Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Thing Prequel set visit...

Administrator

England

The Thing Prequel set visit...

...sounds promising...

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/46868
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    The pictures and reports are looking pretty good. I'm not going in expecting it to be as good as Carpenter's, but it should be entertaining in its own way.

Super Moderator

UK
    Couldn't be arsed to read all that, but the pics at least look the part - but that's rarely the problem with these remakes/prequels/cash-ins ... I'd love for my initial thoughts to be wrong about it, just like how it was with The Crazies remake (which I actually really enjoyed and positioned equal-to the original - each version doing things better and worse than each other) ... but, naturally, there's a real fear here that it could just end up sucking hard like so many other remakes and unnecessary franchise entries.

At the very least though - Mary Elizabeth Winstead.

United States
    I'm definitely interested in seeing this, if I understand correctly it's about the Norwegian team that finds the alien spacecraft and frees the creature from the ice block?

I have to ask though -- don't all these people die? What's the point of doing it when we know they are all going to die anyway?

I'm sure they'll think of some cop out though for a few folks (namely whatever attractive actress they can find to play the role of the female scientist) to escape. They'll end up having two helicopters or something and the one at the beginning of Carpenter's version was one team and the other chopper carries said female scientist and another mid-30's good looking love-interest scientist along with her to safety.

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by JDFP View Post
    I'm definitely interested in seeing this, if I understand correctly it's about the Norwegian team that finds the alien spacecraft and frees the creature from the ice block?

I have to ask though -- don't all these people die? What's the point of doing it when we know they are all going to die anyway?

I'm sure they'll think of some cop out though for a few folks (namely whatever attractive actress they can find to play the role of the female scientist) to escape. They'll end up having two helicopters or something and the one at the beginning of Carpenter's version was one team and the other chopper carries said female scientist and another mid-30's good looking love-interest scientist along with her to safety.

j.p.
    All the ones we see are dead... But the others?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Until cgi tech advances practical effects rule.

Awesome.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    Eh...we'll see...even if this one is ok-ish in it's own right, it still doesn't sit comfortably with me. I have such a deep, abiding LOVE for Carpenter's movie that I can't really distance myself from it.

True we don't KNOW if any of the Norwegian's survive, but we're SURE AS HELL GIVEN THE IMPRESSION THAT NONE DID.

Plus I don't agree with the female cast member. Yes, I know this isn't a remake, but that is one of the things that really worked in the original, & I think would have well served this one to capture the same vibe.

The phrase that just popped to my mind while typing the above was "The Clone Wars". Part of the problem (in retrospect) w/ the SW prequels is that so many fans had hung on Obi-Wan's every word of who Luke's father was, how they met, etc. (apparently Lucas didn't pay such close attention). That plus they had filled in the blanks themselves. When it didn't unfold the way we'd been TOLD it did, or imagined it, there's a certain level of disappointment.

Granted, we don't have that level of backstory here, but I can't help but feel the same recipe of disappointment has the potential to manifest here....

United States
    I don't know about this... Just seems like a bad idea.
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 06-Oct-2010 at 12:28 AM.

Administrator

England
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Like someone mentioned on that site.....why is it that people can't seem to control their cell phone cameras? Is it heavy? Honestly....there's no reason for you to go from filming the ceiling, to the floor, and back to the ceiling again.

Anyway....silly use of the same title aside, it actually looks kinda cool. It will be nice to see it in HD.
    Last edited by bassman; 11-Oct-2010 at 02:56 PM. Reason: penis

England
    Considering the impression we got from the Norwegian camp was that the exact same thing (no pun intended) happened as what came later to the U.S. camp, isnt this just going to be practically a remake? I dont see the point in doing this really. But if they've got to do it, then I hope they make it decent rather than soiling the name of yet another franchise

Super Moderator

United States
    I wonder if the shitty quality of the recorder is making the film appear more atmospheric than it would otherwise...

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    Considering the impression we got from the Norwegian camp was that the exact same thing (no pun intended) happened as what came later to the U.S. camp, isnt this just going to be practically a remake? I dont see the point in doing this really. But if they've got to do it, then I hope they make it decent rather than soiling the name of yet another franchise
    I wonder this myself - what's the point? We know the outcome of the Norwegian camp, and aye, it seemed like the same thing happened there pretty much. Indeed we saw the frozen aftermath of it.

It'll be interesting to see if they follow that portion of Carpenter's flick closely ... for example, the dude who slit his wrists and the blood streams had frozen from the cuts to the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Like someone mentioned on that site.....why is it that people can't seem to control their cell phone cameras? Is it heavy? Honestly....there's no reason for you to go from filming the ceiling, to the floor, and back to the ceiling again.

Anyway....silly use of the same title aside, it actually looks kinda cool. It will be nice to see it in HD.
    Calling it the exact same thing (heh) is retarded. I mean ... why?

And yes, for fuck sake, if you're going to covertly film something on your phone/handycam, for god's sake HOLD IS RELATIVELY STRAIGHT AND STEADY! Sheesh, otherwise why bother?

United States
    not going to bother viewing the trailer till a proper version hits the nets. while i'm a bit skeptical of this, i am rather intrigued. i think the discovery/resurrection of the thing itself could be a very interesting and tense bunch of scenes.

anyone know if this is set back in the same era as carpenter's version? i really hope they don't modernize it and add in today's technology (like cell phones in the beginning scenes before they set off on the expedition, etc) and make it out of sync with carpenter's film.

and damn, do i love the "original" (and by that i mean JC's version)....gonna have to break that one out soon, maybe on halloween evening prior to the original dawn while me and my pals are sitting around impatiently waiting for TWD.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Ever try holding a phone steady while getting your helmet polished in a darkened theater, no easy feat I tell ya...

Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    It'll be interesting to see if they follow that portion of Carpenter's flick closely ... for example, the dude who slit his wrists and the blood streams had frozen from the cuts to the floor.
    Been wondering that myself, if not it'll be one more slap in the face for fans, & one more big "FUCK YOU!" from me to them.

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    not going to bother viewing the trailer till a proper version hits the nets.
    Truth.

anyone know if this is set back in the same era as carpenter's version? i really hope they don't modernize it and add in today's technology (like cell phones in the beginning scenes before they set off on the expedition, etc) and make it out of sync with carpenter's film.
    If not see above re; slap/"FUCK YOU!"

and damn, do i love the "original" (and by that i mean JC's version)....gonna have to break that one out soon, maybe on halloween evening prior to the original dawn while me and my pals are sitting around impatiently waiting for TWD.
    I'm holding out for winter, hopefully w/ a good snowfall. The Thing, Ghost Story, The Shining, all make for great winter viewing.
    Last edited by MoonSylver; 11-Oct-2010 at 10:39 PM. Reason: nunya bidness!