Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: TWD 2x13 "Beside The Dying Fire" episode discussion... **SPOILERS WITHIN**

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by sandrock74 View Post
    Forget the reloading of guns! For me, the thing that I can't believe they never show is everyone going to the bathroom. I mean, seriously, am I to believe that NONE of the survivors ever has to pee or poop??
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    I did see and hear Daryl tell Rick he had to take a piss in one of the episodes, so

Just sayin'...

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    The issue isn't really if they don't show them doing something, it's when they do show them doing something, but it's too implausible or impossible
    But if we see them eating, shouldn't we see the end results?

Now that I think about it....we saw Fat Tony piss on the floor of the bar, yet we never saw him drink anything. This show is flawed!
    Last edited by bassman; 23-Mar-2012 at 04:22 PM. Reason: .

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Now that I think about it....we saw Fat Tony piss on the floor of the bar, yet we never saw him drink anything. This show is flawed!
    That's it, bass is right. I'm done with this show!

United States
    Yeah, people. I personally take 2-3 shits a day, and boy are they time consuming barnburners!!!
    And just imagine how much bigger the fan base would be if they put in daily takings of shits. All those German scheisse video lovers...
    Time to start an online petition, get those viewing/pooping numbers up.
    Last edited by rongravy; 23-Mar-2012 at 04:38 PM. Reason: poop

Administrator

England
    The idea it would be "boring" to show Herschel reloading - well, there's a lot more even more boring shit shown in TWD that took up WAY more time (y'know, like having to spend half the goddamn second season looking for some stupid little girl that wandered off?) so I don't think showing Herschel reloading or picking up a different gun for 2 seconds would really have that much of a impact. It would, however, have completely eliminated a lot of questions about it. And as Neil has pointed out - a lot of people have noticed this scene and questioned it. Not many people have questioned why no one has not taken a shit, however, so I guess I digress...
    Crap your right.. i never thought about that, how could they spend so much time building up a storyline? all that time could have been spent showing them loading up guns!!

Look, if your taken out of the moment becuase a gun dosnt fire the right number of bullets then thats your problem. The vast majority, and im talking a good 80-90% of people dont care and would be taken out of the moment if everything was paused so that herschel can reload his shotgun every 4 or 5 shots, its not a huge leap of faith to just assume that it happens off screen while the camera is on somebody else is it?

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Crap your right.. i never thought about that, how could they spend so much time building up a storyline? all that time could have been spent showing them loading up guns!!

Look, if your taken out of the moment becuase a gun dosnt fire the right number of bullets then thats your problem. The vast majority, and im talking a good 80-90% of people dont care and would be taken out of the moment if everything was paused so that herschel can reload his shotgun every 4 or 5 shots, its not a huge leap of faith to just assume that it happens off screen while the camera is on somebody else is it?
    I'm going to have to watch the scene again, because my brain was screaming 'foul'. And the reason it was doing this was the ease he seemed to be firing off rounds, and the proximinity and number of the dead to him.

ie: From memory there seemed to be a wall of the dead approaching him, and my brain seemed to be complaining at his shotgun (holding 6-8 rounds) fending off this wall of walkers coming towards him, when he'd have to stop every 6-8 shots for 10-20seconds to reload. My brain said if he stopped to reload, they'd be on him... So it's not the fact we didn't see him reload, it's that he simply wouldn't have the time to and not have his butt munched off!

I'll rewatch this scene and see if I was fair/unfair... I'll report back
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

England
    Cmon people. I can't be the only one whose noticed Andy Lincolns choice of head twitch to play Rick.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Super Moderator

UK
    To be honest, ive stayed out of this herschel/shotgun/reloading argument becuase quite frankly, its stupid.

When i watched the scene, Herschel fires 3 or 4 shots in succession then it cuts to something else, then back to herschel who fires off another 3 or 4 rounds. I took it he was reloading between scenes becuase like MZ has said, it would be BORING to show it and it would disrupt the flow of the action and tension of the farm scene. The fact that you guys are picking this up and trying to say "he should have reloaded becuase i thought he had unlimited ammo" is just plain retarded.

I havnt seen any of the characters go for a shit on screen but i dont scream and complain that they have superhuman bowels.

Come on guys, seriously.
    We may disagree on Shane, but we can agree on infinite ammo!

Quote Originally Posted by Knighty View Post
    I love the subtitles idea!

"Carol is running to the barn and looking scared"

Especially good for T-Dog since we rarely see him

"T-Dog is day dreaming about surfing in the East Coast, he's had a busy day of planting fence posts. He might go say hi to Rick then have a cup of tea. T-Dog lives an exciting life"
    Excellent, Sir, excellent!

I wonder what they'd say about other characters?

Quote Originally Posted by sandrock74 View Post
    Forget the reloading of guns! For me, the thing that I can't believe they never show is everyone going to the bathroom. I mean, seriously, am I to believe that NONE of the survivors ever has to pee or poop??
    Lori takes a whiz in the field and finds out she's up-the-duff, so relieving yourself on-screen didn't work out so handily for her ... nor Fat Tony. It's a conspiracy! Pee/Poo on-screen and you're somehow scuppered!

Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    But if we see them eating, shouldn't we see the end results?

I'm putting together placards right now, we march on AMC at dawn! ... ...

Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    Cmon people. I can't be the only one whose noticed Andy Lincolns choice of head twitch to play Rick.
    Erm, I think I know what you mean, but more of a nod than a twitch wouldn't you say?

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    There's good reason for this and I applaud Lincoln for picking up on it.

You know about water fluoridation, right? Where a reduced form of fluorine, or fluoride as it is know in this reduced state, is added to the water supplies in some countries in controlled substances for health & dental hygiene reasons. Well only about 40 or so states in the USA fluoridate their water, the rest of them--predominantly in the American South--instead add methamphetamine.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    I have seen plenty of people on screen go into a bathroom, or go off to use the bathroom I am not sure where this old argument comes from. If you mean you want to WATCH it occur I am sure google can hook you up... I do not need to see it happening.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    There's good reason for this and I applaud Lincoln for picking up on it.

You know about water fluoridation, right? Where a reduced form of fluorine, or fluoride as it is know in this reduced state, is added to the water supplies in some countries in controlled substances for health & dental hygiene reasons. Well only about 40 or so states in the USA fluoridate their water, the rest of them--predominantly in the American South--instead add methamphetamine.

The problem is....we don't need to add meth to the water down here. Just about everyone seems to be on that sh*t, anyway. Hey there's an idea....why hire extra zombies? Just throw some meth heads in there and it's a perfect match! Although I guess they would have to change it to Snyder super-charged zombies. And instead of eating flesh, they'll take apart cars on their front lawns...
    Last edited by bassman; 23-Mar-2012 at 06:41 PM. Reason: .

United States
    Look, if your taken out of the moment becuase a gun dosnt fire the right number of bullets then thats your problem. The vast majority, and im talking a good 80-90% of people dont care

Huh. Interesting. Perhaps for you and the people you know or converse with that's the case, but not so with me because it's WAY more than 10-20% of people I know have mentioned this as an issue and not just in TWD - but in every movie or tv show that ignores the basic principles of firearms.

As far as your "advancing the storyline" comment, Andy - sorry, we do NOT need half of a season of TWD following around a little shit that didn't follow directions to advance the storyline of the show. Would you have wasted that much time and took that much risk for that little girl during the zombie apocalypse? If so, I sure as hell hope I don't end up in a survivor group with you.
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 23-Mar-2012 at 07:06 PM. Reason: .

Administrator

England
    It's as bad as my spider sense told me IMHO.

My brain complained while watching it the first time - It complain "Hershal is firing too many shots!" So my brain left the episode and considered how the writers are cheating...

So I just watched it again to see if my claims are valid. I've mentioned the episode time (approx) and a summary of events. Shots mentioned off camera are almost certainly meant to be Hershal IMHO:-
    12:30 = Hershal shown firing nine times
    12:40 = 2-3 shots off camera (no time to reload from previous shots)
    12:47 = Hershal shown firing 4 more times (no time to reload from previous shots), stops to reload (shown)
    13:06 = 2 shots off camera
    13:12 = 2 shot off camera
    13:17 = 7 shots on camera
    13:30 = 5 shots off camera (no time to reload since previous 7 shots)

...continued/sporadic gunshots - possible meant to be Hershal

15:23 = 10 shots, stops to reload (shown)
    15:51 = 1 shot (stops for a chat with Rick)

How many shells does your average pump action shotgun hold? 5-7?

^^And all this nonsense would be solved had he walked out with a bag of shotguns...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England

Way to totally miss my point, ive highlighted it for you

Huh. Interesting. Perhaps for you and the people you know or converse with that's the case, but not so with me because it's WAY more than 10-20% of people I know have mentioned this as an issue and not just in TWD - but in every movie or tv show that ignores the basic principles of firearms.
    Do i need to quote MZ? You miss that post too? This stuff isnt shown becuase its pointless, boring, does not advance the story and takes up precious screen time.

Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr
    As far as your "advancing the storyline" comment, Andy - sorry, we do NOT need half of a season of TWD following around a little shit that didn't follow directions to advance the storyline of the show. Would you have wasted that much time and took that much risk for that little girl during the zombie apocalypse? If so, I sure as hell hope I don't end up in a survivor group with you.
    Maybe i saw a different mid-season finale to you but the whole first half of the season was building up to that payoff was it not? It really wouldnt have had the same impact if sophia got lost in episode 1 and they never mentioned her again until she appeared as a zombie in episode 7 would it?

That advances the storyline more than herschel stopping to reload his gun.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I don't see how shots heard off screen are meant to be Hershel. Sure, they could be, but how many people were shooting on the farm at the point? It could have been anyone...