Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skins (UK show on E4)...a bit of a rant...

Super Moderator

UK

Skins (UK show on E4)...a bit of a rant...

Anyone else watch this?

I've been watching it from the beginning, and it hasn't changed one bit since the start - it's crushingly serious 95% of the time, not to mention exploitative in nature - it's a lurid show.

It takes elements that would be relatively minor experiences in the lives of some British teenagers, and then inflates them to such gargantuan size that apparently every British teenager is fucking like rabbits 24/7, smacked off their tits on weed, pills and coke, and is constantly drinking like a bunch of alcoholics - not to mention getting served and admitted into countless pubs and clubs when they're underage.

Anything good it has to say is always washed over by the ludicrously OTT portrayal of British teens (bollocks is that realistic), as well as it's po-faced seriousness and overtly dramatic style.

It simply doesn't ring true. A diluted version maybe (for city teens), but no way is that a realistic portrayal of teenage life in the UK.

What is though is the thoroughly excellent The Inbetweeners - which I'm ashamed to say I initially fobbed off dismissively as a Skins cash-in - but it's far better and stands on its own two feet, and actually feels realistic - hell, it almost feels identical to sixth form life in the UK (albeit in a sitcom wrapping).

So yeah - anyone else watch Skins / The Inbetweeners ... thoughts?

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    youve summed up why i didnt like it. it had that same vibe i got when i watched the film human traffic, they where meant to be 20 somethings doing stuff, but all came off as dicks, or pretentious dicks. it always came off as more for the "pint with the lads then a curry" crowd and just not aimed at me. my brother loves it, but the portrayal of young british people as, well, as scummy trash for lack of a better analogy didnt appeal to me.

Though to be honest british tv has been shit for years now. the only british show i even watched. at all. last year was doctor who, and even that was its worst episodes.

Hell my tv doesnt even HAVE an arial. if i want to watch tv there are a few things i will watch online are the big bang thoery, myth busters, american chopper, miami ink, tim and eric awesome show, family guy, american dad and south park.

Unless its a special thats it. my tvs a hd media center peice, tv can suck it, especially english tv. 5 channels, all shit.

hell even bbc3 and 4 are wank nowadays, ESPECIALLY bbc3 that was great a year or two ago now its total crap.

now i think about it i stopped giving a shit about tv when mtv stopped showing music and stuff like beavis and butthead, daria and jackass.

yes i liked dariah, fuck y'all.

-ooh, 'cept for that Mitchell and webb look, not grade A comedy, but funnier than the other shit that gets branded as comedy by british tv nowadays, most of it makes me miss friends.

i am NOT being sarcastic there.

but not joey.

fuck joey.
    Last edited by Danny; 29-Jan-2010 at 02:32 PM.

United Kingdom
    Skins...hate it. With a passion. The characters are annoying, unrealistic bellends.
    The Inbetweeners...Love it. One of the funniest programs on tv for years. Everyone knew someone like the four main characters in school, it's well written, and hilarious.

British tv is generally shite when it comes to comedy, but now and then we get a gem. Like Red Dwarf, Father Ted, The Inbetweeners, and erm....
    Kill 'em All

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Of War View Post

British tv is generally shite when it comes to comedy, but now and then we get a gem. Like Red Dwarf, Father Ted, The Inbetweeners, and erm....
    -spaced.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    -spaced.
    And a bunch more after that...

But yeah, we get a lot of panel shows and sketch shows these days. The panel shows are either good (Have I Got News For You, which has been going for like 20 series, or Mock The Week, which doesn't have the same sparkle now that Boyle has moved on) or utter shit (8 Out of 10 Cats, which literally has the identical script for every fucking episode in every fucking series - and it fucks me off - plus it's always exactly the fucking same, and Jamelia or David Walliams is on it every other week practically being thick as shit/'being gay but not gay but pretty gay but not but yes ... no ... yes' respectively).

The writers of Skins have said how 'ooh, look how representative we are' - and they're fucking not - it's pure fantasy, with moments of realism thrown in. If it wasn't for all the ludicrously OTT and unrealistic hedonism on display, the serious and well handled points might actually shine through once in a while - but it's just so crushingly serious all the damn time ... ... in fact it's as serious as the mopey bastard in the corner that you knew in Sixth Form ... and I should know, because I look back and just cringe at how 'seery-ass' (serious) I was in the Sixth Form some of the time ... so yeah, you just think "you know what you pampered sixth former, fuck you" when you watch Skins.

Most of the characters anyway, the rest of them bring their shit on themselves - and fucking hell, I can't stand that "Cook" guy ... what an utter bell end of a character.

It also feels cheesy as hell when it's trying to be 'down with the kids' (the lead writers are a father & son combo, I think) - such as the skater boy 'rawk' style introduction of that Freddie character in series 3 - lame.

Whereas The Inbetweeners puts it right up on front street - modern British teenage life isn't exciting, and it's based upon small (modern) rites of passage, and trying to be cool and do cool things, but failing miserably. It gets the lingo right, it gets the attitudes right, it gets the approach to the opposite sex right, it's just right - PLUS it's actually fucking entertaining!!!

Watching Skins has become like ... like ... being dragged through one hundred bushes made out of pure Emo, and then having to sit there listening to an Emo bitch and moan to the point that any valid issues or worries or problems are washed over by the endless DRAMA!!!!! and HEDONISM!!!! put on show.

So yeah - I look forward to a new series of The Inbetweeners, because not only is it funny as fook ("bus wankers!" ), but it's actually realistic ... sometimes very realistic ... even uncomfortably/comfortably close and realistic.

In summary, we need a TV renaissance like the Americans have had.

England
    Yeah I cant stand it either, I got up to all sorts in my late teens but nothing like those lot seem to! If skins was reality it would mean the entire teenage population of the country both male & female were heavy drug users (granted some are, but not like in this program), bisexual, far more clued up about the big wide world than anyone older could possibly be, all with various mental disorders & all getting laid constantly! All the lads I knew at that age including myself spent most of the time knocking one out because girls our age werent interested in us, they were far more into lads in their early - mid 20's so we only got laid every now & again unless in relationships, most of us spent the time between 17 & 21 going home empty handed,after that when we'd matured we got more action! And the storylines are just a load of crap anyway!

England
    Yeah, but skins is "raw", "edgy" and "out there" man...or something.

Honestly though, I never watch it, doesn't appeal to me.

(Tricky, your dog thingy is fucking disturbing!)

Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Of War View Post
    Monty Python, Faulty Towers, Black Adder. . . . . .
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    Monty Python, Faulty Towers, Black Adder. . . . . .

Yeah, I know, I just couldn't think of any at the time. My point still stands, though.
    Kill 'em All

Super Moderator

UK
    I think it's tougher these days. We've got so many comedy classics in our British vault, but these days you're more likely to come across something hideously bad like The Persuasionists (BBC2), than stumbling across a genuine gem like The Inbetweeners (E4/C4).

United Kingdom
    I think the only "regular" sitcom that's been funny in the past few years is Outnumbered (BBC1). My missus loves it, and the few episodes I've watched have been pretty good.
    Kill 'em All

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I don't mean to hijack your british show thread with my american nonsense, but I've recently seen 'The Mighty Boosh' and my mind is blown...

I had heard mention of this show a few times around the net, but it's just now started airing here on Cartoon Network's Adult Swim block and it's made me cry with laughter on several occasions. And that's after having seen only a handful of episodes...

Not only is it hilarious, it's just so damn weird. Anyway, I know it's been over there for years, but just curious to what you guys thought about it.
    Last edited by bassman; 09-Feb-2010 at 02:21 PM.

United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I don't mean to hijack your british show thread with my american nonsense, but I've recently seen 'The Mighty Boosh' and my mind is blown...

I had heard mention of this show a few times around the net, but it's just now started airing here on Cartoon Network's Adult Swim block and it's made me cry with laughter on several occasions. And that's after having seen only a handful of episodes...

Not only is it hilarious, it's just so damn weird. Anyway, I know it's been over there for years, but just curious to what you guys thought about it.

It's a bit hit and miss for me, that one. When it's funny it's piss-myself-laughing funny, but sometimes it is just a bit too weird. I went to watch the live show with my brother a couple of years ago, and it was absolutely hilarious. Noel Fielding (the one that looks like a crow) is a comedy genius, his run on Never Mind The Buzzcocks was great.
    Kill 'em All

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    The first season of boosh was comedy gold, the type fo british comedy that has a full script of one liners.

Then it quickly overstayed its welcome by become a one note joke, or 'crimp' as it were, by season 3 it was just kinda sad, which is a big shame.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    Then it quickly overstayed its welcome by become a one note joke, or 'crimp' as it were, by season 3 it was just kinda sad, which is a big shame.
    I think one of the funniest episodes I saw was from season three. The Eels Song or something like that...

Had a guy dressed up with a bunch of lifesavers candy singing about eels "climbin up inside ya".