Thread: Mad Max was dubbed in the US? OMG!

Administrator

England

Mad Max was dubbed in the US? OMG!

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mad_Max when when Mad Max was released in the US, all the voices were dubbed That must have been terrible!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    My British DVD has both soundtracks. I even think the US is the "standard" one on that DVD, and you have to switch over to the Australian if you want it.

EDIT: Yepp, just checked. The audiotracks are:

English, French, Italian

and

Bonus Audio Track: Original Australian Theatrical Audio

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    My British DVD has both soundtracks. I even think the US is the "standard" one on that DVD, and you have to switch over to the Australian if you want it.

EDIT: Yepp, just checked. The audiotracks are:

English, French, Italian

and

Bonus Audio Track: Original Australian Theatrical Audio
    OMG! How bad is it?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Just plopped it in and watched a few scenes with both soundtracks. It's not 100% super horrible, due to the dialoge actually matching the mouths. But you can tell that it's recorded in a studio, and they didn't do anything with it afterwards. For instance, in the scene where Max tells his boss he's quitting, their voices match the enviroment. In the US dub, their voices are always the same, no matter if they're in a car, in a cemented stairway or out in the open. It's definetly nowhere near as good as the original soundtrack.

Add to that, when skipping back and forth I noticed that they've changed the mix as well. In that scene I mentioned above, there's a quick, rather loud and jumpy music tune coming from either the radio or the TV. But in the US soundtrack, this tune is not only replaced with something much slower, but it's much MUCH lower. It seems like they remixed most of the movie and made the voices stand out from everything else, rather than being part of the situation.

The Australian soundtrack is definetly the superior one. It's much louder and more intense, and also much more realistic. In many ways, including the fact that the voices don't feel so out of place when they actually match the volume of the what's happening around them better.

Canada
    australian and british are accents that are hard to understand..at least from all the aussies and brits i've ever met. I can understand why they'd want a dub of the movie, even though it sucked compared to the original, they probibly just figured it would have been easier to understand if they re-dubbed it.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I have no problems understanding the thick aussie accent in Mad Max.

capncnut
    The version Sky show is dubbed to f**k. Everyone except the diehard Aussies, including ol' Lizzie Birdsworth, gawd bless 'er!

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Yeah this dubbed version was the only version you could get for a while...I think some vipco type company released the undubbed version on VHS about 15 years ago - but every copy I've ever encountered was dubbed to American....thought this was common knowledge!!

Its most notable when that guy is under a car fixing it and exclaims something that sounds like "what the mother fruck?"

Undisclosed
    Ive grown up watching Mad Max and didn't know it wasn't the original soundtrack. I knew it was dubbed, but assumed thats how it was oringinally made, until a special edition Mad Max came out and said includes original Australian soundtrack. LoL

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Shadow View Post
    Ive grown up watching Mad Max and didn't know it wasn't the original soundtrack. I knew it was dubbed, but assumed thats how it was oringinally made
    Same here. In fact, I was watching it two days ago and actually made a comment about the dubbing.