Thread: Zombie Survivors Guide

Undisclosed

Zombie Survivors Guide

I recently started to read this book and have found myself disagreeing with Brooks. Has anyone (look where I am asking this question) read this and found themselves in disagreement with the author? I disagree on weapon choice, some home fortification techniques and travel advise. I love the book and anything that challenges me to think deeply of my own situation and location is always a good thing. Any of yr thoughts on this.

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Yeah, I agree. I think it's worth noting, though, that the book seems geared towards the less-hardcore "novelty" market than serious geeky zed-heads like us.

Just been bitten zombieparanoia's Avatar

Undisclosed
    Yeah, I read it and there was a lot of it that I disagreed with or that didn't make sense.

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    You got the title wrong here. It's all right, and really there isn't a better book like it out there, and no book is perfect. I'll keep my copy, thanks. It may be useful... If nothing else, as kindling for when the power goes out.

Undisclosed
    Many times. He's completely talking out his ass on the firearms info for starters. Reading that section was like reading a guide to sex written by a virgin. Regurgiating old stories about the M-16 from Vietnam as though they are current problems for one thing.

He doesn't realize that most soldiers there were never proved cleaning kits, or information on how to maintain their weapons, and experienced high levels of malfunctions as a result. Plus, the lack of a chrome lined chamber and bore led to rust problems, and a propellant change created a fouling problem that was fixed when the propellant was changed back to the original propellant specified.

That has been changed, and was taken care of in like 1967 or so.
    He could have checked out AR-15.com and seen stories of people who've fired several thousand rounds of cheap, dirty Russian ammo like Wolf, and had few if any problems.

Plus he'd have figured out that a jam, misfire or failure to extract is not some end of the world game over event, but an event that happens to any shooter if they shoot enough and that it's a very simple remedy to that situation that is pounded into every soldier, police officer and serious shooter. Slap, rack bang, or shoot, pull, observe, release, tap, shoot.

He does it again in WWZ when talking about the SIR and it having a powerful recoil, despite a wood stock, and being chambered in 5.56mm NATO. Brooks obviously never fired a Ruger Mini-14, a wood stocked semiauto in .223, the civilian equivalent of 5.56mm. The Mini has dick for recoil.

Yeah, I can suspend disbelief, but there's no excuse for sloppy research and hoping your audience is too stupid to know the difference. It pulls people out of the story and ruins the effect you're trying to create.

Super Moderator

United States
    I definitely disagreed with him on a few things, but it's just fiction and little stuff for the most part. But I'm not one of the Beans-N'-Bullets type of guys, so a lot of errors down stand out to me.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Norway
    I think Max Brooks works are highly overated to say the least. That this board complain about Romero but meanwhile pay tribute to Brooks is really saying something about how much popular culture has eroded over the years.
    Max Brooks works are anti middle class and hostile to democracy.

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by Trencher View Post
    I think Max Brooks works are highly overated to say the least. That this board complain about Romero but meanwhile pay tribute to Brooks is really saying something about how much popular culture has eroded over the years.
    Agree wholeheartedly with this part!

Quote Originally Posted by Trencher View Post
    Max Brooks works are anti middle class and hostile to democracy.
    ...but I must say: I'm scratching my head at this.

Norway
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post

...but I must say: I'm scratching my head at this.
    Have you read world war z?

Scotland
    A while ago, but I don't remember anything about Brooks slamming democracy (or the middle class? Max Brooks is the son of Mel, so I'd imagine he had a privileged, middle/upper-class upbringing himself).
    Last edited by krakenslayer; 09-Jan-2010 at 11:04 PM.