Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Man sets self on fire ...

United States

Man sets self on fire ...

Chicago Nov 7 th ...A man set fire to himself protesting the war in Iraq . He set himself ablaze after dousing himself w/ gasoline (ironic?) in the middle of traffic . He set up a video camera also posted on his own website his suicide note .Reports stated that his suicide was a " traffic nusiance "...Iraq Burns , we shop , sick . I dont have a link for you to see the story ...Visit RandiRhodes.com for more info ...
    Last edited by DVW5150; 29-Nov-2006 at 04:10 PM.
    "Goodbye , I am gone."

United States
    Ok so a crazy anti-war protestor from Chicago decides to commit suicide because of the war in Iraq. Method was he burned himself in public.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...474900,00.html

What's your point?

The guy was a dumbass.

Beware the beast, man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death.
    - 23rd Sacred Scroll, 6th verse

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyebiter View Post
    Ok so a crazy anti-war protestor from Chicago decides to commit suicide because of the war in Iraq. Method was he burned himself in public.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...474900,00.html

What's your point? The guy was a dumbass.
    Lost cause here , if I have to explain it .The point is lost . Dumbasses tailgate , dumbasses butt inline at the grocery store , dumbasses retort with cold indifference to tradgedy ...This thread is a mistake . Making some enemies I am ...Sad to call him names ... So in your opinion he was doing the world a favor by commiting suicide ? One less Dumbass .
    Last edited by DVW5150; 29-Nov-2006 at 04:14 PM.
    "Goodbye , I am gone."

Martin, LA (the sticks). I'm writing a zombie script to be filmed in this area with cheap DVs!
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DVW5150 View Post
    Lost cause here , if I have to explain it .The point is lost . Dumbasses tailgate , dumbasses butt inline at the grocery store , dumbasses retort with cold indifference to tradgedy ...This thread is a mistake .Making some enemies I am ...
    the only tragedy here is that the guy didn't receive psychiatric care before it was too late. it takes a dumbass not to realize that.
    I Corinthians 1:18-31 18For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. 19For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent. 20Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe. 22For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom: 23But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness; 24But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God. 25Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men. 26For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called: 27But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; 28And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are: 29That no flesh should glory in his presence. 30But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption: 31That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.

United States
    Hoisting a jerrycan of petrol and burning yourself to a crispy critter just doesn't seem to be a very effective method of showing political dissent in today's society.

Wouldn't a more constructive method like writing letters, attending prayer meetings, giving a charitable donation, lobbying political officials, or demonstrating be a more effective way of getting your point across?

Beware the beast, man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death.
    - 23rd Sacred Scroll, 6th verse

Martin, LA (the sticks). I'm writing a zombie script to be filmed in this area with cheap DVs!
    United States
    Hoisting a jerrycan of petrol and burning yourself to a crispy critter just doesn't seem to be a very effective method of showing political dissent in today's society.

Wouldn't a more constructive method like writing letters, attending prayer meetings, giving a charitable donation, lobbying political officials, or demonstrating be a more effective way of getting your point across?
    seriously, if you're retarded enough to set yourself on fire, who's going to think you're rational enough to have a credible opinion
    I Corinthians 1:18-31 18For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. 19For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent. 20Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe. 22For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom: 23But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness; 24But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God. 25Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men. 26For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called: 27But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; 28And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are: 29That no flesh should glory in his presence. 30But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption: 31That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.

United States

Thats the point , but its lost ... not only is the act he committed tragic , but the indifference is hideous . Attend prayer meetings? Maybe he came to his drastic decsion though prayer . If you demonstrate in this country , or speak out , you will either be jailed or killed . So he just spead up the process . Its not effective , and thats what so friggin disturbing .
    "Goodbye , I am gone."

United States
    Praying? Thats very effective
    Not.
    Up, Up and Away! ARRRRRGHGGGH

"It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done. By the way, if you see your Mother, tell her I said...
    Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DVW5150 View Post
    Thats the point , but its lost ... not only is the act he committed tragic , but the indifference is hideous . Attend prayer meetings? Maybe he came to his drastic decsion though prayer . If you demonstrate in this country , or speak out , you will either be jailed or killed . So he just spead up the process . Its not effective , and thats what so friggin disturbing .
    no, it's not disturbing. if a bunch of people could band together and like heatherns and change the world, that would be disturbing. then whoever had the most numbers and/or passion would rule. things work fine the way the are. We've got the closest thing you could have to literal democracy w/out the country falling apart, save maybe India.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by radiokill View Post
    no, it's not disturbing. if a bunch of people could band together and like heatherns and change the world, that would be disturbing. then whoever had the most numbers and/or passion would rule. things work fine the way the are. We've got the closest thing you could have to literal democracy w/out the country falling apart, save maybe India.
    Whats disturbing is the riddicule , and the fact I must point it out . I am not talking about changing the world either . At the very least , I think I have spurned a thread that will be rife with hostility and little understanding . Peace , folks . sheesh .

Quote Originally Posted by coma View Post
    Praying? Thats very effective
    Not.
    Amen brother !
    Last edited by DVW5150; 29-Nov-2006 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "Goodbye , I am gone."

England
    Theres other ways of protesting,rather than killing yourself in one of the most painful ways ever!i wonder if he regretted his actions when his skin started bubbling up?yeah it got him noticed,but it wont stop the war & as proved here,most people would say he needed psychiatric help rather than that he had a valid point.
    Bit like that iranian asylum seeker who stitched his eyes & mouth up because he wanted to stay in Britain

United States
    I wouldn't pisson somebody that set himself on fire to protest something. He's ridiculed for doing something ridiculous. Like eyebiter mentioned, there are many alternatives. If you set yourself on fire, you are a quitter. I know you are disturbed about the "traffic nuisance" bit, but one of the biggest problems we have in this country is feeling sorry for people doing stupid things. I agree, if someone was watching that online and didn't phone the police or had time to prevent and didn't try, that's sad. But don't think that guy died doing something honorable. If he could've been saved, he should've been taken to the nuthouse. Ok, so maybe that first line was an exaggeration, but you get my point? The guy didn't deserve respect nor a rescue, but good folks should've helped him anyway.

Banned User

United States
    How sad. And people pretty much did not notice his statment. He was just seen as an annoyance to commuters. Very tragic.
    Last edited by HLS; 29-Nov-2006 at 05:23 PM.

England
    To anyone who didnt see his website he probably just looked like a psych patient having an "episode" anyway!I'd have been shocked if i'd seen it happen & i'd have felt very sorry for him,but his protest would have been the last thing on my mind.
    I have no sympathy for people who protest by causing scenes like this either

United States
    the tragic thing is that we have a world full of people denouncing God and scoffing at the power of prayer so that people like him aren't reached before it's too late ......and my apologies for being rash or bitter, there's no excuse for that.