Thread: Just read Encounter 1, 2 and 3 again...

Administrator

England

Just read Encounter 1, 2 and 3 again...

God! Seems like an eternity ago I put those down just to get the fiction section rolling. I still kinda like them, and the premis of catching those very first moments it starts...

Encounter 1

Encounter 2

Encounter 3
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Personally I have always thought that they were cool, but have you ever put any thought into expanding them into longer stories?
    Where are you going to be and what are you going to do when the inevitable Zombie Apocalypse comes to be?

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by ZombiePrototype View Post
    Personally I have always thought that they were cool, but have you ever put any thought into expanding them into longer stories?
    Not really... They just set the seen of those first few minutes...

'Options' (in the fiction section) sort of explores this 'moment' as well... I could imagine that (& a couple of others like it) forming the beginning of a book.
    Last edited by Neil; 14-Feb-2008 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

England
    These were obviously the first stories I read when I discovered this site many years ago...sitting there with the HPotD theme music going and plowing through all those new and wonderful zombie tales...happy days!

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Not really... They just set the seen of those first few minutes...

'Options' (in the fiction section) sort of explores this 'moment' as well... I could imagine that (& a couple of others like it) forming the beginning of a book.

There are several other very short stories on this site that would make great interludes in any book (maybe start every chapter with one), just a quick cut to another person survivng as best they can, then back to the main story...one of my all time faves is "foraging" by Eddie Poe.
    Last edited by Legion2213; 18-Feb-2008 at 02:01 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon