Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: going to buy a wii

United States

going to buy a wii

well, the gaming industry has officially burned me out. wallet-raping DLC, then the GOTY editions later with all DLC for free, pre-order bonuses exclusive to certain stores only, and a total lack of innovation in recent years for games has left me totally jaded and disgusted. aside from dead rising 2, there's not a single game on the horizon i really care to play.

however, i have really been jonesing to have fun with gaming lately, something that seems to be lost in all the consumer-raping that goes on these days. i've been considering buying a retro-twin system and some old-school NES and SNES games, but have decided it would be simpler to just buy a wii.

so, i'm planning on picking one up, along with the new super mario bros, then downloading the following games:

castlevania's 1,2,3
    super castlevania 4
    castlevania: rondo of blood
    river city ransom
    zombies ate my neighbors
    ocarina of time
    a link to the past

pretty pumped about this. all these games are the ones i grew up loving, and i really look forward to getting familiar with all those old memories and 8 & 16 bit sprites and catchytunes...any recommendations for other great virtual console games or decent wii games?
    Last edited by ProfessorChaos; 17-Aug-2010 at 01:21 AM.

United States
    I don't have many wii games and I don't play it much, but the wii sports game that the system comes with is actually really fun. Also, House of the Dead: Overkill is neat.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by fulci fan View Post
    I don't have many wii games and I don't play it much, but the wii sports game that the system comes with is actually really fun.
    I've spent many hours with Wii Sports and Sports Resort. Fun stuff. Ever tried the hundred pin bowling? There's always two pins left!

The two mario galaxy games are must haves, as well. Still haven't played the newer side-scrolling Mario brothers, but i'm definitely interested.

They're bringing back the old version of mario, so now where is my Duck Hunt?!?

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    well, the gaming industry has officially burned me out. wallet-raping DLC, then the GOTY editions later with all DLC for free, pre-order bonuses exclusive to certain stores only, and a total lack of innovation in recent years for games has left me totally jaded and disgusted. aside from dead rising 2, there's not a single game on the horizon i really care to play.

however, i have really been jonesing to have fun with gaming lately, something that seems to be lost in all the consumer-raping that goes on these days. i've been considering buying a retro-twin system and some old-school NES and SNES games, but have decided it would be simpler to just buy a wii.

so, i'm planning on picking one up, along with the new super mario bros, then downloading the following games:

castlevania's 1,2,3
    super castlevania 4
    castlevania: rondo of blood
    river city ransom
    zombies ate my neighbors
    ocarina of time
    a link to the past

pretty pumped about this. all these games are the ones i grew up loving, and i really look forward to getting familiar with all those old memories and 8 & 16 bit sprites and catchytunes...any recommendations for other great virtual console games or decent wii games?
    New super mario bros. is a can't miss. Not only is it old school gameplay along the lines of super mario 3 but up to 4 people can play co-op simultaneously so it gets wild and crazy! Lots of fun.

I also have Resident evil:the Darkside Chronicles. If your a fan of the old school games it's a fun rail shooter that fleshes out the story a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I've spent many hours with Wii Sports and Sports Resort. Fun stuff. Ever tried the hundred pin bowling? There's always two pins left!

The two mario galaxy games are must haves, as well. Still haven't played the newer side-scrolling Mario brothers, but i'm definitely interested.

They're bringing back the old version of mario, so now where is my Duck Hunt?!?

All of those games are readily available via the virtual console (wii store) Bass.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    having a good time with the wii so far, mainly for the new super mario bros game and the virtual console. i've only played a bit of wii sports and RE: umbrella chronicles, they were okay. gonna go back and finish the RE game, but it makes me long for the good old days of scary intense RE games not a gimmicky rail-shooter. still kinda neat, but meh overall. is the new one the same thing, darth?

just read this on kotaku, not sure if we're getting it in the states, but anyone else remember super mario all-stars? i think coin's mentioned it once, but it was a super-nes game with all 3 SMB NES games plus the japanese import of "lost levels". if we do see a release here in the US, i'll likely pick this one up too.

http://kotaku.com/5628335/wii-gettin...ario-all+stars
    Last edited by ProfessorChaos; 02-Sep-2010 at 04:45 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    having a good time with the wii so far, mainly for the new super mario bros game and the virtual console. i've only played a bit of wii sports and RE: umbrella chronicles, they were okay. gonna go back and finish the RE game, but it makes me long for the good old days of scary intense RE games not a gimmicky rail-shooter. still kinda neat, but meh overall. is the new one the same thing, darth?

just read this on kotaku, not sure if we're getting it in the states, but anyone else remember super mario all-stars? i think coin's mentioned it once, but it was a super-nes game with all 3 SMB NES games plus the japanese import of "lost levels". if we do see a release here in the US, i'll likely pick this one up too.

http://kotaku.com/5628335/wii-gettin...ario-all+stars
    Yes, the darkside chronicles is exactly the same gameplay wise. But I love anything RE so...

They give alot of backstory as well and allow you to revisit old locales in current gen graphics which is awesome. Truthfully I thought darkside chronicles was better.

I thought you'd have fun with the New SMB. That game is a hoot, particularly when you're playing with some other people simultaneously on the same screen.

Super mario Galaxy is also an awesome game. It got a perfect score from almost every game review site so it can't suck all that bad right?

If you wanna go a little retro, The Legend of Zelda: Twighlight Princess is also worth your time, imo.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    If you wanna go a little retro, The Legend of Zelda: Twighlight Princess is also worth your time, imo.
    The last two Zelda games I played were Ocarina of Time(64) and Windmaker(or something like that - GC). Loved, loved, LOVED Ocarina of Time, but hated Wind. Which is this new one closer to?

Undisclosed
    HotD: Overkill is the best and funniest of the series. Well worth the money for reply value and laughs. "what's up, motherfucker?"

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    The last two Zelda games I played were Ocarina of Time(64) and Windmaker(or something like that - GC). Loved, loved, LOVED Ocarina of Time, but hated Wind. Which is this new one closer to?
    I absolutely love both of those games.

That being said wind waker is a cell shaded game with a cartonish link and unusual powers.

I would say twighlight princess is a throwback to the old style. It's got great gameplay mechanics and characters. One of the best games I've ever played.

You actually get to fight on horseback!!

I own it for the gamecube (love that system by the way) so i haven't had the wii experience but you can't go wrong with that game.

United States
    yeah, i've got twilight princess on my shelf, borrowed it from a friend. will get around to it sometime sooner or later. might be the perfect time-filler till DR2 hits later this month.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Let us know what you think. I've been looking to get some new games for the wii. I just can't force myself to buy a Zelda game after the last one I played. I want something more in line with the originals or Ocarina of Time.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Let us know what you think. I've been looking to get some new games for the wii. I just can't force myself to buy a Zelda game after the last one I played. I want something more in line with the originals or Ocarina of Time.
    I garantee you'll like it bass. It's a more mature game than windwaker.

Go on gamespot and check out the reviews.

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    I've played some Zelda games, and frankly... Twilight Princess is the best ever (imo). I've also fallen in love with Wii Sports Resort. I've gotten a strike in 100-pin... not to brag, just so you know it's possible. Freak occurrence, really. I love the sword-fighting as well.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by blind2d View Post
    I've also fallen in love with Wii Sports Resort. I've gotten a strike in 100-pin... not to brag, just so you know it's possible. Freak occurrence, really. I love the sword-fighting as well.
    Yeah....it's possible. I've got some strikes, as well. But 9 times ouf 10....if there are ANY pins left....there's just two. You're left yelling at the tv like "are you f*cking serious?!?!?"

United States
    I'm a Wii Sports/Sports Resort junkie myself. I loooove me some Wii sports - the bowling is by far my favorite.

If you have the Wii Fit balance board, the WeSki is an EXCELLENT title if you like snow skiing.