population, I also think that it's more because of the bozos in this world that run to a doctor the minute they get a runny nose and beg for antibiotics. What a bunch of fools. I never go to the doctors for anything unless it's a life-threatening or serious situation. While the people are turning into zombies because they've compromised their immune systems by overtaking antibiotics, I'll be sitting on my rooftop, shooting them in the head with my rifle.
    Oh, no doubt.

There always seems to be a "shortage" of a vaccine, then the requisite

# 1 public panic

# 2 public demand for more vaccine which the gov't is only more than happy to pay billions of our tax dollars to our modern day grug dealers for.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States

# 1 public panic

# 2 public demand for more vaccine which the gov't is only more than happy to pay billions of our tax dollars to our modern day grug dealers for.

As Jules in Pulp Fiction would say, "Exactamundo!"

With the whole swine flu scam, they ended up with SO much of the vaccine left over it wasn't even funny - and when they realized they were going to get stuck with it, they kept up this facade of "oh, there's going to be a SECOND wave of swine flu, so go get your shots!"

I can't believe people fall for that stuff...

England
    Yeah, UK government has about a bazillion doses of anti-swine flu shots that they bought because the public demanded it.

Now we are skint, so we'd better hope that this is just another scare story...cuz I don't think they can afford to buy another load of vaccine that they will never use.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

With the whole swine flu scam, they ended up with SO much of the vaccine left over it wasn't even funny - and when they realized they were going to get stuck with it, they kept up this facade of "oh, there's going to be a SECOND wave of swine flu, so go get your shots!"

no way i'm injecting a virus into my body on the gov'ts say so.

United States
    You guys are somewhat ridiculously uninformed on everything from how a vaccine works, to vaccine production, to drug manufacturer and distributor stake. Just saying.
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Oh, no doubt.

# 1 public panic

Yet both Lou and I work for Companies that would profit very heavily from such conditions. In fact mine did to the tune of $16,000,000,000 because of H1N1, and the Dept. of Homeland Security paid for every bit of it.

Bonus checks will look good next year.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

United States
    The link in the OP is really talking about bacterial infection, not viral. If you want to get personally scared for your health imagine having a bacteria that cannot be killed via antibiotics. That's potentially far worse than a flu for your average healthy person. And far more costly to the healthcare system than the largest flu vaccine run.

@deej - I'm guessing you either work for Glaxo or Novartis since of the 6 vaccine manufacturers they are the only two even approaching 16 Billion in profits for 2009. And neither of them broke 10 Billion from ALL their manufacturing operations. So unless you want to revise your statement to say Revenue instead of Profit I'm not sure how you're figuring that. The distributors certainly aren't pulling that kind of jack in from vaccines. But congrats on the big bonus nonetheless!!

I'm not saying it isn't big business. It most certainly is. And, yes, lots of companies profit. But I think you guys are overinflating the public panic effect on the industry. Even in a relatively quiet flu season vaccine production is big business. And in a panic situation the vaccine manufacturers can only make so much. The swing from good to bad seasons isn't that huge. And from what I understand on the manufacturer side overproduction it is somewhat of a risky venture. There is a very short window for peak demand. If they have production issues/delays they can find themselves too late in the demand cycle and get stuck holding the bag.

As for the idea of not wanting a flu vaccine, I'm just not even going to go there. There's tons of literature exploring the pros and cons, and the pros overwhelm the cons hugely.
    Just look at my face. You can tell I post at HPOTD.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Trin View Post
    You guys are somewhat ridiculously uninformed on everything from how a vaccine works, to vaccine production, to drug manufacturer and distributor stake. Just saying.
    I am under the impression that a vaccine uses a mild or low dose of the virus in order to get your antibodies or whatever up so your bosy able to fight it more effectively.

If that is wrong please do enlighten me.

One thing I'm sure I'm not ill informed of though is human nature and how corps. never miss a chance to make a buck and how gov't keeps us frightened, keeps a boogeyman everpresent in order to keep us fearful and under control.

Plus it's 3:30 in the morning so fuck it.

United States
    Really? Well lay it on us, because I work in the biotech industry and have for the past 12 years producing vaccines - not to mention, I know Dj's company actually produces the swine flu vaccine. So please, tell us how we're misinformed.

The link in the OP is really talking about bacterial infection, not viral. If you want to get personally scared for your health imagine having a bacteria that cannot be killed via antibiotics. That's potentially far worse than a flu for your average healthy person. And far more costly to the healthcare system than the largest flu vaccine run.
    My comments about antibiotics and virus' were a generalization based on the fact that it's either going to be a nasty bacteria or a nasty virus that wipes us out some day. And just so you're aware, there already are some bacteria strains that are resistant to many/most antibiotics... why? Overuse of the antibiotics and the morphing of the bacteria strain. MRSA (methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus) is just one example of many.

This was just posted yesterday: Are you ready for a world without antibiotics?

@deej - I'm guessing you either work for Glaxo or Novartis since of the 6 vaccine manufacturers they are the only two even approaching 16 Billion in profits for 2009.
    Not true, and he works for neither one.

And in a panic situation the vaccine manufacturers can only make so much.
    When you say "can only make so much" - are you referring to production of the vaccine or profits?

It would take simple research to realize that the swine flu vaccine was WAY overproduced.

As for the idea of not wanting a flu vaccine, I'm just not even going to go there. There's tons of literature exploring the pros and cons, and the pros overwhelm the cons hugely.
    Hmmm... So, the idea that the swine flu vaccine was rushed onto the market in 6 months with barely any research into the long term effects of it makes it safe? How can you say the pros overwhelm the cons when speaking about the swing flu vaccine when we don't even know the long term effects of the vaccine? I work in the industry, and let me tell you, NOTHING gets rushed through the system and approved by the FDA in 6 months. It NEVER happens, but it did in this case. Many drugs take years, even decades to get approved - yet I'm supposed to believe that a drug pushed thorugh in 6 months has been properly tested for efficacy and saftey?
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 13-Aug-2010 at 01:15 PM.

Twitching

United States
    To be precise,
    Vaccines use dead, "significantly weakened", or structurally compromised copies of the virus to be guarded against, depending on product.

I definitely believe globalism will hasten the arrival of the next major pandemic. Especially when combined with skyrocketing antibiotic resistance.

The government is doing society no favors by allowing the sort of scare tactics that have been used to date. Reminds me of the fable concerning the Multinational Drug Conglomerate Who Cried Wolf.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyldwraith View Post
    To be precise,
    Vaccines use dead, "significantly weakened", or structurally compromised copies of the virus to be guarded against, depending on product.

I definitely believe globalism will hasten the arrival of the next major pandemic. Especially when combined with skyrocketing antibiotic resistance.

The government is doing society no favors by allowing the sort of scare tactics that have been used to date. Reminds me of the fable concerning the Multinational Drug Conglomerate Who Cried Wolf.
    And wyld diffuses the situation!

That's what I though but as usual you articulated it better than I did.