Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dear George: Please retire with dignity.

Undisclosed

Dear George: Please retire with dignity.

After reading Sirjacktorrence's review, I can't help but think you've spent too long behind the camera, falling behind current trends and film. LAND was OK, but Diary was horrible, and now that torrence has put a fork in you, it is time to quit making zombie movies.

We had good times in the past, but let's not leave with a sour taste in our mouth. End the pain, now George. No more bad movies.
    "Totally Togepi!"

capncnut
    Romero has to retire because Torrance posted a bad review? Oh puhlease...

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Oh, bugger off, will you? There's enough of this shit on the IMDB forums, we don't need it on here too.

Dissapointment is not "pain", Mikey. Getting cancer, being paralysed in an accident, being raped, seeing a family member die... those are painful experiences; being disappointed by a movie is not.

Like I've said before, new George Romero films are one of those things that makes the passage of year-onto-year an interesting one, and even a bad Romero film is better than none, IMO. Heck, a bad Romero film is better than most of the shit that comes to cinemas these days anyway. I throughly enjoyed the last couple of pictures he made, even if they weren't on a par with his original series.

I fail to see how this belief that "George will never make a great film again" leads on to a wish for him to never make any more movies, period. I mean, if he keeps making movies, then there's always a chance (however small you might think that is) that he will make a great one, wheras if he stops then that chance is reduced to zero.

For me, his movies are always entertaining, even the less-than-classics. And more than that - half the fun comes from the sense of hope that the next film could be THE ONE... coming on here, talking about it, speculating and arguing about it. If he retires, we lose all that. Game over - Homepage of the Dead becomes a redundant graveyard with a handful of people arguing about the same issues from the same movies for all eternity, with no hope of anything new to stir things up. That, right there, is why - in my mind - posts like this are not productive.
    Last edited by krakenslayer; 17-Oct-2009 at 02:23 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    Oh, bugger off, will you? There's enough of this shit on the IMDB forums, we don't need it on here too.
    word. this is feckin' ridiculous actually. romero is under absolutely no mandate as an artist to please "fans" or cater to their whims. the important thing, which hardly anyone seems to realize, is that as long as romero is happy with the work he's doing, he shouldn't even care whether or not people on internet forums think he's "lost" it.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

United Kingdom

Dissapointment is not "pain", Mikey. Getting cancer, being paralysed in an accident, being raped, seeing a family member die... those are painful experiences; being disappointed by a movie is not.

Like I've said before, new George Romero films are one of those things that makes the passage of year-onto-year an interesting one, and even a bad Romero film is better than none, IMO. Heck, a bad Romero film is better than most of the shit that comes to cinemas these days anyway. I throughly enjoyed the last couple of pictures he made, even if they weren't on a par with his original series.

I fail to see how this belief that "George will never make a great film again" leads on to a wish for him to never make any more movies, period. I mean, if he keeps making movies, then there's always a chance (however small you might think that is) that he will make a great one, wheras if he stops then that chance is reduced to zero.

For me, his movies are always entertaining, even the less-than-classics. And more than that - half the fun comes from the sense of hope that the next film could be THE ONE... coming on here, talking about it, speculating and arguing about it. If he retires, we lose all that. Game over - Homepage of the Dead becomes a redundant graveyard with a handful of people arguing about the same issues from the same movies for all eternity, with no hope of anything new to stir things up. That, right there, is why - in my mind - posts like this are not productive.
    Big red words is what I believe. It's great that everyone who's seen this movie is sharing their opinions about it, but for fucks sake.
    Kill 'em All

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    That's it Romero! A single fan has disagreed with your new film, so it's time to pack it up. You're no longer needed or wanted.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    LOL dude did you really expect that post to be well recieved? Ill thought out, belligerant and silly.
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Banned User

Undisclosed
    I never get these people who take it so personally when they don't like a product and start posting 'open letters' to directors and musicians they will never meet.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    ^^ yup. What also gets me is that people feel it's more relevant to their lives to demand someone end their career rather than they just don't bother with that person, and move onto other interests.

What also gets me is that its plainly obvious from the interview that Lee Karr did with George that he really doesn't need to hear shit like this. I'm all for constructive criticism and I'm definitely an anti-fan boy but this sort of beliggerant attack is most likely to be read by George at some juncture or other and this could jeopardise his confidence in both his fans and the genre.

As I say, if you don't like it - express that in a way that doesn't involve childish put downs and attacks on people's credibility.
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicX View Post
    What also gets me is that its plainly obvious from the interview that Lee Karr did with George that he really doesn't need to hear shit like this. I'm all for constructive criticism and I'm definitely an anti-fan boy but this sort of beliggerant attack is most likely to be read by George at some juncture or other and this could jeopardise his confidence in both his fans and the genre.
    Bingo. What say we all let this thread sink to the bottom of the list, o reduce the chances of that happening?

United States
    Finito!
    Unless we give him the satisfaction. Let's not waste energy here but send it elsewhere to hail the king of the dead.
    "Hey Mikey! He likes it!"
    "You stick your head in the sun, they're gonna come up behind you and bite off your ass."

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by octo7 View Post
    I never get these people who take it so personally when they don't like a product and start posting 'open letters' to directors and musicians they will never meet.

Second.

United States
    Yes
    George you must quit immeditately.

We know your only making movies to cause
    pain to others.

You sick and dirty bastard.

Never mind there have ALWAYS been people
    who didn't like your films right as far back as Night.
    Hell there are people who don't even like zombie
    movies at all. Even more reason to quit.

You should have stopped back in 1969.
    In fact, you should have never made Night.
    Who do you think you are, anyways?

Step aside and let true horror masters like
    Uwe Boll take thier rightful place.

United States

Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    word. this is feckin' ridiculous actually. romero is under absolutely no mandate as an artist to please "fans" or cater to their whims. the important thing, which hardly anyone seems to realize, is that as long as romero is happy with the work he's doing, he shouldn't even care whether or not people on internet forums think he's "lost" it.
    Gentlemen, well said. I've been bracing myself for awhile now...

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    I hate to say it, everyone, but this thread is...
    TOTALLY TOGEPI!!!!
    Psych! Ahh... y'know... like, Romero movies are like fine wine... everyone's a critic.