Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mass Effect 3 (video game)

United States

Mass Effect 3 (video game)

Since the release is almost here, thought I'd see if there were any other fans here.

In 2007, this was THE GAME that made me pony up and buy a 360. It was the only game I had for weeks and I was FLOORED.

Walking around the Citadel, meeting new races and finding out about their cultures, hell, even driving around the Mako, I wanted to experience every bit of it I could.

When 2 was released, I couldn't buy it day one, but I rented it and even though I didn't care for the "streamlining", still thought it was overall a fun ride.

I've been awaiting the release of 3 like nothing since Red Dead Redemption. Hell, I even have a few of the comics and tie in novels. When I say I'm a geek, I mean it. I liked Star Wars when that shit wasn't cool the first time and was buying the figures all the way into high school.

For ME3 I've, been reading every bit of news I could find, even dipped my toe into the huge leak that happened last year.

I cancelled my pre-order for Assassins Creed: Revelations and put it on ME3. Then, when I went to put some Christmas money and a giftcard down on it, I found that it hadn't been processed right and not only was it not preordered, but they'd stopped taking orders for the collectors edition. So I had to Amazon that shite and now I probably won't get it on release.

Any other Cmndrs. Shepard in here?
    If Kim Kardashian died tommorrow from a dick overdose I'd call her a dumb whore and move on, because that's what she was - Darth Los

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    loved the first, enjoyed the dumbed down sequel, honestly not expecting to buy this one for a few reasons.

1: all biowares recent games, in particular dragon age 2 have been f*cking horrible.
    2: i guarantee sheppard will save everything forever, favouring aliens or humans based on how much of a dick you are.
    3: the recently leaked artbook has shown how many asspulls hamburger helpers team made on the story and in their own words 'we had no idea how it would end in the beginning' and already a leaked script was so bad it was laughed at by cirtics and they claimed they were undergoing a 'complete story redesign'.
    4: the ending fight leaked and its worse than the reaper foetus.
    5: i dont like giving money to E.A at the best of times.
    6: they listen to their fans, a legion of catterwalling yes men and women who petitioned in their tens of thousands for 'options to skip combat sections and only have romance and dialogue options'. proving they dont really care about what is just a fan service project they want to shit out.

I adored the first game but honestly i can't think of a good reason to play this game from a company whos gone downhill faster than squareenix did. having vague similarities to a game i enjoyed years ago isnt enough.
    Last edited by Danny; 11-Feb-2012 at 04:38 PM. Reason: adasd

United States
    I just finished the demo, and it's excellent! There aren't any major changes to the gameplay or speech systems, but the sound effects and music are much improved from ME2 and the characters and writing are still some of the best in gaming.

You can get early access to the demo by going to this Facebook page, launching the app, and playing the decoding game within. If you beat it, you'll get a code for either an avatar item or the demo:

https://apps.facebook.com/xboxmasseffect/uk

I had the same problem as the OP; went into Gamestop to preorder the CE, but was told it already sold out. Luckily I was able to order it on their website. Had to put those gift cards to use somehow.

United States
    Can't disagree with anything you said..and I agree, I hate giving EA money, and that was the instant the ME series started hitting speedbumps..while EA has released some fun games, their business acumen and how they conduct said business is why I choose not to buy their products new, if at all.

Activision's just as bad nowadays.

I..this is going to be lame..I guess that after seeing my character through 2 games and all the bollocks DLC I've paid for, I want to see the ending. I've played through the first so many times I literally can't count them. There is nothing superior in the sequel. ME1 had the perfect balance of third person and RPG qualities. I've never had much love for turn based combat. I was one of the trolls who would rather watch a friend play FFVII than try to play it myself. Was just never my thing.

But I loved the character customization, the different armors and weapons manufacturers..it really made it feel like humanity was nothing more than a recent addition to a galactic civilization, and maybe an unwelcome one at times..but it also allowed us to either show the utter ruthlessness that humanity is capable of to achieve our goals or the lengths we'll go through to help those who may not like us because it's the right thing to do. Or, you could do a little of both.

Was it carried through perfectly? Naw..but it was still fun, and the fact that the first character I ever made almost 5 years ago can be imported into a brand new game to either save the galaxy or die trying is in itself remarkable. This isn't Mario. It's not Zelda, or Resident Evil. Even though it's limited by programming, each of my characters have had a different experience based on my mood. Tell the preaching Hanarr to shove off or help him out? Get the wife/brother in law to see eye to eye or choose to get that kid some gene therapy. Use my powers of sticking my nose in and rummaging to get a poor man his wife's body back or to keep it, so maybe when the big fight comes we'll be able to have a better chance. *sigh*

I dunno..I'm holding out hope I'll catch some of that magic. The endgame isn't important to me. I know in ME2, after I'd slagged away, doing each loyalty mission because I actually enjoyed some of the characters and didn't want them to die, being confronted with the human reaper was a bit..weird. It should have been made clear that it wouldn't be just a giant human body floating around, but that this was what goes inside all the armor and weaponry..that you'd have never seen it like that..I think that could have saved it from being so bizarre. But..I guess I excused it because I knew that after the fact and on subsequent playthroughs..still..something that shoulda come up in the script.

I'll shut up now. I'm not trying to change your mind Danny, as because I've said, your points are more than valid. But, watching some of the playthroughs of people who got to access the demo already..some of that magic is still there I think. Nothing wrong with picking it up at a later time. I chose to preorder, even knowing there would be bullshit DLC and additional stuff that comes out way after I've beaten the game several times. I'm not supporting EA, I'm supporting Bioware, the company that made Star Wars GOOD again. They've given me more enjoyment out of a 5 year old game series than George Lucas has given me in the past almost 3 decades of my life.

And besides..I can't drive, work, bathe myself properly or even access the internet in a good way since I'm using a netbook with a cast....woe is me..but yeah..I'm really just holding out hope for this.

edit: i hope my whinging doesn't come across as a pity party. i just wanted to illustrate why this is really all i have to look forward to for at least several more months.

also: the option is definitely there for either all action and automatic responses or easy combat and more rpg. or youc an just play the old way, which is what i'm going to be doing. and also on the hardest mode available at the start. and..i'm thinking about getting gold again just for this game. i LIKE the combat in the ME series and being able to play WITH people, coordinating, setting up chain attacks, i'm actually down with that. it's not like COD or BF3 where your opponents do this all day every day and will headshot you across the map because they have FIOS and know everything about the map. i can honestly say i'm looking forward to the multiplayer aspect of this. i'm sitting here trying like hell to download the demo early and i keep screwing up and getting locked out..alls i won is the normandy avatar item, which i was getting anyway cause i preordered and don't care about anyway..dimmit..
    Last edited by childofgilead; 11-Feb-2012 at 05:53 PM. Reason: more bollocks
    If Kim Kardashian died tommorrow from a dick overdose I'd call her a dumb whore and move on, because that's what she was - Darth Los

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by childofgilead View Post
    I..this is going to be lame..I guess that after seeing my character through 2 games and all the bollocks DLC I've paid for, I want to see the ending. I've played through the first so many times I literally can't count them. There is nothing superior in the sequel. ME1 had the perfect balance of third person and RPG qualities. I've never had much love for turn based combat. I was one of the trolls who would rather watch a friend play FFVII than try to play it myself. Was just never my thing.
    oh i totally get this. my sheppard i made with mates as a joke, ginger crew cut, blonde paul sr. moustache, but now hes my guy and wouldnt change him. I just cant warrant a day 1 purchase for this and am really not excited for what they may do to him after dragon age 2's ending where no matter what choices you made they said 'nah we will ignore what you wanted your version of the character to choose, heres the singular ending WE want'.
    more power to you for wanting the ending, i mean characters like tali and garrus i got really attached to. but the creative process of the company has gone constantly downhill and so i dont really want to see how they will fuck up the characters no matter what i choose.

i mean i've already seen talis face and who boy...

United States
    Agreed, again..Garrus and Tali were always my go to squad in ME2..just because of the history..and..I did like Jack..not because she wore so little..I just liked her arc..does that mean that my Shepard has a magical healing penis? Naw, only romanced her once..is it a perfect representation of someone with deep seated mental issues overcoming them? Again, naw. I just liked showing somebody I cared in a video game with aliens and pew pew lasers in it.

I think I may have seen a leak from the artbook with Tali's face. I always figured they'd either go WAY gross with it or make her TOO pretty..and I've always LOVED that character..not in a "want to taste her sweat" way, but just the idea of being disconnected from everything, her entire race being ostracized from the rest of the galaxy. Besides, Adam Baldwin as Kal Ree'gar was just awesome to me. The Tali romance was yeah..geeky and really seemed like alot of fanservice, but it made me feel good that the possibility was there..*shrug*

However, I really dislike the fact that squadmates from 2 are relegated to side missions featuring them. Wrex had a great arc in 1, hell even Alenko was alright if you actually talked to him. I actually LIKED some of the new characters introduced in 2, why shouldn't I be able to have an all biotic hit squad with Jack and Liara?

Fmeh..like I said, I definitely have issues with some of the decisions they've made, but..the opening did alot to win me back over. Sure, its a little heavyhanded, but dammit, sometimes heavy handed can work!

-- -------- Post added at 05:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:07 PM ----------

Poop..I got early access..downloading now..

-- -------- Post added at 06:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:37 PM ----------

Quick demo reactions..controls are different, sound is AWESOME..um..cutscenes dramatic.

-- -------- Post added at 06:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:52 PM ----------

Playing through as the new default Femshep..

-- -------- Post added at 07:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:53 PM ----------

All in all, I'd say the demo was alright..too short, but aren't they always. The sound is AWESOME, you guys with better sound systems than mine (and the ability to really crank em, since i live in an apt complex i can't) should really give them a workout, some of the low end is just guttural.

Controls are..hm..faster, but slicker too..dunno if it's that I'm not able to really hold the controller well or not, but it feels..hyper? Could also be my newer controller, but it definitely plays different than Mass Effect 1 or 2.

It seriously sounds like Seth Green is voicing the female Krogan. I took screens, but unless you want me to I won't post them, as I figure anybody who really cares is either already playing it or would just watch a youtube version.

All in all, I came away from it feeling no different. The gameplay is still mostly alright, dunno if the ability to crouch or holster whenever will be a feature in the main game, but neither were showcased here. Gunplay is satisfying, what weapons there are feel balanced and the powers seem groovy.

If then can manage to pull off some of the more..esoteric..parts of the game through performance and music, it may very well be alright and a decent close to the series.

-- -------- Post added at 07:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:53 PM ----------

why the fart did it keep editing my previous post? wtf?
    Last edited by childofgilead; 11-Feb-2012 at 06:13 PM. Reason: linky

Undisclosed
    The demo is now available on XBL and probably PSN.

Ireland
    Probably get it, but later in the year.

To be honest, I don't really like the Mass Effect/Dragon Age engines. They're too linear. I think both games would do better with a Oblivion/Skyrim approach. In other words, open up the worlds a little better.

Don't like all the romancy bollox either. Nerdtastic.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    I just tried the ps3 demo single player and i was pleasantly surprised, the combat was less janky than the 2nd and they brought back more of the rpg element that was truncated in the transition from the first to second game. i may have to pick this up after all, gonna see what the reviews are like first though.

United States
    Multiplayer is freaking addictive as hell dudes..I'm super cereal.

-- -------- Post added 19-Feb-2012 at 10:38 PM ---------- Previous post was 18-Feb-2012 at 08:23 PM ----------

Anybody catch the CG trailer during tonight's Walking Dead? Doubt it'll be anywhere near that epic and dramatic for real real in the game, but I'm still looking forward for Amazon to deliver my Collectors Edition..I purchased it before I heard about the leaked stuff..I desperately hope they don't DA2 this one..gaddam EA..

United States
    Surprised they haven't made a Mass Effect 3 animated movie yet.

Beware the beast, man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death.
    - 23rd Sacred Scroll, 6th verse

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    I just tried the ps3 demo single player and i was pleasantly surprised, the combat was less janky than the 2nd and they brought back more of the rpg element that was truncated in the transition from the first to second game. i may have to pick this up after all, gonna see what the reviews are like first though.
    I'd stay far away from the PS3 version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFBTuleh7R8

The game is already being manufactured, so I'm not sure if they were able to fix the framerate problem or not.

United States
    No offense to PS3 guys, but this series would probably have stayed pc/xbox exclusive had Bioware not been picked up by EA..

Administrator

England
    Well, the reviews seem very very very +ve!

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...ffect-3-review
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Undisclosed
    So, anyone playing the full game?