Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NY Becomes Sixth State To Approve Same-sex Marriage

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

NY Becomes Sixth State To Approve Same-sex Marriage

http://www.cnn.com/2011/POLITICS/06/...html?hpt=hp_t1

Awesome. Only 44 states to go.

Still waiting for all of my homophobic acquaintances to post hateful things on Facebook about this; I'm sure some of the meatheads from high school will call me a "fag" for approving of it.

United States
    Hey, legal marriage by the state is just a piece of paper with no merit anyway except tax purposes, so why not?

I have no problem with state sanctioned marriage as long as the state keeps their hands out of the church completely on this matter. "The separation of church and state" is intended to protect religious institutions from the infringement of the state.

Call me "homophobe" or whatever you want with not being as accepting of a mockery of marriage as you, but I just find it laughable. I don't have anything in the world against whatever people do in their bedroom but I think it should be kept there and private. I'll be damned before I ever refer to two women as "wives" or two men as "husbands".

j.p.
    Last edited by JDFP; 25-Jun-2011 at 02:38 PM. Reason: aye
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by JDFP View Post
    Hey, legal marriage by the state is just a piece of paper with no merit anyway except tax purposes, so why not?
    Heck, why deny that right to anyone - just tax everyone at "married" rates. :P
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria

UK
    I'll be damned before I ever refer to two women as "wives" or two men as "husbands".
    You just have...

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    shame it took so long to get it through though. Though no doubt right wing homophobes will caterwaul that it "violates the sanctity of marriage", because as everyone knows, in a perfect right wing society two same sex people who want to stand before whatever they believe in to make a commitment is sick, but a 'straight' couple marrying for benefit fraud, tax evasion or getting around immigration laws is just dandy as long as they dont share the same number of chromosomes

United States
    Everyone should have the same right to be as equally miserable under the law.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    It amazes me that there are still 44 states to go. What must the gay communities of these remaining 44 states feel like?
    Outlawed like criminals?
    It's pretty disgusting that 80% of America still needs to catch up, that 80% of the ruling bodies still feel that addressing this issue would harm their re-election capacity, or whatever. It really saddens me.
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Though no doubt right wing homophobes will caterwaul that it "violates the sanctity of marriage", because as everyone knows, in a perfect right wing society two same sex people who want to stand before whatever they believe in to make a commitment is sick, but a 'straight' couple marrying for benefit fraud, tax evasion or getting around immigration laws is just dandy as long as they dont share the same number of chromosomes
    Which conservatives, exactly, advocate repealing the laws against marriage fraud to evade taxes or obtain immigration status or welfare benefits? I would like to know who it is that thinks those actions are just dandy, because that certainly seems hypocritical.
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed

I have no problem with state sanctioned marriage as long as the state keeps their hands out of the church completely on this matter. "The separation of church and state" is intended to protect religious institutions from the infringement of the state.

Call me "homophobe" or whatever you want with not being as accepting of a mockery of marriage as you, but I just find it laughable. I don't have anything in the world against whatever people do in their bedroom but I think it should be kept there and private. I'll be damned before I ever refer to two women as "wives" or two men as "husbands".

j.p.

I'll call you a homophobe for referring to gay rights as a "mockery".

-- -------- Post added at 08:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:00 PM ----------

I don't have anything in the world against whatever people do in their bedroom but I think it should be kept there and private.
    j.p.
    God damnit this has angered me SO much. I'm trying to find reasons why you'd say this. This is the a-typical response from a homophobe. "I don't care what they do just do it in private" - is the usual response from someone who'd have no problems with a straight couple doing the same things in public such as showing affection. That makes it a discriminatory belief. By the same theory you should be condemning straight couples who get married to private ceremonies? I'm confused by this.

What makes this such a "mockery" in your eyes J.p?
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    as long as they dont share the same number of chromosomes
    Um... Men and women have the same number of chromosomes, it's just the last two (of the 23) are XX for women and XY for men. Jurassic Park, DEVO, and high school Bio taught me that.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by blind2d View Post
    Um... Men and women have the same number of chromosomes, it's just the last two (of the 23) are XX for women and XY for men. Jurassic Park, DEVO, and high school Bio taught me that.

i was making a sarcastic joke about stupid people who are misinformed. thats the joke.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    i was making a sarcastic joke about stupid people who are misinformed. thats the joke.
    Good save....almost!

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

j.p.
    I'm with Symphonic on this one. You've also confused me, though. You say you have no problem with same-sex marriage, but then you go on to say you aren't accepting of it because it's a mockery (by your religion's standards).

This whole thing reminds me of the end of segregation. Back then, a large percent of the population was livid over blacks integrating with whites, however now it's just a miniscule percentage that feel this way. I bet 40-50 years from now when [hopefully] every state allows same-sex marriage, people will look back on these times and think the large population opposing this were being feeble (for lack of a better term).

United States
    Clarification:

I have no issue with same-sex marriage mandated by the state for legal status. On a secular level I don't have a problem with it at all. By state standard it's a piece of paper for taxation purpose (and also for medical/insurances purposes as well -- no problem from me in insuring partners no matter the sex are afforded the same insurance rights and medical rights as well) - so no issue with me there at all.

It's only when the state begins to regulate that religious institutions must recognize same-sex marriage or have it shoved it upon them that I have a major issue with it. I just don't believe that state marriage and the Sacrament of Holy Matrimony are the same thing, they aren't. So, I have no qualms with the state-approved legal status of homosexual marriage at all, only the sacramental aspect of it when I don't recognize as being a legitimate marriage as in Holy Matrimony.

I'm not a flaming Neo-Conservative and generally despise interference of religious institutions on civil matters being that I'm an old fashioned paleo-conservative. Religion needs to butt out of civil matters. So, I say bring on legalized state approved "marriages". The church should stay out of it. Likewise, the government needs to get the hell out of religious matters completely and should have no jurisdiction or hand in the matter of sacramental and liturgical issues.

j.p.
    Last edited by JDFP; 26-Jun-2011 at 12:33 AM. Reason: aye
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

United States
    What a joke...