Thread: US deserter to be deported from Canada...

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada

US deserter to be deported from Canada...

OK, yes the iraq is an immoral, murderous waste of lives and money BUT this dude volunteered for the military. he had already gotten conscientious objector status and had been placed in a non-combat role.

as a veteran i don't have a lot of patience for this sort of nonsense. no one made this guy join the army and becoming a conscientious objector when you find out you are going to a combat zone strikes me as, well, a bit of a cop out.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/americ....ap/index.html

note: i placed this in media instead of general discussion because it revolves around a news story. it probably could go in either room though.
    Last edited by Mike70; 14-Aug-2008 at 12:13 PM.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I never knew you were a veteran...

How can you run after signing up, anyway? What a goon...

*starts counting down the time it takes for this to turn into a political thread where everyone insults each other...*

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    No insults here. The army is not my thing, military is not my thing, at all....so I didn't, and haven't, and won't, join the army...makes sense doesn't it? The dude should've thought about that before signing up....there's a chance he might go to combat. However I will say that some of the techniques that various military bodies employ to get people to sign up is disgusting and a high pressure situation, so there is that to consider. They've been known to follow people around trying to get them to sign up....ugh

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I was talking to a guy yesterday, and he said:

People are afraid of change. People are afraid of people who change their minds. People are afraid of being changed.

Well, this is a case of a guy being changed. He signed up for something he believed in, and got something which changed his mind to the more reasonable. How hard is that to understand, really? We, as humans, we evolve. We develop.

"War is sweet to those who have not known it.". Well, before he signed up, he hadn't known it. Now he has, and it changed him.

EDIT: Sorry, read the article. The guy never even got shipped over. In that case, why did he sign up?

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post
    I never knew you were a veteran...
    yep. i was in the army, 10th mountain division, for 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Well, this is a case of a guy being changed. He signed up for something he believed in, and got something which changed his mind to the more reasonable. How hard is that to understand, really? We, as humans, we evolve. We develop.
    a good point. in my case after 3 years in the military my opinion and view of it changed radically. it is not a commitment to be entered into lightly, because once you're in, you're in.
    Last edited by Mike70; 14-Aug-2008 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    While I don't believe in or support the war in IRAQ, I am thankful there are men and women who volunteer to protect my freedom and rights on a daily basis. I do applaud them for that, and I am thankful for the sacrifices veterans of past wars have made for mine and everyones freedoms.

Although i would never join the military, even if I could I wouldn't, it doesn't stop me from being thankful for those that have.

Scipio, since you are veteran, thank you for what you have done.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    Scipio, since you are veteran, thank you for what you have done.
    your very welcome.

i'd like to put a shout out to professor chaos and exatreides too. both vets of the wars in iraq and afghanistan. if there are others out there, let us know. i'd like to recognize you all for what you've done.
    Last edited by Mike70; 14-Aug-2008 at 08:11 PM.

England
    What a dick! If you aren't willing to go where you are deployed, don't join the frigging army....jeez! I hope this guy gets the book thrown at him.

My sincere thanks to all the people of the British Army who join up to protect folks like me, and my respect to all the people serving in the armed forces of our allies.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Chasing Prey

Canada
    non combat and one weekend a month guys are having their rights stripped which sucks

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    What a dick! If you aren't willing to go where you are deployed, don't join the frigging army....jeez! I hope this guy gets the book thrown at him.
    I agree.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    I hope this guy gets the book thrown at him.
    it will certainly be interesting to see what happens to this guy. since he is classified as a deserter and there are a couple of wars on, the penalties could be really severe. somehow i doubt this guy is going to get hammered.

the thing i find super irritating about this story is that the guy decided that he was a conscientious objector after he signed up. ok. the military accomadates that and puts him in a non-combat role but he still takes off. i don't get that.

i hold no grudge against anyone who evaded the draft by going to canada. that is an entirely different situation from the one in the article. no one forced this guy to join. he volunteered. that is what has me a bit irate.