Thread: Russell Crowe to play Bill Hicks?

capncnut

Russell Crowe to play Bill Hicks?

According to Empire Online, Russell Crowe is mulling over the top spot in a planned Bill Hicks biopic.

Quote Originally Posted by Empire Online
    Ridley Scott's Nottingham has been pushed back indefinitely but at least until Spring, what with any self-respecting Robin Hood requiring that leaves be on the trees before he can commence robbing from the rich and giving to the poor. But star Russell Crowe isn't going to let the grass grow under his feet until spring, oh no. Instead, he's trying to get underway with a new biopic of achingly cool comedy legend Bill Hicks.

For those of you not in the know, Hicks was one of the smartest, most acerbic comedians of the 80s and early 90s, who struggled with drink and drugs before getting his career back on track - only to fall victim to cancer at just 32 years old. Despite his tragically young death, he lived long enough and worked hard enough to influence pretty much every comedian since, and has been paid tribute in everything from The Simpsons to the comic series Preacher.

New Zealand writer Mark Staufer has already written a treatment for a possible film, and is now turning that into a draft script, in the hope that it will hit production before the leaves unfold again in Sherwood Forest. And while he has not hitherto been known for comedy Crowe is not a bad likeness for Hicks - check out the AEnima album inlay that shows Hicks depicted here and tell us that doesn't look at least a bit like our favourite phone-chucker - and could do very well at this sort of intense stand up. Even better, enjoy some vintage Hicks standup right here, and see why it is that his biopic is a good idea.
    Click for article.

I don't quite share that reporters enthusiasm personally.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    I love Bill Hicks, so would love to see this. Although I dislike Crowe, would prefer someone else to play him....

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    thats some bad casting, but i reckon hicks himself would laugh about it.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicX View Post
    I love Bill Hicks, so would love to see this. Although I dislike Crowe, would prefer someone else to play him....
    Yeah,I dislike Russell Crowe too.If they do make this movie,they need to get someone else to play Bill Hicks.

England
    A Bill Hicks biopic. It's about time. The man deserves some form of mainstream recognition.
    I don't get the hate for Russell Crowe. He is a superb actor. This tag of Hollywood bad boy is just tabloid generated nonsense
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Canada
    Would be great to see a movie about Bill Hicks,
    he deserves it.

hmmmm maybe I should try for the role

At least a Hicks could play a Hicks

J/K

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyHicks View Post
    maybe I should try for the role
    But can you do Randy Pan the Goatboy?

Super Moderator

United States
    Hmmm, what mixed feelings I have.

I think Bill Hicks was awesome. Simply one of the most thought provoking entertainers of the last half of the 20th century...and that's saying a lot (especially for a comedian). and I respect Crowe's acting ability. However, despite what some people might think, I believe Crowe *is* a jackass...even if one tenth of what is said about him is true, he's a dick. Also, it's odd casting, but I'm not convinced Crowe couldn't pull it off...

It'd certainly be huge for Crowe if he could pull it and the film was well written and directed. It'd garner a lot of critical acclaim, if done well.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Bill Hicks...? No clue who he is.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    COLOSSAL, TOTAL UNIVERSE MELTDOWN FAIL!!!!!!11!!!1ONEONE11!!!!

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    This is the first I've heard of him too. But I looked up some of his stuff. Pretty good. I've seen better, though....

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

He was an 80's comedian. They were a raunchy bunch i'll tell you that much. How p.c. things have gotten.
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"