Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fallout 3 DLC

Undisclosed

Fallout 3 DLC

I assume that there are a decent number of Fallout 3 players here...I wanted to talk about the "Operation Anchorage" pack. What you thought of it and what you'd like in the next one, etc...

I was personally kind of disappointed with it. There was one linear path you had to follow and no moral choices to make. It was basically just a standard FPS mission using the Fallout 3 engine.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    im so very tired of moral choices being the in thing in videogames, i want you to tell me a story in a game, not pick the good or evil ending depending on how many apples i steal.

United States
    I liked the goodies you got after completion oh and make sure to get that perk by gettign all the suitcases

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    im so very tired of moral choices being the in thing in videogames, i want you to tell me a story in a game, not pick the good or evil ending depending on how many apples i steal.
    I, personally, welcome the moral choices with open arms. If I want to play boring, linear games with flat characters, there's a sea of FPSs, JRPGs or Hack 'n' Slash games out there. But the real good ones, that allow you to explore and make up your own mind (thus creating your own story!) are few and far between.

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    It was pretty good, all in all.

The main new weapon (the Gauss Rifle) totally changes the way the game is balanced tactically - having a long range energy weapon with a percentage chance per hit of knocking enemies flat unconscious, including previously almost unstoppable Deathclaws, Mao Guai's and Super Mutant Behemoths - it doesn't make it too easy, it just sort of mixes it up a little and adds a new layer of strategy. The Chinese Stealth Armour has a similar effect on gameplay. To be honest, I really like it, because after playing the game for 60+ hours (probably double that if you include dying, backtracking and reloading) the sudden change in gameplay was refreshing.

My only gripe about the first DLC was that the Anchorage simulation gameplay seemed a little linear and action-based, which I usually like but it didn't really suit the engine and the more "symbolic" non-literal design of the Fallout 3 role-playing world. Some of the bigger battles with lots of NPCs seemed slightly stilted as a result (a bit like being at ground level in an RTS game), and the new in-sim map wasn't big enough (it seemed like the Chinese base was situated a handy two minute walk from the American HQ).

That said though, the snow-encrusted, pine-fresh Arctic was a startling and welcome vacation from the main game's beautifully rendered but monotonous grey/brown wasteland, and some of the combat set-pieces - especially when the player is ambushed by the Predator-like Crimson Dragoon assassins or has to face down a Chimera tank solo because it's blown your whole team to shreds - create a level of tension that's rarely achieved in the main quest.

United States
    Some shots from "The Pitt":

It's a shame the next 2 DLCs got delayed a month, hopefully there's a bigger focus on exploration in them.

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    WHOOOO-HO-HO-HO-HOA!!!

That looks incredible!! VERY Escape from New York! Look at those skyscrapers... and that bridge (looks similar to the mined bridge from the end of EfNY)... I notice that the visual design of Pittsburgh is much more "vertical" with its tall buildings and claustrophobic streets, whereas DC was very "horizontal" and wide open. This should be a nice change! Lets hope we do get to opportunity to explore a little of the mutant-infested streets/sewers/buildings.

[EDIT: is that a guy wearing gimp gear sitting by a flaming barrel in the back lower left of the last pic!?!?]
    Last edited by krakenslayer; 20-Feb-2009 at 09:21 AM.

Undisclosed
    Here's some more info. Another add-on next month.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/blogs/s...-march-24.html

United States
    march 24th it will be out

Undisclosed
    I downloaded and beat it yesterday. I like the new equipment. The stealth suit has already come in handy for ambushing. Looking forward to the next 2 DLC.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    i prefer the enclave tesla armor myself, +10 to badassery.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    i prefer the enclave tesla armor myself, +10 to badassery.
    I like the looks of their suit, too. Already had a run-in with them on multiple occations. I have double-crossed and pissed off every known evil faction, so I have a very large price on my head. Sometimes multiple groups will show up at the same time, then will fight it out with each other.

Here was one heated fight outside the Capital building. Super Mutants vs Enclave vs Talon Mercs vs Hitmen vs Me. Oh yeah, the Enclave also had a mind controlled Deathclaw.

United States
    the bad ass armor was pretty neat. My girl (Sarah Conner) liked it.

It was a good little side thing, fun and different. Blowing off Chinese limbs with a sniper rifle was bad ass.

Largest battle I had was at the washington memorial.

Super Muntants, Talon, Hitmen, Ghouls(somehow), Steel Brotherhood, freed slaves and myself.

It was world war 5 out there.
    "if wishs were fishes we'd all cast nets" - Gurney Hallack

United States
    anyone tried the pitt yet? a friend of mine has my copy, so i've not even finished operation anchorage yet...which is on my to do list.

Undisclosed
    Not yet. I am waiting on the 3rd dlc to come out. The one that allows you to max out at level 30.