Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MZ's "X-Men" franchise review bonanza...

Super Moderator

UK

Cool MZ's "X-Men" franchise review bonanza...

Well, I recently saw the Wolverine movie, then I got the X-Men trilogy box set (I'd seen none of the X-Men movies until this past week) - and as such, here's what I thought of the whole lot (in chronological order, which was also the order in which I saw them):

X-Men Origins: Wolverine:
    http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2009/05...wolverine.html

X-Men:
    http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2009/05/x-men.html

X-Men 2:
    http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2009/05/x-men-2.html

X-Men 3:
    http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2009/05/x-men-3.html
    For the most likely naff all people who've not seen X3 yet, this review/musing contains a bunch of spoilers.

Last edited by MinionZombie; 17-May-2009 at 12:11 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    You write "sod all", "fuck all" and "bugger all" alot...

Anyway, haven't seen the origins flick. Have no interest in doing so.

Super Moderator

United States
    I have to agree with you on how weak X3 was. It was farcical and ultimately felt pointless, even for a comic book, superhero flick, while its predecessors in the series managed a decent sparkle of character and intensity.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    I have to agree with you on how weak X3 was. It was farcical and ultimately felt pointless, even for a comic book, superhero flick, while its predecessors in the series managed a decent sparkle of character and intensity.
    Indeed.

It's a real shame with X3 - if only the Singer and the writers of X2 had been involved, it would have turned out far better.

As it stands, I don't know what the fuck they were thinking with X3 ... beyond well executed special effects and slam-bangery, it's just pish.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I actually thought X2 was the weakest of the bunch. It lacked momentum and tempo (kinda like Superman Returns!). I like the first one best.

Super Moderator

UK
    You thought X3 was better than X2?!

*faints*

I've heard other people say that, and I just cannot understand it whatsoever...it's as incomprehensible as ... as ... as the script to X3.

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    But... Jugernaut! Ya gotta have the Jugernaut! Best part of the third film though, so that's that. My favorite still is and always will be the first one.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by blind2d View Post
    But... Jugernaut! Ya gotta have the Jugernaut! Best part of the third film though, so that's that. My favorite still is and always will be the first one.
    For me, I think a large portion of the problem was it being played by Vinnie Jones - everytime I see him I just think "Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels" - gangster stuff ... not in a rubber body suit looking like a giant throbbing cock.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Haven't seen the origins film, but X2 is the best, followed by the original, and I totally agree with you on X3.

Not being a big fan of the Xmen, I'm glad Singer ditched X3 for Superman. I love Superman Returns. Still hoping he makes Man of Steel....

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Haven't seen the origins film, but X2 is the best, followed by the original, and I totally agree with you on X3.

Not being a big fan of the Xmen, I'm glad Singer ditched X3 for Superman. I love Superman Returns. Still hoping he makes Man of Steel....
    Interesting...

I thought Superman Returns was rubbish when I saw it ... plus I can't stand Kate Bosworth.

Valkyrie - despite the silly issue with the accents, and being 'a bit Hollywood' - is a lot better, and is well directed. It's a surprisingly tense movie. I blogged about it a couple of weeks ago.

Origins would definitely sit higher than X3, but below X1 and X2.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I thought Superman Returns was rubbish when I saw it ... plus I can't stand Kate Bosworth.
    Yeah, SR seems to be 50/50. Either you like it or hate it. There is no grey area.

I thought it was a great way to bring the character back without having to do an origins film. But on the other hand, some people wanted an origin film with more action so they weren't too happy with a slower, character-driven film.

As I said, I liked it and would love to see Singer's follow up as he had promised that now with the origin or "return" story out of the way, he can get to the more original storyline that he had planned to turn into a trilogy. Sadly...we may never see it. I guess they can always go back to McG or Burton's idea for Superman:

]
    Last edited by bassman; 18-May-2009 at 02:06 PM.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Yeah, SR seems to be 50/50. Either you like it or hate it. There is no grey area.

I thought it was a great way to bring the character back without having to do an origins film. But on the other hand, some people wanted an origin film with more action so they weren't too happy with a slower, character-driven film.

As I said, I liked it and would love to see Singer's follow up as he had promised that now with the origin or "return" story out of the way, he can get to the more original storyline that he had planned to turn into a trilogy. Sadly...we may never see it. I guess they can always go back to McG or Burton's idea for Superman:

]

Yeah, the version where Superman fights a giant spider.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Interesting...

Yeah, X1 & 2 I liked in spite of myself & the changes made, but Superman Returns I wasn't impressed with either. 1 & 2 were good for their day, but trying to tap the same vibe today, just didn't work somehow. Hated the whole Lois/married/kid angle too...a lot...

IMO they should have taken direction from the comics where they de-powered him a BIT so that you can throw some credible challenges his way. Superman as the most powerful superhero on the planet? I can dig that. A god with no limits who can do anything...eh...too much (even the 1st one with too far in that respect IMO. The second? I think that's one reason a lot of people dig it, is he's up a against a challenge equal to himself x3)

Some version of the Doomsday storyline would have been interesting, IMO, though I don't know how it would have been for a "comeback" film...But then again the comeback film we got makes me wonder if there will ever be another...

United States
    Liked the X-Men movies, and was looking forward to Wolverine (which I enjoyed). He's my favorite mutant - seems to have more depth and vitality to him. Plus Hugh Jackman plays him awesomely.
    Didn't want to see Superman Returns, so didn't.
    Last edited by DawnGirl27; 19-May-2009 at 11:54 PM.

Super Moderator

United States
    With regards to the Juggernaut, I'll just say this...ol' Juggs is a great comic book character, but he was horribly mishandled and looked utterly asinine the way they had him mocked up. I swear they just put him in there so he could throw out that silly "I'm the Juggernaut Bitch" trope

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany