Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saints Row The Third - Official Discussion Thread

United States

Cool Saints Row The Third - Official Discussion Thread

Has some zombie shenanigans..and Burt Reynolds!
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 18-Nov-2011 at 05:37 PM.
    If Kim Kardashian died tommorrow from a dick overdose I'd call her a dumb whore and move on, because that's what she was - Darth Los

Super Moderator

UK
    I was going to start a thread up about this game, but if you don't mind childofgilead, I'd like to make this the official discussion thread for the game.

I haven't gotten to the zombie activity yet ... indeed I only just got the game today (November 15th in USA, November 18th here in the UK) ... anyway - so far so good.

Naturally I'm running around as a busty femme in just her pants - what about everyone else?

I've had just over two hours on it so far and I'm having a lot of fun ... there's a few things to get used to. There's so much to do and so many new things to play around with, and so many general tweaks, that it can all be a bit overwhelming at first, but I'll get into it gradually. The first mission is bloody good fun - a bank heist - and then the second is, of course, that one on the plane that we saw gameplay videos of a while back.

Anyone else enjoying themselves some SR3 - and childofgilead - what's the zombie activity like?
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 18-Nov-2011 at 05:38 PM.

Administrator

England
    I Loved Saints Row and Saints Row 2 and i love the look of this but its gonna have to wait until payday for me im afraid. Got my new game of the month when i bought arkham city lol

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    so you are the two guys who bought this instead of skyrim

Administrator

England
    Skyrim looks shit

Super Moderator

UK
    Hmmm ... Skyrim and SR3 are two very different types of games, I'd say ... there'll be some cross-over in the sorts of people who play it, sure, but a large amount? I'm not entirely sure. I have noticed a LOT of advertising going into Skyrim though - I've seen that advert on TV so many times now ... meanwhile SR3 haven't done any as far as I can tell. It seems they've more gone the online route ... but then if you're dedicated to the brand/franchise, you'll no doubt get it anyway. I'm sure Skyrim is very good - although it's just not my kind of game personally.

The main problem around this time is there are just so many games coming out within a short space of time - meanwhile the rest of the year is often barren of new releases.

Anyway - was up until 2am last night playing this, hehe - clocked up 4.5 hours so far - there's just so much to see and do; here's some observations:

1) The world might be overall smaller than SR2, but I'd wager (if that is the case, and not just my imagination running wild) that's down to the sheer volume of stuff you can do within the game. There's only so much space on a disc after all.

2) Graphics wise it's a welcome step-up for the franchise. SR2 looked a bit underwhelming when it came out (I had been expecting a better sheen to it back then after GTA IV).

3) Driving - the mechanics have been improved. SR2 had pretty sloppy and very arcadey controls - here they've put some actual effort into the vehicles controls. The handbreak is replaced with a drift button (that acts as a handbreak until you hold it down for longer, then it sends your car into a slithery slippy slalom of sliding - which does make it a bit tricky/impossible to do consecutive donuts on-the-spot ... but you can slide about like a silly bugger). The helicopters - only used one, and it was briefly as part of a mission - feel a bit stiff perhaps. Maybe I'll get used to it. There's a number of really good cars - and thankfully the Boot Legger is back!

4) The in-game phone - excellent - so much control within one device (including the ability - at long last - to have your money wired into your account on-the-hoof, so you don't have to keep going back to safe houses to get money from your safes). You control missions, side quests, your map, your money, your upgrades and more with the phone. It's an excellent improvement.

5) Customisation - if you like that kind of thing, you're in for a treat. Your own character, your gang, vehicles, weapons, cribs, there's a lot to customise. Particularly for you personally - as you earn money you can buy upgrades to your character (e.g. health boosts, faster drops in notoriety, special moves, etc etc etc).

6) The radio - the little I've heard of it anyway - is definitely an improvement over SR1 and SR2. They'll never be able to get to that level of 'pull over and just listen' that GTA has routinely exhibited, but it's definitely better than the previous games in the SR franchise.

7) UAV - it's awesome.

8) Assassination missions - vastly improved over SR2. You get clear instructions, you're guided to the particular area automatically, your target is highlighted with a target icon, etc - it makes it far better than SR2 which was like finding a needle in a hay stack and un-user-friendly.

9) Counters appear now-and-then to show your progress in certain things (e.g. how many "Bo-Duke-En" moves you've done - i.e. using the "awesome button" (LB) and "Y" to enter vehicles in a fancy manner - do that particular move 50 times and you get an achievement, and helpfully it informs you of how far along that task you are as you go). Speaking of the Bo-Duke-En move, it's very handy when surrounded by lots of cops - if you want to get out of the line of fire quickly and make a sharp exit, use that move to leap into a car very fast ... it's a slight nuisance though that you don't have the reverse option when a vehicle is on fire though.

10) So far the cops seem more robust (SWAT, Humvees with Mini-Guns on board - which I frequently steal and unleash upon them - tanks etc) - however I've sure this will balance out with character upgrades (better health recovery, receive less damage, deal out more damage with better weapons, less notoriety, back-up etc).

I've barely scratched the surface of the game so far - I've not even started on any activities - but yeah, it's good.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 19-Nov-2011 at 10:11 AM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I have noticed a LOT of advertising going into Skyrim though - I've seen that advert on TV so many times now ... meanwhile SR3 haven't done any as far as I can tell.
    Not down with tim and eric? officially old man tier.

Great job.

Super Moderator

UK
    Danny - I mean TV adverts. Like I said, they've been doing lots of online stuff - more of a viral approach.

However I'm not down with Tim & Eric ... not my cup of tea, personally.

Another thing in the game - collectibles - for instance, photo opportunities with adoring fans (you even sign an autograph during the opening bank heist ), and crate loads of sex dolls (really). I found the first one of those at the airport near the water at one end of the runway.

-- -------- Post added at 06:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:53 PM ----------

Another couple of hours, and my character now owns the massive purple-dildo-on-a-stick that you can twat people with.

Nipple pasties over the gigantic gazongas really does add a touch of class to my character, I must say.

Finally gotten into some activities - Insurance Fraud is back (and so far it plays a little better than before), and I did a Tank Mayhem (blow EVERYTHING up ), oh and one of Professor Ghenki's "Super Ethical Reality Climax" shows (like a series of rooms filled with flamethrowers, electricity, gun-toting Furries, and bonus boards, with sportscaster commentary to boot).

I'm trying to boost my income at the moment on the game. There's so many abilities and upgrades I wanna buy and never enough money to do so ... it'd be nice if the cash flowed a little more generously to begin with; not too much, but a little bit more.

A nice addition though - to perhaps balance the tougher cops - is the ability to lose ALL notoriety as soon as you step inside any building you own (be it a crib or a business). That's certainly come in handy a few times, hehe. Oh and I've been going mental with the nutshots and stylised takedowns you can do to pedestrians. So stylish. So fun.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 19-Nov-2011 at 05:31 PM.

United States
    Hahaha, yeah, when I read you were running around as a busty woman, I wondered if you were being sensible like me and using the pasties too..the zombie mode is actually a cheat, you just enter in brains on your phone..I'd create a separate save though, as it disables achievements, if those are important to you..

As for Skyrim, yeah, it looks fun, but honestly I'm going to wait until the GOTY version or whatever they're going to call it is released..Bethesda is the WORST for nickel and diming you for DLC and they release ALOT..I just don't feel like dropping more than a hundred bucks into another game..
    If Kim Kardashian died tommorrow from a dick overdose I'd call her a dumb whore and move on, because that's what she was - Darth Los

Super Moderator

UK
    hehe, yep, pasties a-hoy-hoy. It's funny though - you can wear skin coloured pasties which basically looks like full on boobs, but if you actually go nude it pixelates the entire rack ... which is curious.

Yeah I was reading about the cheats and I'd do just that - a new save file specifically for them - but I don't think I'll bother until I've completed the game and done about everything I want to do in-game.

I'm slowly starting to bring more money in - which means better upgrades and weapons. I've been busy taking over gang territory - but I have noticed a bug on occasion - I've used the UAV to take out a gang, but sometimes the area won't actually be cleared as it doesn't register them as a gang to be taken over (as I've not gotten close enough to them to gain their interest and get the red icons above their heads), merely just members of the overall gang - so the icon remains and you just get into a big fire fight. So instead I've taken to cruising around with Shaundi and taking the fight straight to the gangs - lob in some grenades and pick the rest off with my heavy machine gun.

United States
    Hahaha, yeah, I do think that the pixelling is arbitrary, and it's more than a little annoying..*shrug*

Duder..since there is free roam after completion..all's I'm going to say is..get a chopper, fly towards the green cloud..and take plenty of pics!

Edit: Also, final mission..soooo epic and cheesy at the same time.
    Last edited by childofgilead; 22-Nov-2011 at 09:25 PM. Reason: cuz

Super Moderator

UK
    Green cloud, eh? I'm intrigued - is that part of zombie cheat mode?

I've just taken down the first 'boss' - the French guy - and his end came surprisingly quick (in the game overall, I mean). He didn't seem much of a menace, however the mission itself was spiffing (I opted to keep the tower for myself ).

So far the game is very stable (SR2 was glitchy as hell, and during that game I had several instances of losing progress because of post-mission freezes before the autosave could kick in) - so that's a very good thing in SR3. Also, the framerate is excellent (but I'm trying out V-Sync Mode - which has dropped the framerate somewhat, but I'm seeing if it makes a difference at all). So yeah, SR3 is definitely the best version of Saints Row there is - all the positives and negatives of the first two games have been realised.

Mind you, it's still a pain when playing Insurance Fraud at night - there's nowhere near enough traffic to do it, so always make sure to play that activity in the day time ... and they still insist on putting bonus zones at crossroads - where all the damn cars slow down for traffic lights - what's the point in that?! Still though - it's a spiffing game.

United States
    I agree, by and large, this game is a step up from SR2..*but*..

There aren't any fast food, booze stores, no gas stations to randomly walk in and hold up..there doesn't seem to be as many regular people walking around.

And the worst thing are the cars. Have you noticed how when you get up to top speed they constantly just recycle the gear changing sound effects? Ugh..

I dunno..some of those things just scream "rushed product" to me..don't get me wrong, the customization is still fun, though a little more limited than last time, which is honestly the only thing that outshines GTA to me. As far as gunplay and car chases, Rockstar has that shit on lockdown.

Super Moderator

UK
    Yes I did just recently notice the constant gear changing sound effect as a matter of fact (I hadn't noticed due to the radio), but I recently was enjoying the decent car sound effects ... aside from the fact the gears constantly change up (unless each car has like 100 gears ) ... it's not a huge problem for me, but a silly little thing they should have noticed though.

Personally I don't mind not having fast food or booze - it was fairly pointless in SR2, but you can hold up all the other stores. Never noticed there not being enough people walking around though - at night, sure, but during the day there's plenty (which is ideal for the streaking activity).

SR2 on the other hand - now that felt like a rushed product. There were some very sloppy things in that game, but perhaps part of it was down to not having the skillsets they really needed on the production team. It seems (so far at least) like a much more well constructed product.

United States
    I really outta get this game, it's on my list but I keep putting it off.

"To further complicate, I will now state, that your convictions lack definition and form."