Thread: For cell phone uses: IMPORTANT

Chasing Prey

Canada

For cell phone uses: IMPORTANT

In one of the most significant legal rulings in the tech industry this year, a Superior Court judge in California has ruled that the practice of charging consumers a fee for ending their cell phone contract early is illegal and violates state law.

The preliminary, tentative judgment orders Sprint Nextel to pay customers $18.2 million in reimbursements and, more importantly, orders Sprint to stop trying to collect another $54.7 million from California customers (some 2 million customers total) who have canceled their contracts but refused or failed to pay the termination fee.

While an appeal is inevitable, the ruling could have massive fallout throughout the industry. Without the threat of levying early termination fees, the cellular carriers lose the power that's enabled them to lock customers into contracts for multiple years at a time. And while those contracts can be heinously long, they also let the carriers offer cell phone hardware at reduced (subsidized) prices. AT&T's two-year contract is the only reason the iPhone 3G costs $199. If subsidies vanish, what happens to hardware lock-in? Could an era of expensive, but unlocked, hardware be just around the corner? It's highly probable.

Of course, the carriers aren't going to take this lying down. Early termination fees are seen as critical to business, so carriers are expected to look for ways to reclassify the fees (such as by calling them "rates," part of the arcane set of laws that covers the telecommunications industry). The industry is also pushing for the federal government to step in and claim oversight over the early termination fee issue, which would invalidate any state ruling. The FCC is generally more tolerant of such fees, though Chairman Kevin Martin has proposed a plan whereby the fees are decreased the closer you are to the end of your contract.

The FCC may also buy the argument that, since carriers are nationally based (and consumers can use their phones anywhere in the country), that a single policy should apply across the nation, rather than creating a patchwork of legislation that could lead to confusion and chaos caused by having 50 different policies.

Is the early termination fee dead? Not yet, but it's looking a little haggard.

United States
    That is great news.

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Bub666 View Post
    That is great news.

HELL YEA

Super Moderator

Germany
    I have a friend who works in intelligence. He insinuated that I should not talk about sensitive subjects when my cell phone is on...implying that the cellphone can act as a bug and allow the government to listen in on my conversation even though the phone is not being used.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaos View Post
    I have a friend who works in intelligence. He insinuated that I should not talk about sensitive subjects when my cell phone is on...implying that the cellphone can act as a bug and allow the government to listen in on my conversation even though the phone is not being used.
    You what?!

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaos View Post
    Be wary of your cable box, too. I haven't had a cable TV box for nearly a decade (DVD players are cable-ready for anyone that's not a complete idiot), but my cable provider is now insisting that I have one.

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by DubiousComforts View Post
    Be wary of your cable box, too. I haven't had a cable TV box for nearly a decade (DVD players are cable-ready for anyone that's not a complete idiot), but my cable provider is now insisting that I have one.
    in that case, i wont be getting cable anytime soon.

also how will it identify u if u lose weight?
    Last edited by acealive1; 01-Aug-2008 at 06:06 PM.

United States
    I gave up my cell phone like 2 years ago. I was tired of all their various charges. I recently got a TracPhone and I love it! I just pay for blocks of minutes. No contracts. None.

And it works great too!

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by sandrock74 View Post
    I gave up my cell phone like 2 years ago. I was tired of all their various charges. I recently got a TracPhone and I love it! I just pay for blocks of minutes. No contracts. None.

And it works great too!

you're getting hosed

i have a t mobile phone, no contract u just pay for months u want to use it.

$62 gets u service for 30 days, fave five,voice mail, caller id etc etc. ohh and unlimited texting. free nights and weekends too

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by acealive1 View Post
    in that case, i wont be getting cable anytime soon.

also how will it identify u if u lose weight?
    I'm wondering how it will identify midgets... um, little persons.

Also, would it screw up direct marketing if I wore nothing but women's underwear around the house?

(Not that I do, I'm just wondering... oh alright, I do wear women's underwear.)

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DubiousComforts View Post
    I'm wondering how it will identify midgets... um, little persons.

Also, would it screw up direct marketing if I wore nothing but women's underwear around the house?

(Not that I do, I'm just wondering... oh alright, I do wear women's underwear.)
    Dubious. . you butch man you. .
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Chasing Prey

Canada
    back on topic,gents

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by acealive1 View Post
    you're getting hosed

i have a t mobile phone, no contract u just pay for months u want to use it.

$62 gets u service for 30 days, fave five,voice mail, caller id etc etc. ohh and unlimited texting. free nights and weekends too
    How am I getting hosed? My service goes until April 2010 (I can increase it anytime I want) and I also get double minutes for the life of my phone. Voicemail, caller ID, texting, etc is all included. I'm happy.