Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Prometheus (Alien Prequel)

Undisclosed
    Couldn't be hyped more.
    I do agree with those that say this trailer perhaps shows a little too much? The teaser left you guessing more.
    This also pretty much confirms the 'Von Daniken' nonsense inspiration. (the gods were aliens and such).
    That shit works great in a scifi horror, but gets on my nerves when people actually start taking it seriously.

Looking forward to finding out just how those alien eggs end up in the space jockey's ship?

Administrator

England
    Of course, the shame is...

Surely everyone has to die? Else the original Alien film story line would be wrong? So they probably have to commit suicide to stop 'the baddies'...

-- -------- Post added at 03:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:44 AM ----------

UK trailer...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9jRaa4Wkbk

Hmmm... Not sure if the premise feels right... It implies knowledge of this 'special' location in space, which of course was never mentioned in the films that followed!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Of course, the shame is...

Surely everyone has to die? Else the original Alien film story line would be wrong? So they probably have to commit suicide to stop 'the baddies'...
    Not necessarily. There could easily be survivors that return to Weyland Corporation and report on what happens. Then of course Weyland later sends The Nostromo to the planet. Also, Ridley Scott has said before that he could, and would like to do a sequel to Prometheus. I don't think this film will tie as directly into Alien as we like to think it will. Not so much as the final shot showing the Nostromo landing on the planet or anything...
    Last edited by bassman; 19-Mar-2012 at 03:59 PM. Reason: .

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Not necessarily. There could easily be survivors that return to Weyland Corporation and report on what happens. Then of course Weyland later sends The Nostromo to the planet.
    Yeh... OK... I can buy that!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Chasing Prey

Canada
    just by that trailer.....fassbender looks to be an android....and at least 3 of the crew look to be turned into hosts.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by acealive1 View Post
    ....fassbender looks to be an android.....
    That's no secret. Already been stated in interviews.

Chasing Prey

Canada
    That's no secret. Already been stated in interviews.

im just going by what i see, i havent read one shred of print on the movie besides "ridley scott is making an aliens prequel". the last time i read up on a movie being made, the entire fuckin premise in the trailer was scrapped without telling the masses (sahara)

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    The scenery in the opening shots of that trailer is from the Storr/Quiraing area of Skye in Scotland, I have been there a couple of times and it is a truly stunning, otherworldly landscape.

Some snaps I took:

Believe it or not, that is a natural formation in the background.

Some of the formations look a little bit like what you'd expect to see on LV-426:

Chasing Prey

Canada
    WOWZA! its like the grand canyon with grass

England
    Not necessarily. There could easily be survivors that return to Weyland Corporation and report on what happens. Then of course Weyland later sends The Nostromo to the planet. Also, Ridley Scott has said before that he could, and would like to do a sequel to Prometheus. I don't think this film will tie as directly into Alien as we like to think it will. Not so much as the final shot showing the Nostromo landing on the planet or anything...

I agree that WY would cover up any previous disaster or shenanigans and maybe send the crew of the Nostromo to have a look many years later when the beacon is detected (by design or via rediscovering some hidden/lost files) not sure of the time span between this new movie and the original Alien.

Oh, and have you folks noticed that this and Alien seem to take place on different planets...

Prometheus - LV223

Alien - LV246
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

England
    Holy shit Kraken I need to take myself off on a hike round there, looks stunning!

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    Holy shit Kraken I need to take myself off on a hike round there, looks stunning!
    Yeah, the whole island is out of this world. Grab a few mates, hire yourselves a cottage for a week (you can do it pretty cheaply), and just go exploring. The place makes Skyrim look like the Home Counties.

As for Prometheus, I was reading a vague synopsis in Empire the other day, and I gotta say, as excited as it made me,

I was struck by the story parallels to, of all things, the first Alien Versus Predator movie:

AVP: Archaeologists discover, through ancient human artifacts, that mankind was visited by extraterrestrial beings who were revered as gods.

Prometheus: Archaeologists discover, through ancient human artifacts, that mankind was visited by extraterrestrial beings who were revered as gods.

AVP: Charles Bishop Weyland, CEO of the Weyland Corporation, sponsors an expedition to Antarctica to investigate remnants of this alien civilisation.

Prometheus: Peter Weyland, CEO of the Weyland Corporation, sponsors an expedition to LV223 to investigate remnants of this alien civilisation.

AVP: The expedition discovers a massive alien pyramid in the ice.

Prometheus: The expedition discovers a massive alien pyramid on the planet...

Just as long as it doesn't feature a karate archaeologist woman running slo-mo into battle alongside a tooled-up Space Jockey, I'll still be there.

Administrator

England
    Going to be interesting to see if he can match Lance Henriksen's performance in Aliens!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOOJl5lWNfM
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I'm just being picky, but "30 years in the making"? C'mon. Scott has always said he was interested in the back story of the space jockey and was surprised it was never explored in sequels, but he's only been working on the thing for three or four years, at best....