Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I thank Romero

Undisclosed

I thank Romero

for the zombie culture and the influence he has had on horror. I thank George for giving me the chance to excell in my art. I thank the living dead for being dead and living.
    I also thank George Romero for leaving our beloved pets out of the loop
    Zombie CATS and DOGS I would rather eat my own brains (lol)
    cheers George
    Jules

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    I thank George for being such an amazing influence on my career...for giving me a sense of courage, realising that nothing is unachievable. I thank George for his amazing editing and all the tension he can bring to a movie, for his brutal honesty and complete failure to fall in line with the rest of hollywood - the man is a legendary inspiration to all film makers and movie fanatics.

I also thank Tom Savini for making so many of George's movies simply astonishing for their time. For being a great actor and incredibly talented person who's personality and flare for the unusual shines out in a world so full of rubbish and generic excuses for "art".

I also thank John Russo for proving to the world that no one can do it as well as Romero.

England
    Quote Originally Posted by marginbuu View Post
    I thank the living dead for being dead and living.
    Beautiful.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Northern Ireland
    My God, this is vomit-inducing.

How did Romero give you a sense of courage? How did he make you excell in your art? My God, you're talking about him as if he were the Second Coming.

"I thank George for his amazing editing and all the tension he can bring to a movie, for his brutal honesty and complete failure to fall in line with the rest of hollywood."
    Are you sure you've watched Land of the Dead before?

Yeah, I thank Romero for presenting to me a series of ideas, theories and a scenario that I enjoy being creative in. But I'm not about to put the man on a pedestal for being a great film maker, humanitarian and role model. Sure you could do worse, but you're blowing his achievements way out of proportions. In saying that, maybe he'll find a cure for AIDS...

Also "Tom Savini" and "great actor" should never... ever be in the same sentence together... ever. It's only common sense.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    It's "vomit inducing".... yet you took the time to reply to it? That makes sense.

Just because it's not your opinion doesn't mean that it's not other's.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post
    It's "vomit inducing".... yet you took the time to reply to it? That makes sense.

Just because it's not your opinion doesn't mean that it's not other's.
    You have to admit though, Paul is right about Savini and his acting.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by twistbud View Post
    The only Savini acting I've seen is Dawn, From Dusk Till Dawn, and Planet Terror and he seemed fine in those....

Undisclosed
    Tom Savini's acting is very good in Knightriders--opposite Ed Harris, no less. You'd have to question anyone's objectivity who can't admit that much.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post
    The only Savini acting I've seen is Dawn, From Dusk Till Dawn, and Planet Terror and he seemed fine in those....
    Quote Originally Posted by DubiousComforts View Post
    Tom Savini's acting is very good in Knightriders--opposite Ed Harris, no less. You'd have to question anyone's objectivity who can't admit that much.

EDIT: Paul is right about Savini and his acting IMHO. You don't have to agree though.
    Last edited by twistbud; 18-Jan-2008 at 07:09 PM.

United States
    I thank Romero far making me just a little more open-minded of the world we live in.

Also it weren't for his dead series I wouldn't have never gotten into the horror genre.

Northern Ireland
    I just don't get this hero worship of him, that's all.

I mean how did Romero give marginbuu his chance to excel? Well, unless Romero is his boss... Marginbuu is why Marginbuu excelled in anything.

How did Romero give SymphonicX "a sense of courage" (for what?)and how is he responsible for the "realisation that nothing is impossible" (****, if Romero gave him that realisation then people who really go above and beyond must blow his mind).

Bassman, there are many actors who play their bit-part roles decently... that does not make them "great" actors.

And Doc, how did Romero make you more open minded about the world. Did you in live in a cave prior to watching his films?

I hate to sound so argumentive, but you are all a bunch of silly fan boys putting an average film maker/writer (with a great idea, no less) on a Jesus-esque pedestal.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by paulannett View Post
    I just don't get this hero worship of him, that's all.

I mean how did Romero give marginbuu his chance to excel? Well, unless Romero is his boss... Marginbuu is why Marginbuu excelled in anything.

How did Romero give SymphonicX "a sense of courage" (for what?)and how is he responsible for the "realisation that nothing is impossible" (****, if Romero gave him that realisation then people who really go above and beyond must blow his mind).

Bassman, there are many actors who play their bit-part roles decently... that does not make them "great" actors.

And Doc, how did Romero make you more open minded about the world. Did you in live in a cave prior to watching his films?

I hate to sound so argumentive, but you are all a bunch of silly fan boys putting an average film maker/writer (with a great idea, no less) on a Jesus-esque pedestal.
    Maybe they are trying to make it in the film business and being that Romero has stayed independent and stuck to his guns after all these years he's given them inspiration? That one ever cross your mind? Like I said....just because he's not an inspiration to you doesn't mean that he can't be to others. Come off it.

And I never said Savini was a "great" actor. I said that what I've seen of his acting didn't seem all that bad. Try not putting words into other's mouths.

Undisclosed
    EDIT: Paul is right about Savini and his acting IMHO. You don't have to agree though.
    Of course we don't have to agree. I'm pointing out that such an extreme viewpoint is in no way objective given actual examples of Savini's work.

You and I have been able to disagree without calling each other "silly fan boys" in the process. There have been too many ridiculous claims of "hero worship" on this message board in the last week, and one person was given a time out for instigating most of it. Enough already.

Northern Ireland
    Bassman, I was refuting SymphonicX's post. Savini may be a fine (read as "okay") bit-part actor, but he is not a great actor, the original point. Your point has little merit.

Also he can be an inspiration, but to hold him responsible for the things that these people claim is, in a word, pathetic. And yes, Bassman, I did think that maybe they are in a film-related career... But Jesus, to hold Romero directly responsible for every success, every epiphany... That's just silly talk.

"I'd like to thank Romero for giving me this healthy, beautiful, bouncing baby boy!" Like you guys I take a woody everytime I think of him, my girlfriend was near by so... Romero sure as Hell inspired me.

There are better role-models in the business too. Night was great. Dawn was great, yet flawed. Day was a stack of crap. Land was plain God-awful. Night of the Living Dead'90 is the best in the series.*

Also, Romero staying "indie"? Come off it. That's just more silly talk.

* I would like to point out that these are my opinions, they are not etched in stone... Just incase some posters get all whiny about it. :P

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by paulannett View Post

I might as well had man, must as well had..........What I really want to know is what do people keep talking about when Dawn of the Dead changed their lives, what's up with that?