Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zombie Apocalypse: Ving Rhames Rides Again (SyFy Premiere Oct. 29th)

Super Moderator

United States

Zombie Apocalypse: Ving Rhames Rides Again (SyFy Premiere Oct. 29th)

In this Syfy Original Movie, a zombie plague has wiped out 90 percent of the American population, but a small band of survivors fights its way cross-country to a rumored refuge on the island of Catalina.
    This dude's really gone all-in on the zombie films.

IMDB info.

Obligatory Oh, Dear...for Neil.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Twitching

United States
    Sweet,
    I'm always up for another schlocky zombie flick, and Ving brings a nice amount of blast-the-hell-outta-them to any zombie movie he's in. After all, don't see him cast as a glasses or tie-wearing researcher desperately trying to find a Cure before the "infection" wipes humanity out, agreed?

I'll give this a watch.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyldwraith View Post
    Sweet,
    I'm always up for another schlocky zombie flick, and Ving brings a nice amount of blast-the-hell-outta-them to any zombie movie he's in. After all, don't see him cast as a glasses or tie-wearing researcher desperately trying to find a Cure before the "infection" wipes humanity out, agreed?
    I would actually love to see Ving cast as Michael Clarke Duncan's scrawny sidekick in a zombie smash up.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    I would actually love to see Ving cast as Michael Clarke Duncan's scrawny sidekick in a zombie smash up.
    Hell, I'd just like to see Ving get to an island without running out of gas or being jumped by a crap load of zombies!
    Last edited by Ragnarr; 18-Oct-2011 at 06:04 PM. Reason: ed
    "When there's no more room in Taco Bell, the unfed will walk the Earth!"

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Wow, it'd be like a 'roided black version of Dr. Evil and Mini Me.
    Ving and that guy who played the butcher in Land, he's in a few. Some peoples just love their flesh eating ghouls...

United States
    "Zombie Apocalypse" starring Ving Rhames, tomorrow night (Saturday,10/29) @ 9pm EST-USA on SyFy Channel. Not sure when our Canadian and Brit brothers will get to see it, but hopefully it'll be soon.
    Last edited by Ragnarr; 29-Oct-2011 at 05:49 AM. Reason: ed

Administrator

England
    Let's have a review then when you've seen it...

But I predict lots of well dressed unlikely survivors, using daft weaponry to dispatch the dead, with mediocre, if not entirely questionable, goals for survival
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Let's have a review then when you've seen it...

But I predict lots of well dressed unlikely survivors, using daft weaponry to dispatch the dead, with mediocre, if not entirely questionable, goals for survival
    lol well I'll post after the movie, but I'll do so in as much of a non-spoiling way as possible. But remember that no one, not even hordes of undead, can stop the well dressed, highly unlikely to survive, daft weaponry using Ving Rhames. His decisions in Dawn04 certainly blew beans.

Perhaps they'll release it under a different name like, "Dawn of the Daft."
    Last edited by Ragnarr; 29-Oct-2011 at 03:17 PM. Reason: ed

Super Moderator

United States
    I'll try and remember to DVR it.

United States
    Watching the end of the movie now... thank gawd. Never thought I'd make it.

Okay, without spoilers:

-"Syfy Originals" seem to use the same pool of grade-B actors for all of their flicks. These actors (excluding Ving & the other black guy with the hairdo) MUST be perfect homo sapiens. Each woman MUST be model perfect and each man MUST be GQ perfect. Most "real people" are not like this you see. Rumor has it average people might be over or under weight, have large noses or ears, or even wear glasses.

-Japanese katanas are not jedi lightsabers from Star Wars. Merely touching your katana to a zed would not sever or dismember any body part, especially when wielded by a beautiful model with noodle thin arms. Only an expert swordsman trained for many years with a REAL katana (made long ago and passed down for generations) would be able to sever heads and limbs with each stroke. The more likely outcome of the beautiful chick swinging a katana would be her wounding the zeds, her friends AND herself.

-"Meow, Bitch!" Yes, Ving actually says this at a certain point in the film. The screenplay writer should be attacked with a katana IMO for writing that line!

-If you have a compound bow or crossbow, you NEVER miss hitting zombies in the head, no matter how far away they are or how desperate the situation (so saith SyFy writers)

-Zombies actually "plan" their attacks you see. They hide completely out of sight, then BOOGA BOOGA! You're swarmed from every possible direction (so saith the SyFy writers).

Great seeing Ving in action again. Only sorry it had to be on SyFy and subject to their crappy screenplay and casting.
    Last edited by Ragnarr; 30-Oct-2011 at 05:14 AM. Reason: ed

Undisclosed
    Asylum is famous for making straight to video rip-off of new hollywood releases. Stuff like The Transmorphers, Titanic 2, Almighty Thor, Paranormal Entity, etc...

At least all of the zombys didn't run. They even called the slow ones "shamblers". There even was a reference to a guy named "Kirkman" that got eaten. So whoever wrote the script was familiar with current zombie stuff.

I liked how they had been on the road for weeks, but their clothes and gear were spotless. The chick with the sword and the guy with the bat should have been covered in splattered blood and gore. The guys even had fashionable 5 o'clock shadows.

Ok the movie just ended. It wasn't that bad after all. The zombie tigers reminded me of the zoo in Brian Keene's The Rising.
    Last edited by Sammich; 30-Oct-2011 at 07:34 AM. Reason: k

Undisclosed
    "i don't want a new brush, i want my things!" - hot ninja

Last edited by living dude; 30-Oct-2011 at 06:39 AM. Reason: adding photo of the next halle berry

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    not the worst thing i've ever seen.

the people using bows were members of an archery team (i guess the poster above missed that one).

i think the the approach that they were taking is one that could work. you keep moving, you stay quiet by not using firearms unless it is absolutely necessary, and you avoid the areas most likely to be filled with zombies.

i think the siege mentality would get most folks killed, unless you live out in the country where the population is thin. i live in a county that has over 825,000 people in it. if most of them turn into zombies there would be damn few places defensible by small numbers against what could be potentially thousands (or even hundreds of thousands just in one county) of the undead.

my plan stays the same: my kayak and the ohio river, which is less that 2 miles from my house and is a straight shot down one road to get to. there are small rivers and large creeks that feed into the ohio, i've explored most of them and a couple of them lead literally into the middle of nowhere. northern ky east of the cincinnati metro area doesn't have enough people in it to fill up a decent sized football stadium. the southern part of ohio is the same way.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Being Attacked

Undisclosed
    It had some really cool parts sprinkled in among a whole lotta bad.

It started off really strong with the small clips of civilization falling apart, then devolved into a typical syfy original: Lots of shots of the group walking, pointing, walking some more, a bunch of really bad acting during the quiet moments, more shots of the cast walking, really bad action choreography and laughable CGI.

I just don't get why so much of the splattergore was edited out? I mean, look at what the walking dead gets away with every single week. Maybe its a marketing scheme to get people to buy the DVD just to see the gore.

Still, I liked it better than Survival of the Dead.

Super Moderator

United States
    I didn't end up getting to see it, but it sounds...okayish.

Quote Originally Posted by Sammich View Post
    Asylum is famous for making straight to video rip-off of new hollywood releases.
    Awww! I didn't even notice it was an Asylum film! I usually make a note of their films and have even tried watching a few...something about their chutzpah I find intriguing and painful at the same time. I have yet to finish one of their films.