Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a moment on the original...

Just been bitten Shadowofthedead's Avatar

Aaland

a moment on the original...

day of the dead script... romero was a nut job with that script. i found myself usin a flash light to walk out and get a beer outta my car and im not scared of the dark... if there is anybody that hasnt read the original script i do believe its in the bits and pieces section of hpotd. man is a genious. i mean obviously im here for the same reason you all are but man he shouldve waited for a bigger budget to make this movie or built up and made it independently and released it straight to video. i love sheer terror...

United States
    I hated the origional script... I found the idea of being on the isle and having to siphon gas from the other boats would've made a better setting than the underground bunker but I thought it went a little too far with the whole Spider thing and trained zombies and seeing that some member of the government was whisked away and living like the sultan of brunei... I was really disappointed with it... even more sad that you see some of that script in Land of the Dead... damn shame
    You smell that? That's the smell of spring, and I love it. You know what I love to do in spring? I love to come out into the woods, to walk amongst the budding trees, to smell and taste the hint of renewal that hovers in the air like a heady perfume, and to listen to the song of the birds who have returned from their long sojourn south. And bury the people I killed during the winter...

http://media.movies.ign.com/media/84...d_1882969.html

Just been bitten Shadowofthedead's Avatar

Aaland

well now

this script was written before land of the dead but has no signifcant meaning in the romero universe due to it never being shot. if this script was shot then there wouldve been no land of the dead.... if you notice towards the end of it miguel not risin and neither did tricks... the end of the plague after four years due to the script... it wouldve been a nice touch and i doubt youd say the same as stated if it was shot and you saw it on film but this is one piece of artwork that will never be seen. the only thing i thought was over the top was bub and his quick draw cowboy style six shooters. made him seem a little to human. but i will say this the crazy doc logan and the fact that it had a decent endin wouldve made for a great close.... whaty was the real reason romero never shot this script? to lengthy? to gory?

United States
    I think filming the origional script would've been too costly and outlandish. But I can't agree that there never would've been a land of the dead (or some other film in the series) past this one... seeing as none of the movies follow the same characters and they dont all take place in the same city it only makes sense that if he filmed this his next film could've been one taking place elsewhere and how people were reacting to whats happening there.

And as far as bub goes... in the actual Day of the Dead when he salutes Joe Pilato is more than a little human not to mention how Bub never actually eats him is more characteristic of human behavior than zombie.
    You smell that? That's the smell of spring, and I love it. You know what I love to do in spring? I love to come out into the woods, to walk amongst the budding trees, to smell and taste the hint of renewal that hovers in the air like a heady perfume, and to listen to the song of the birds who have returned from their long sojourn south. And bury the people I killed during the winter...

United States
    Money! Money! Money!
    He couldn't get the money to shoot it properly so he scaled everything back at came up with the Day movie that we all know today.

If you go to the Films section of this site, here is what it says:

Day of the Dead, the third of the Dead Trilogy, was intended to be an epic and was going to be the "gone with the wind" of zombie movies.

However, the film company drastically reduced the amount of money they were willing to invest in the film. This was because George Romero was just not willing to compromise the films special effects by cutting back on the gore and violence so it would receive the lower rating which the film company wanted it to.

He therefore cut back on the script and made a smaller and more economical film.
    Last edited by tkane18; 14-Jun-2007 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MissJacksonCA View Post
    even more sad that you see some of that script in Land of the Dead... damn shame
    Which is why land blows the way it does. If anybody wonders why the original script was never made, that exhibit A,B and C.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowofthedead View Post
    whaty was the real reason romero never shot this script? to lengthy? to gory?
    I think he was very anxious to make the next installment of his trilogy but sold out. He very much could have made the movie he wanted, but the epic vision he had would have been too expensive and gory. The studio didn't want to give alot of money to make an unrated film witch is what the original would have been. They gave him an ultimatum. He could have made the movie he wanted with 3 1/2 million or tone it down and do it the studios way and get 7 million. We know which one he chose.
    Last edited by darth los; 14-Jun-2007 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Undisclosed
    I love em both

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Day took a while to grow on me but i've come to appreciate its genius.

Undisclosed
    I really love the original script. Too bad Romero couldn't get the money he needed to make it into a movie.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    im off two minds on one hand id love to see the origional idea made as a film but on t'uther i really have grown to enjoy day on its own, bub cocking the gun, frankensteins rants about 'reward',the jamaican guys philosiphiin' its all way above your run of the mill horror, and i wouldnt wanna change it if i was romero.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Day, like the others in the trilogy are really profound movies. Alot is being said those goes right over people's heads. I'm still discovering cool little nuggets when i watch them. I don't think you can absorb everything they have to offer unless you do watch them over and over. Today's films are sorely lacking that quality.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    I think he was very anxious to make the next installment of his trilogy but sold out.
    Actually, he was under contract to deliver "Day" & within a certain timeframe. He had to sit down & knock out the complete re-write w/in a very limited timeperiod (couple weeks IIRC?). If anyone has a chance, go read "The Zombies That Ate Pittsburgh" for a very detailed breakdown of what happened w/ "Day"

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Your definitely right on that one.

Undisclosed

Angry yo!

I just felt that the soliders could have been more realistic,they looked like they just stepped out of a bar!

Rickles had a mean beer gut!
    Torres looked like a stoner
    Miguel was 2 much of a puussy
    and steele looked like he turned wrenches

Rhodes was maybe the only convincing one!

dont get me started on the scientist "dumbshiits"

United States
    to me rhodes seemed like he was over-compensating...