Thread: Before you photo copy your ass on a copier you should read this

Banned User

United States

Before you photo copy your ass on a copier you should read this

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/22352

Copier + Hard Drive: A Dangerous Combination

Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:04PM EDT

It sounds like a slam dunk: Put a hard drive into a standard photocopier, so (depending on the copier's configuration) you can have a digital version of anything you run through the machine. That way, if the original is ever lost, you can always run back to the backup. (I hadn't realized this, but copiers have been including hard drives for five years now.)
    But now people are finally waking up to the wrinkle in this plan, which should have been obvious: What do people use copiers for, anyway? Yes, for company flyers and employee manuals, but also for tax returns, insurance cards, photo IDs, and Social Security paperwork. Now what happens when that copier gets old and is sold on eBay? Gulp.

Copiers are hardly highly-secure devices, and such data could be accessed via a network connection, too.
    The wake-up call is, surprisingly, being delivered by Sharp, a manufacturer of these devices. The company polled Americans and found that 54 percent of those surveyed had no idea that photocopiers stored digital versions of everything put on the glass. Count me in the majority, I guess.

What to do? Naturally, Sharp (and presumably other companies too) are promoting its newer copiers, which encrypt digitally stored copies and "virtually shred" recent ones so they can't be recovered. If you've got such features on your office machine, make sure you use them. But also remember that next time you make copies at Kinko's or another copy shop, you could be leaving behind a copy of anything you reproduce. Behave accordingly.
    Last edited by HLS; 16-Mar-2007 at 11:01 PM. Reason: typo in title

United Kingdom
    And I was so looking forward to writing "KISS THIS" on my ass and photocopying it

Although come to think of it, it would still be a suitable message for anyone trying to steal my ID.
    La freak, c'est chic!

.:Twitter:.:Facebook:.:Blogspot:.

United States
    Think that's bad? Xerox has some high end photocopiers / printers that have a LAN port on them. How about potentially exposing your photocopies to anyone with an internet connection?

Beware the beast, man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death.
    - 23rd Sacred Scroll, 6th verse

Banned User

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Chic Freak View Post
    And I was so looking forward to writing "KISS THIS" on my ass and photocopying it

Although come to think of it, it would still be a suitable message for anyone trying to steal my ID.

HAHA ya thats a good one