Thread: 360 update causing RROD?

Super Moderator

UK

360 update causing RROD?

http://www.actiontrip.com/rei/commen...ml?id=020609_5

Luckily I'm not on XBL, so I don't update my 360 unless a game requires it (in which case, it does it from the disc).

Not sure if it's the case or not, but thought I'd post it to give folks a heads-up in case they hadn't heard the chit-chat online.

Canada
    thanks, you've made me scared to turn my box on.

Undisclosed
    i only got my x-box at xmas so should i not bother with any updates at all

Undisclosed
    I updated mine the other day. No problems here. I do not know what the update even did.

capncnut
    Yup, updated mine too. No probs my end.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    never heard of this problem, mine updated fine.

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Total bullshit. People always cry about different things causing their system to RROD. Their systems were bound to fail and just happened to do so at a certain time. Just about every single game and update has at least one page/thread dedicated to "this game causes RROD!".

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    Total bullshit. People always cry about different things causing their system to RROD. Their systems were bound to fail and just happened to do so at a certain time. Just about every single game and update has at least one page/thread dedicated to "this game causes RROD!".
    That's what I was thinking. Sounds more like a coincidence than a problem. I bet these people are bitching because they didn't get the warranty or something.

Wait....is that free warranty still in affect for every 360 owner?

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    That's what I was thinking. Sounds more like a coincidence than a problem. I bet these people are bitching because they didn't get the warranty or something.

Wait....is that free warranty still in affect for every 360 owner?
    Yes, it is. I still have 1 1/2 of a year left on mine. I hope it RRoD before it expires or I will have to open it up and fix it myself.

Super Moderator

UK
    Figured I'd just post this article just in case, I myself know fudge all about it - like I said I don't have XBL - but aye, probably a coincidence issue.

Although it's undeniable that MS screwed the pooch and the pussy at the same time over the 360 in terms of reliability. On every other level it's pwn-central (well, maybe not the fifty-quid-subscription every year to XBL if you're so inclined ... the PS3 has that shit for free, doesn't it?)

Anyway, before MS had to dish out a billion-and-a-bit on that RROD thing, I paid up for an additional two years on my overall warranty, because with hearing about the horror stories I figured it'd be prudent ... just in case, you know.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by fartpants View Post
    i only got my x-box at xmas so should i not bother with any updates at all
    If it were only that simple. If you don't update they won't let you on live.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    (well, maybe not the fifty-quid-subscription every year to XBL if you're so inclined ... the PS3 has that shit for free, doesn't it?)
    Yes, the PS3 network is free. However, I hear that it's pretty bad and rough finding people to actually play games with.

I don't think $50 a year for XBOX Live is really that bad at all. That's less than $5 a month.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    mike ive got a ps3, psn aint bad, its just.... it looks nice, but its really fiddly. id say the xbox live service is a one step thing, the psn is like 3 or 4, its not better or worse, just cumbersome.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Although it's undeniable that MS screwed the pooch and the pussy at the same time over the 360 in terms of reliability. On every other level it's pwn-central (well, maybe not the fifty-quid-subscription every year to XBL if you're so inclined ... the PS3 has that shit for free, doesn't it?)
    The Playstation Network is free, but compared to the Xbox Live Service it is garbage. Basically Sony has the game companies come up with their own online structure which they work into the PSN where as Xbox has a unified system set up and the game companies are able to use that unified architecture to make their game work properly.

The $50 a year spent on the XBL service is well worth it considering it's ease of use, the fact that you do not need a different user name on every game (you just use your xbox live profile name), you do not need to hunt down your friends in each game individually (since the XBL profile names are used), you can instantly jump online to play, most games will tell you when your friends are playing when they are started and many other features.

The Playstation Network can not compare.
    Check out my dvd collection @ http://jonas190.dvdaf.com/owned

My Gamertag is reculse189

Join me on Kongregate, its a cool game site
    http://www.kongregate.com?referrer=Jonas190

Super Moderator

UK
    Fair play.

I wasn't really comparing the services (I've not used either), just purely on cost alone.

It's the least you'd expect though, from paying fifty quid a year, you'd expect a good service...likewise you could say "what can you expect from something free"?

Common sense is free, how about ploughing some of that into the PSN then? Sounds like the PSN could use some of it.

The only downside to not having XBL (or a HDD actually) is that I won't be able to play The Lost DLC for GTA IV.