Thread: '48 Weeks Later' and some other questions...

United Kingdom

Talking '48 Weeks Later' and some other questions...

Just was looking for Diary of the Dead on Amazon (obviously not out, not really up to date with this film at all). Anyway, along with Day of the Dead remake and Contagium pops up this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/48-Weeks-Lat...3931235&sr=8-2

48 Weeks Later... Obviously the name is a play on 28 Weeks to boost sales, anyone know of/seen this?

Another movie also came up, The Zombie Diaries:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zombie-Diari...3931235&sr=8-1

It seems this one have more favourable reviews... Can anyone here clarify whether this is indeed an OK or even a good zombie movie? After shunning zombies for so long in favour of my WII interest I feel I need to buy a movie or two, the last zombie movie I bought being LAND.

One final question; 28 Weeks Later, an insult to 28 Days? Or is it worth watching? My brother said it was really bad compared to the first one.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Just was looking for Diary of the Dead on Amazon (obviously not out, not really up to date with this film at all). Anyway, along with Day of the Dead remake and Contagium pops up this:

48 Weeks Later... Obviously the name is a play on 28 Weeks to boost sales, anyone know of/seen this?

Another movie also came up, The Zombie Diaries:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zombie-Diari...3931235&sr=8-1

It seems this one have more favourable reviews... Can anyone here clarify whether this is indeed an OK or even a good zombie movie? After shunning zombies for so long in favour of my WII interest I feel I need to buy a movie or two, the last zombie movie I bought being LAND.

One final question; 28 Weeks Later, an insult to 28 Days? Or is it worth watching? My brother said it was really bad compared to the first one.
    28 Weeks Later starts VERY well, but the latter half/third just has a bit too much weak scripting IMHO!

Still a worth while watch though!

It was called 'Last Rites' (or 'Gangs of the Dead') but was just renamed simply to cache in on 28 Weeks Later! http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0436498/
    Last edited by Neil; 25-Feb-2008 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    28 Weeks Later - I feel is as good as, if not a smidge better than, the original. If you groaned a bit at the second half of 28 Days Later, you'll probably be a bit "meh" at the second half of 28 Weeks Later - aka "doing a Neil".

48 Weeks Later, the tiny bit I've heard about it has all been gash, name-raping cash-in type grievances.

The Zombie Diaries, I got it straight away and I enjoyed it. I guess you could say it's like a British, lower budgeted Diary of the Dead ... once you've seen Diary ... which I haven't yet, but I figured that's an easy way to put it. I though TZD was a pretty good flick.

United Kingdom
    I'll probably check out The Zombie Diaries then and maybe hire 28 Weeks again and actually watch it this time

Thanks guys.

I did a little bit of poking about and while the use of the name 48 Weeks Later for the UK release is shameful, according to quite a few movie review/horror sites it's not a bad movie, some even calling it a 'hidden gem' apparently... maybe worth buying, or at least renting.

I guess with any low budget zombie movie you have to take chances to judge it for yourself.
    Last edited by Craig; 25-Feb-2008 at 12:46 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    i'll add my voice to MZ's. zombie diaries is certainly worth a look. it is a bit dour and depressing (even for a zombie movie) but i still enjoyed it.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

capncnut
    Another movie also came up, The Zombie Diaries.
    Excellent movie, one of the better independent releases out there.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by scipio70 View Post
    i'll add my voice to MZ's. zombie diaries is certainly worth a look. it is a bit dour and depressing (even for a zombie movie) but i still enjoyed it.
    Hmmm, I remember the last time I checked on the board it wasn't really available for the US...I better check into that again...

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Hmmm, I remember the last time I checked on the board it wasn't really available for the US...I better check into that again...
    it is available through, ahem, alternate methods.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    You can bet your ass The Weinersteins wont release it before Diary hits the shelves...

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by capncnut View Post
    You can bet your ass The Weinersteins wont release it before Diary hits the shelves...
    Graaaargh! I forgot those f*ckers had the rights to it, as well as Diary

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Undisclosed
    Of course not. Their strategy is to buy up all the competition rather than have to compete with it.

That being said, I had a difficult time sitting through The Zombie Diaries. Like The Blair With Project, it has some great ideas but is poorly executed and has all the subtlety of a cinder block.

The world would be a much better place if everyone could give up riffing on the living dead apocalypse scenario already and come up with something new, but of course nobody ever listens to me.

United Kingdom
    Well I bought it, I decided if I wanna keep watching movies of the zombie genre, I'm gonna have to start taking risks with the 'dubious' releases of recent years.

England
    Excellent movie, one of the better independent releases out there.
    Another vote for "the zombie diaries", grim little movie, I enjoyed it a lot considering it's small cast, scale and budget.

Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    28 Weeks Later - I feel is as good as, if not a smidge better than, the original. If you groaned a bit at the second half of 28 Days Later, you'll probably be a bit "meh" at the second half of 28 Weeks Later - aka "doing a Neil".

48 Weeks Later, the tiny bit I've heard about it has all been gash, name-raping cash-in type grievances.

The Zombie Diaries, I got it straight away and I enjoyed it. I guess you could say it's like a British, lower budgeted Diary of the Dead ... once you've seen Diary ... which I haven't yet, but I figured that's an easy way to put it. I though TZD was a pretty good flick.
    I enjoyed 28 weeks later, not as good as 28 days later IMO, but it still had some good moments, and I just like the way the infected charge around ripping and tearing folk up.
    Last edited by Legion2213; 27-Feb-2008 at 06:57 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon