Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Day of the Dead (1985) versions

Banned User

Undisclosed

Day of the Dead (1985) versions

So I have a one-disc region 2 bare bones version of Day and also a newer two-disc remastered version both from Arrow Films. The weird thing is that the newer 2-disc version is only 97 minutes long and the older version (a bad transfer too) is 102 minutes long! wtf?

It would be nice to see a remastered edition of the full 102 minute cut.

And also, does anyone know what was cut?

capncnut
    Nothing was cut, it's just the difference between R1 and R2 transfer speed.
    Last edited by capncnut; 03-Oct-2009 at 08:00 PM.

Banned User

Undisclosed
    I checked the running times of both versions in my dvd player and the earlier dvd is 5 minutes longer, both are Region 2. Five minutes is far too long to be just an affect of a transfer.

102 minutes

97 minutes

Last edited by octo7; 03-Oct-2009 at 07:53 PM.

capncnut
    Well, if it's not transfer speed then I honestly have no idea. But I can assure you that nothing has been cut from the 97 minute version.

Banned User

Undisclosed
    Strange though, its kind of inexplicable because the different runtimes are legit. I read somewhere that the BBFC released a 97 minute version to video with five minutes cut when it was first released in the UK and Ireland so perhaps its that version? And i also read that there was an unrated directors cut released to video at the same time so there are definitely two different versions of Day out there.

IMDB lists the runtime as 102 minutes but Norway is 97, Australia 97 and Canada 96. i know for sure that the Canadian version had a lot of scenes cut such as the autopsy being much shorter and the scene where the guy gets his face ripped off being completely removed.
    Last edited by octo7; 03-Oct-2009 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

capncnut
    I remember the original UK VHS version of Day and it was cut terribly. Fortunately I was able to acquire an uncut American VHS copy before it was finally released on DVD. I think that version was 101 minutes.

For all the versions that have subsequently been released on DVD, I have never noticed anything different. But I do acknowledge that there are differences in running time.

Banned User

Undisclosed
    hmm weird. i will watch both of them and see what the deal is. i have already seen Day about 20 times though so it feels like a bit of a chore : (

Australia
    The 97 minute version would be the PAL running time. If the 102 minute version is also in PAL, then it is likely to be a NTSC->PAL conversion.

Native PAL has speed up, but is progressive. NTSC->PAL is interlaced.
    "28 Days Later came out after we started (Dawn 04). Our zombies were running before we knew what their zombies were." - Zack Snyder, LIAR.

Banned User

Undisclosed
    Yeah i ended up watching the 97 minute version last night and i couldnt see any difference.

I think Day and Zombie 2 are the two most disturbing Zombie flicks ever made, watched them both back to back last night and had'nt seen either in a couple of years. There are far more violent zombie flicks (Braindead for example) but those two have an unsettling atmosphere and really extreme gore in small doses which makes it more disturbing.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    The 97 minute version would be the PAL running time. If the 102 minute version is also in PAL, then it is likely to be a NTSC->PAL conversion.

Native PAL has speed up, but is progressive. NTSC->PAL is interlaced.
    Spot on....it's a framerate issue.

NTSC has 30fps (frames per second) whilst PAL has 25fps - I *think* it's a 4% difference in running time all told - I bet if you do the maths it reaches 4%...
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Banned User

Undisclosed
    I couldnt find any information anywhere which is how i stumbled upon this forum so i joined up to ask the people in the know. glad i signed up now as it seems like a good community

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by octo7 View Post
    I couldnt find any information anywhere which is how i stumbled upon this forum so i joined up to ask the people in the know. glad i signed up now as it seems like a good community
    Yes, please stick around!!!

Just remember to bar all your doors and windows...
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Banned User

Undisclosed
    indeed. no cheap wood in my house!

United States
    Notice that one of the hands through the wall grabs her breast in the beginning of the VHS version. In a directors commentary she mentioned her husband was on the set that day and did it as a joke.

Beware the beast, man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death.
    - 23rd Sacred Scroll, 6th verse

Banned User

Undisclosed
    lol i never noticed that. Did you see in the specal features she literally has not aged at all? she looks hotter now