Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: ES : Oblivion.

Fiji

ES : Oblivion.

i grabbed this Over chrome hounds this past weekend, and i'll give it points for the 15 minutes Patrick stewart has been in it. but seriously, this game is fuggin boring.

i'm about 2 hours in and i'm just notseeing what all the fanfare was about. the customizations you can make to your character are pretty cookie cutter. the combat system is so basic, it's kind of absurd. and at this point i'm going to finish it only to see what the hell the overall plot is.

i think i should have bought chrome hounds.

United Kingdom
    Gotta say that it is slow going all the way through, and the beginning drains on you a bit in the sewers, but I love this game now and just cant put it down the best 40 odd quid i ever spent.

Fiji
    when does it get fun?

i'm out of the sewers. i explored that underground cave/lake/ruins area on the way to give the pendant-o-glowystuff to that guy.

now i'm at the "structure" where the map told me to go to give that guy that pendant, and it's been over run by these conquistadore looking asshats.

Administrator

England
    I played it a fair amount, but then all of a sudden just lost all interest in it... And that was that! Sort of glad as I don't have a lot of free time so sort of glad I've regained a little of it
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United Kingdom
    stand nex to the glowing gate and go activate, you will find it gets tougher in here.

But maybe its just not your thing.

Fiji
    that's where i'm at.

at 2 hours in of wnadering and killing. my character hasn't progressed that much, and i'm quagmired in this horrible combat system.

this game feels like a trainer for what could be a decent RPG. but it's making no attempt to be excellent. I think Elder scrolls is like the Madden games. alot of hype for the brand names, then same-o same-o game play.

i'll give it a week and then see where i'm at.

United States
    I have to agree, the game starts out pretty slow. Once you level up a few times, learn new spells, and join guilds (Dark Brotherhood ftw), things pick up. Lots of dungeons with cool loot too. And I like the fact that you can completely ignore the main quest and go off in to the wilderness. Also, talking to random people will lead you on quests sometimes, so don't be afraid to wander.

My second favorite RPG of all time.

England
    Quote Originally Posted by p2501
    that's where i'm at.

at 2 hours in of wnadering and killing. my character hasn't progressed that much, and i'm quagmired in this horrible combat system.

this game feels like a trainer for what could be a decent RPG. but it's making no attempt to be excellent. I think Elder scrolls is like the Madden games. alot of hype for the brand names, then same-o same-o game play.

i'll give it a week and then see where i'm at.
    I've seen plenty of posts like this and i must admit i felt exactly the same when i first started playing it. It was about 16 hours in when it struck me what a great game it is and i just couldn't put it down. As someone mentioned above, the dark brotherhood guild is the best one for storyline. I've hardly touched the main quest.
    It does get repetitive later on though and turns into -go to this place, fight this enemy, get object, return to original place.
    The general concensus seems to be that hardened RPG players don't see what all the fuss is about and newbies like myself think its superb.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Fiji
    Coin + Kid. i'm going to stick it out, and see where i end up later this week.

i do agree with Kid, in that i've been playing RPG's since i had my NES, so i've had a fair share of greatness and crap games. Oblivion could be excellent, but i'm skeptical of it going that way.

England
    BTW i see you like BF2MC online.
    You've gotta try COD2 online - unbelievable good game but no vehicles in MP
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Fiji
    it's on my list. i'm going to grab it after i buy and finish gears of war.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    To be serious, Oblivion just isn't for everyone. I love the game, even though i've played it to death. But it's a great game still. There's so much to do. So many quests to solve. So many places to explore. I love these kind of games.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    just like evilned says it really aint for everyone im a long time elder scrolls fan so since i bought it last week i havent been off it and im currnelty at lvl 18 but the last story quest i did was about a week ago at the cloud ruler temple, its mutch more fun to do what you want and save the storyline till the very last second, and yeah i finished the dark brotherhood story yesterday and it kicks ass.
    my advice is lvl a bit from exploring till about lvl 9 at least then join the guilds and start doing quests for them its more fun and you explore more and get way better armour and stuff, basically go to uhh.....skingrad or chorrel and do the following quests for the dumner whos dressed in green till the end then kill him then rest in somewere like the fighters guild and youll be approached by a speaker from the dark brotherhood.

and yeah as basic as the combat is you dont really fight in the dark brotherhood.

e.g: in an early mission you sneak into a mansion at night and through it to a hidden area behind a wall ,wait till 8pm and unscrew a decoration to crush someone sitting below it and it gets better from there.

United Kingdom
    Well I for one love Oblivion and have been playing rpg like games since ff1, kings quest, space quest etc...

But I can understand how it would get boring for some people. But the reason why I bought the xbox 360 was for the dead rising game I just hope it turns out to be everything I hoped it would be.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    come on man oblivion IS boring i still like it just like shenmue 2 but it is boring as sin compared to stuff like call of duty 2.