Thread: One of the few good cop stories.

Christmas Island

One of the few good cop stories.

I wish there were more people like this wearing badges:

http://www.kmbc.com/news/17612378/detail.html

Officers Help Homeless Man Find Apartment
    Police Officers Commended For Helping Harold

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- A man named Harold was homeless until he met two Kansas City police officers who took him under their wing.

Officers David Loar and Chris Skinner met 70-year-old Harold on New Year's Eve. The officers were checking out an alarm call in the underground parking lot of Sears at Antioch Mall when they came across Harold.

"I said (to Skinner), 'What do you have?' And he said, 'I'm not sure, but I think we got somebody under here, and he's not moving.' And then a hand went up and we said, 'Whoa, thank God he's alive,'" Loar told KMBC's Peggy Breit.

The officers had found Harold, a retired trucker who was down on his luck. Harold said he spent his nights in the parking lot after he lost his house in a divorce and his identification was stolen at a homeless shelter.

The officers worked to help Harold get some identification again, and they continued to visit him.

"It was tough those cold nights when we'd check on him, and say, 'Hey, you need a sandwich?' or 'You got plenty to drink? You warm enough?' And then to go home and climb into our beds and go, 'Man, I wonder how he's doing back there,'" Skinner said.

After a few months, the officers were able to get Harold's paperwork sorted out and they found him an apartment. Before the unit was ready, the officers put Harold up in a hotel at their own expense, Breit reported.

Thursday, Loar and Skinner received commendations for their work with Harold.

The officers said they've already received an even bigger reward.

"Our award was Harold has a house and an income and medical benefits, and he's no long sleeping on the cement at 71 years old," Loar said.

The officers said they still stop by and see Harold in his apartment.

Once Harold got his identification back, he started receiving Social Security benefits. The officers said Harold repaid them for their expenses.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Yeah that's nice. But most cops are good. A bunch of people just chose to believe they're bad for doing their job. Yeah, there's a few bad ones out there just like any other field, but I know many cops that are just as kind hearted as these guys.

United States
    Thats a great story,we never really hear any good storys about the police.

Chasing Prey

Canada
    so why does it have to be that "theres no good cops left" ? my grand father(who's a retired LAPD sheriff rescued a toddler from some kind of robbery/holdup attempt in the late 60's and no one speaks of it today.

Christmas Island
    Quote Originally Posted by acealive1 View Post
    so why does it have to be that "theres no good cops left" ? my grand father(who's a retired LAPD sheriff rescued a toddler from some kind of robbery/holdup attempt in the late 60's and no one speaks of it today.
    That's the problem. The rotten apples get all the glory.

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusIncredulous View Post
    That's the problem. The rotten apples get all the glory.
    much like keith dressel in toledo,ohio? research that name and you'll see he was a highly decorated DIRTY cop. he got greased by a 15 year old
    and the city responded by giving his wife a job with the police for life as well as their pension, a settlement, life insurance, FREE college for their kids, and numerous donations in the form of fish fry dinner benefits that totaled well over a million dollars.

Twitching

Undisclosed
    much like keith dressel in toledo,ohio? research that name and you'll see he was a highly decorated DIRTY cop. he got greased by a 15 year old
    I see a lot of stuff about how he was highly decorated and killed by a 15 year old. Any evidence for the claim that he was a dirty cop?
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Publius View Post
    I see a lot of stuff about how he was highly decorated and killed by a 15 year old. Any evidence for the claim that he was a dirty cop?

well when u dont identify yourself to a suspect ever and half the force kinda takes the guy's death in stride, people start to wonder........ nevermind the fact when he got killed most of the city was like "and? he was dirty"

Twitching

Undisclosed
    well when u dont identify yourself to a suspect ever and half the force kinda takes the guy's death in stride, people start to wonder........ nevermind the fact when he got killed most of the city was like "and? he was dirty"
    So it's all based on rumor and word of mouth then? The city has about 300,000 people. Most of them were familiar with the reputation for corruption of this individual detective?
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Publius View Post
    So it's all based on rumor and word of mouth then? The city has about 300,000 people. Most of them were familiar with the reputation for corruption of this individual detective?
    um.ok let me break it down. i have two family members and numerous friends on the force here, they KNOW he was dirty

Undisclosed
    That's because every cop in L.A. is racist. *L*

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by slickwilly13 View Post
    That's because every cop in L.A. is racist. *L*

crazy,man

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Very cool story. Most of the time when you hear about coppers they are tasering someone to death.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

United States
    I have friends on LAPD and LASD, and they are great people. I would say that most cops are on the job because they truly care about making the world a better place.
    Most of my cop friends were quite pissed off when the whole Rampart/CRASH scandal broke because they realized that this would make everyone think that all cops were dirty. Surely, there are those few who break rules and are no better than street thugs and unfortunately it is those idiots who get the major press. The perception that most cops are dirty, however, is incorrect.

Like my homeboy Ace points out, his relative was a truly heroic cop but received no press about it.
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    heartwarming stuff
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.