Thread: ^$)#&*@ Xbox 360!

United States

^$)#&*@ Xbox 360!

So, my son is working on his 3rd Xbox 360. Previous 2 RROD'd on him, but M$ did indeed replace them (not prior to him going through worse-than-heroin-withdraws without it for a few weeks), however, last night we had a bit of a scare and I wanted to see if anyone else has had this happen or should I expect the worst - mind you, he's now out of the 'warranty replacement' period for the RROD:

Last night, he was playing Red Dead Redemption, and he said in the middle of playing he heard a weird "click" in the 360, then >bam< instant RROD. He came downstairs to tell me about and was NOT happy. I told him to shut it off, wait 2-3 minutes, then fire it back up and see what happens. I personally expected it to be fucked, but....

Luckily, he waited and fired it back up and it was fine. Has been playing it since it happened (about 36 hours ago) and everthing seems fine.... for now.

So, are we heading for a permanent RROD, or does this just happen sometimes? We've never seen it happen this way - usually, it's when you fire up the 360, it just doesn't start and you get the RROD - this was in the middle of playing a game! Also, we checked the disc in the drive, it wasn't damaged, so I have no idea what the "click" was or why it decided to RROD in the first place.

I'm getting really tired of this shit. When that thing permanently decides to RROD and not come back on, I think I might throw in the towel and get him a PS3 and sell off the rest of his 360 shit, 'cause this is just getting stupid. I mean, I've read about people on their 4th, 5th, and 6th Xbox360's - I can understand it happening once, perhaps twice, but 5 times? Jesus...

I think this needs to be put on a shirt:

Edited to add: Yes, he has it in a completely open area with plenty of ventilation, although I'm thinking about ripping a fan out of something I have sitting around (one of the small "muffin fans" like in your computer or in your computers power supply) and setting it right next to the vent holes of the 360. Everyone seems to think this is an overheating issue, and I don't disagree, but I've read that some don't believe that is the only issue. Talk about frustrating...
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 15-Jun-2010 at 07:44 PM.

United States
    Time to sell that sucker for all it's worth and put it toward the end of RRoD forever:

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Is there some sort of intercooler device attached? Because it's the only time something like that has ever happened to me.

It was coming loose, causing a bad connection between it and the 360.

Try checking your connections.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by CoinReturn View Post
    Time to sell that sucker for all it's worth and put it toward the end of RRoD forever:

Somehow, I don't trust M$ nor the "new" Xbox slim.

Speaking of which, isn't it interesting the 360 is getting slimmer while the people playing it are getting larger?

Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    Is there some sort of intercooler device attached? Because it's the only time something like that has ever happened to me.
    Nope, no cooler whatsoever. I heard those intercoolers devices can cause some troubles, so I never bothered with one, which is why I want to put one of those small computer fans on the side just to keep the air moving.

I'll check his connections tonight when I get home. Perhaps one of his wires pulled loose from the power supply or something. Would not surprise me. Thanks for the tip.

***Update 06/17/10: Well, checked the connections, didn't seem to have a problem there. He's been playing it since this happened and it hasn't reoccurred, so I'm hoping for the best but expecting the worst.
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 17-Jun-2010 at 12:26 PM.