Thread: Sam Harris sums up my atheistic stand point perfectly

Administrator

England

Sam Harris sums up my atheistic stand point perfectly

I stumbled across this video which perfectly sums up the conclusions I've also come to over tens of years...

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Hell is a separation from god - who is omnipresent.
    You will be judged for wrong doing - by a omnipotent being.
    The devil hides - from a omniscient being.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Rottedfreak View Post
    Hell is a separation from god - who is omnipresent.
    You will be judged for wrong doing - by a omnipotent being.
    The devil hides - from a omniscient being.
    1) Where's any evidence for this?
    2) What makes this view right, when so many other religions promote alternatives?
    3) If I die aged 1yr old, do I get a free pass to heaven? Who dictates which lucky individuals get such a golden ticket?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Twitching

Undisclosed
    You do realize I posted a gag post? If something like the god of the bible existed I would certainly be surprised.

My own personal experience with death is that everything stopped, no heaven, no hell, no darkness, no light, no angels, I was revived and everything started again, time passed without me. I am super skeptical of NDE accounts because they don't stack up but do believe there are mysteries and supernatural things in this world.
    Last edited by Rottedfreak; 13-Jun-2014 at 11:19 PM. Reason: Had to.

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I stumbled across this video which perfectly sums up the conclusions I've also come to over tens of years...

The entire debate is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqaHXKLRKzg
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....