Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 'Wanted' - The more I see, the more it annoys me...

Administrator

England

'Wanted' - The more I see, the more it annoys me...

Just looks like utter over-the-top ill-thought-out unbelievable eye candy...

Look at the third clip here - http://www.cinemablend.com/new/7-Cli...nted-9213.html

Sorry!

If they can do stuff life this then there are no rules (worth worrying about) in this film so the characters can do anything they like... So you have absolutely no concern for them or the events shown... What's the point then!

It's Charlies Angels 2 all over again!

Daft bollards!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    it looks like a comedy, like a bunch of suits asked a bunch of 9 year olds "what would be awesome?' and this is the result.

Super Moderator

UK
    Yeah but Wanted is based on a comic book, and it's supposed to be all that OTT action and bullet-curling stuff. That's the sort of movie it's supposed to be, it's not really angling to be in the real world, or whatever.

I'm definitely up for seeing it.

Wanted tells the story of one helpless drone's transformation into an avenger for justice.
    Doesn't sound like a tough, gritty, kitchen-sinker does it? Ergo, point proven.

I mean, if you can watch the second clip, and think it's anything but 'out of this world', then you must be mad. I really don't understand your gripe with the movie, especially when you've not even seen it yet.

It also makes perfect sense that the Night/Day/Twilight Watch guy was picked to direct ... despite his views of internet-viewer-gullibility ... which was silly in itself, because surely people all over the world were fooled, or indeed not fooled, by the apparently movie-tie-in-advert-music-video-thing he did. Also, it was done fairly convincingly, and with a lot of real stuff going up on YouTube etc, it's not surprising that people think it could be real - and indeed, think it might not be, cos there's plenty of fakery going on too ... it's also ironic of him to say so, when he's out there making the sort of movies he makes.

Anyway, I'm definitely up for Wanted in the cinema, looks like a good flick for me and the lads to go check out as we wait ever patiently for The Dark Knight to rock our worlds.

Also - based on an already existing comic book - so it's not just a bunch of studio exec ideas tossed around like in those Orange adverts.

Wanted is a creator-owned comic book miniseries, consisting of six issues written by Mark Millar with art by J. G. Jones and published by Top Cow in 2003 and 2004 as part of Millarworld.[1] It features an amoral protagonist who discovers he is the heir to a career as a super-villainous assassin in a world where such villains have secretly taken control of the planet.

The series is adult in nature, similar to more grown-up 'super-hero' titles such as The Authority or The Ultimates. Like the Authority or the Squadron Supreme, several characters are based on DC Comics characters and super-villains (See below). The series also bears resemblance to the 1999 films Fight Club and The Matrix, as it is about a despondent man in an unfulfilling white-collar job who finds a new lease on life but becomes extremely violent and marked as outside of 'normal' society. It differs from these films in that the main character has no desire to improve the world through this violence, but only embraces it in the pursuit of selfish, egocentric pleasures.
    The extent of the similarity between the film and the book remains to be seen, but geez, at least f*ckin' watch it before you start whining about it.

I really don't understand the gripe just about it being OTT.

If it ends up being sh*t, then it's sh*t - but you and I will have to see it to know for sure whether it is or isn't. Some films are clearly gonna be garbage from the start (Ghey08 for one), but it's not so clear-cut for many films ... but then again, if you've already made up your mind so strongly after a couple of clips, then what's the point.

Bah! Jaded juice all over the screen...
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 19-Jun-2008 at 12:41 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Yeah but Wanted is based on a comic book, and it's supposed to be all that OTT action and bullet-curling stuff. That's the sort of movie it's supposed to be, it's not really angling to be in the real world, or whatever.

I'm definitely up for seeing it.

*mz sits at his computer surrounded by the money he was paid to say that....so much money he had to be paid in tophats, monocles and cats!*

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    *mz sits at his computer surrounded by the money he was paid to say that....so much money he had to be paid in tophats, monocles and cats!*
    First of all, I do have morals.

Second of all, I'm basically skint...nuff said.

Administrator

England
    Watch that third clip (I linked to) and tell me your brain isn't screaming for mercy... Rediculous contrived nonsense!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Ridiculous contrived nonsense? Nope, that's not what that is.

What that is, is very OTT action that clearly isn't placed in any sort of real-world reality whatsoever.

What's wrong with that? That's such a rubbish reason to hate a movie you haven't seen yet.

You're fine with Orcs and hobbits and Gondor and an entire middle earth, but a nifty car 'stunt' set in an exceptionally unrealistic FANTASY world (when was it ever purporting to be based in reality?) you're not fine with?

Evidently this movie was never made for your odd taste in being picky about certain movies or elements. Go back to whinging about the jungle chase in Indy 4.

Once again, I'll be off with the lads to check it out.

Administrator

England
    What that is, is very OTT action that clearly isn't placed in any sort of real-world reality whatsoever.

What's wrong with that? That's such a rubbish reason to hate a movie you haven't seen yet.
    Because it's rule-less... Anything can happen for any reason. There's no risk, no care... It's just stream of mindless pretty images with no value... Absolutely akin to the truck off the cliff scene in Indy IV!

Of course I might be wrong, and I'll wait till I see it to comment in full... But this to me is Charlies Angels 3 from what I've seen...
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Comment in full? Sounds like your opinion is made up, mate.

What about The Matrix? Aye you could die in it, but I bet people die in Wanted too, and indeed the good guys no doubt get into scrapes.

What's wrong with having a bit of rule-less fun now and then? There's a huge difference between this and Charlie's-f*ckin'-Angels I'm sure...the lack of Mc-f*ckin'-G for one thing.

In The Matrix you had Neo f*ckin' flying, stopping bullets, seeing nothing but green gobbledygook text, getting logged into a computer via his spine so that he can learn Kung-Fu in seconds - thus giving an average bloke a far better chance in The Matrix itself - so I'm still baffled by your stubborn hatred of Wanted even when you haven't seen it...sheesh.

You're proper judgemental.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    its because it looks like a 12 years old idea of a "bitchin' action movie", like when they used wire-fu in scary movie, its over the top to the point of satirical absurdity.

Super Moderator

UK
    You two must be doing coke or something, you're making no sense.

So wire-fu in The Matrix is fine, but in Scary Movie - a SPOOF movie - it's not...and what's a spoof movie got to do with Wanted?

Also, the creator of the comic started coming up with these ideas when he was a kid.

I do resent this sheer volume of jadedness, Fast & the Furious is one of those teenage-pleasing "bitchin' action movies" that you speak so lowly of.

I really cannot understand the sheer hatred of Wanted - a movie neither of you have seen yet!

*bah!* weirdos...

As I've said before, if I go and see it and it turns out sh*t - then I'll say as such. But I'm not going to call it garbage before I, or anybody, has seen it yet.

And my continued hanging around in this thread is less to do with the movie, and more to do with you two being so intensely negative, and mindy-madey-uppy before seeing it.

And also, considering it's directed by Timur Bekmambetov, I'd really like to know what youze two thought of Night Watch and Day Watch......that latter of which had a car drive up the side of a building's glass front instead of just showing the occupant parking, getting out, going in a lift, and walking along a corridor to get to the meeting she was heading to.

*bah!*
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 20-Jun-2008 at 06:32 PM.

Administrator

England
    You two must be doing coke or something, you're making no sense.

So wire-fu in The Matrix is fine, but in Scary Movie - a SPOOF movie - it's not...and what's a spoof movie got to do with Wanted?

Also, the creator of the comic started coming up with these ideas when he was a kid.

I do resent this sheer volume of jadedness, Fast & the Furious is one of those teenage-pleasing "bitchin' action movies" that you speak so lowly of.

I really cannot understand the sheer hatred of Wanted - a movie neither of you have seen yet!

*bah!* weirdos...

As I've said before, if I go and see it and it turns out sh*t - then I'll say as such. But I'm not going to call it garbage before I, or anybody, has seen it yet.

And my continued hanging around in this thread is less to do with the movie, and more to do with you two being so intensely negative, and mindy-madey-uppy before seeing it.

And also, considering it's directed by Timur Bekmambetov, I'd really like to know what youze two thought of Night Watch and Day Watch......that latter of which had a car drive up the side of a building's glass front instead of just showing the occupant parking, getting out, going in a lift, and walking along a corridor to get to the meeting she was heading to.

*bah!*
    The Matrix was a fantastic example of exactly what this film may not be. It's action and visuals bound around a plot and RULES befitting them. Things mattered because there were rules that governed things... It's explained and nothing too outrageous is done... They are 'bending the program'. They are able - within limits - to act within 'the program' rather than the rules/limits it pretend we live within.

Now, Wanted... When - supposedly in a real world (they're not in a computer program are they?) - somehow someone can perfectly judge the impact strength and momentum of one car against another, judging the Z axis roll given by this impact, the Y momentum produced, and manage then to do so - somehow between two independantly driven vehicle - to throw one car perfectly over another such that sun roofs line up....blah blah... It's of course absolutely unbeliavable utter rediculous over the top bollards...

There is absolutely NO WAY this scene could EVER happen in any way at all! Yet it's acceptable? Fair enough... It looks pretty, and the net effect is that it is just disposable action where nothing other than the visuals matter.

Is this an issue? Nah... Is it a waste... Yah! Instead of 'The Matrix' we're getting (potentially) Charlies Angels 3...

Now, hopefully I'm totally and utterly wrong! And the scene I'm talking about is the same as the stupid car jump scene in 'The Transporter 2', which although was a bad moment in the film, managed to claw back up to a reasonablish level.

My concern is all the action scenes I see from Wanted look this unbelievable and contrived...

I like hellsing's comment - it looks like a comedy, like a bunch of suits asked a bunch of 9 year olds "what would be awesome?' and this is the result.
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Absolutely akin to the truck off the cliff scene in Indy IV!
    Lucaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaas!

Oh, sorry...a little knee-jerk reaction, there. Anywho, I agree with MZ. OTT action set in a comic book milieu, in which the whole shtick of the film has to do with 'bending' the rules, is not any sort of deal breaker for me.

Neil, you say there's no rules to this film, but your candor smacks of assumptions.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Neil, you say there's no rules to this film, but your candor smacks of assumptions.
    Absolutely... And I've said that I may well be wrong... But every clip I see suggests the only rules were what dictated nice special effects. Serious, that car doing a flip over another is utter unforgivable bollards...

Hopefully I am wrong!! Seriously! The visuals look glorious, so it would be nice if there was some point to them!
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

United States
    As long as we can both agree that Lucas sucks

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany