Thread: Rate of Pay for a Special FX artist

Undisclosed

Rate of Pay for a Special FX artist

Got a question for anyone who knows. What is the average pay rate per day for an FX artist? Not a big name either. I'm saying a no name guy just starting up.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    huh. i know the standard rate for contracted editing of footage is something around £200 a day 9 till 5, then and extra day if you work over 5, but if that can be used as a reference for fx im not sure, i think it would be something like that for VFX, but for proper old school prosthetics and make up and explosions and the like ive no idea.

Super Moderator

UK
    Give it a googling. I know in the UK there's the likes of BECTU who set out proper rates to expect under different options.

I often see a lot of 200 or 300 quid a day for starting out on various fields, but then of course that's not really adhered to at an indie level where it's sometimes paid, or it's often "lo/no", which is ever-so Catch 22.

Starting out you need the f*ckin' cash, but the jobs you'd stand a chance of getting are usually all "lo/no", which is a right pain in the bum flaps.

So I duno if there are any listed union rates for the USA, but see if there are, then see what they say - if anything. Or choose the closest option, then tweak it to suit the indie level of doing things...if anything, such lists provide a ball park idea of what you'd expect in an official capacity, then it's up to you to figure it out from there really.

Undisclosed
    I asked an actual FX artist. The rates were astounding. Per day, and average FX artist in the states makes $675-875. Now that does not include supplies or the cost for their mobile fx trailer. Way I figure it, an artist can make up to $1000 a day!!!
    Not bad money at all. They say an fx artist can make about 80k a year!!

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    ...it should be more than that per anum, because video editing contracts alone are roughly £800 to £1000 per job and theres enough work of that nature around to make £200,000 a year, thats like $400,000. and whilst fx might be in a smaller demand, youd think the work would be in a much greater scale and capacity to make more dough in it.

Super Moderator

UK
    Way easier said than done to rake in £200,000 p.a. though. Way easier said than done.

For one your location, for two the competition out there. There's the variety of jobs out there, some pay nothing, some pay a good amount, some pay loads - the latter is incredibly tough to get and usually goes to those who've paid their dues already and been waiting around for years for the opportunity.

With so many low budget jobbies on the go, many that pay nothing at all, or 'when we make money', geez, it's a struggle.

Eventually, yeah may-very-well-be £200k...but it takes a long slog to get there, it's a steep, hard-ass, tough-ass hill.

Stubbornness to continue the pursuit is one of the greatest requirements in 'the bizz' I'd say.

Not pissing on parades here, just saying. Way easier said than done, it's also about keeping the revenue stream coming in on a steady basis.

*sigh*

Aye, I'm "on the ladder" alright.

Undisclosed

Keeping the demand down

You'd think these jobs are readily available but cost is always a factor. The cost of making a film goes up and the demand for workers goes down because it's so hard to pony up the cash to afford these workers. As education in these jobs arent readily available in most areas the demand has been going up. Before film makers worked on track records. Now you need a degree and a track record. For th fx artists things look good, but for the actual film maker odds are bad.
    Average yearly income for starting directors is between 35k-45k. Not much compared to what an fx artist can bring in.
    Here in the states i've found, Digital Film making is not reaching it's demand of workers and states are providing more schools to meet the demand. Two schools I looked into are currently in their first semester of the programs. These programs are limited to Digital Film making of course.
    I think film is finaly taken that final turn to digital. For years the old school guys fought to keep it 35mm. I've even heard from some DPs that Digital being the way of the future is a joke. Guess the joke's on them!