Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Battlefield 1943: Pacific announced for XBLA/PSN

United States

Battlefield 1943: Pacific announced for XBLA/PSN

The first trailer for Battlefield 1943 can be found here (looks amazing):
    http://www.gamersyde.com/stream_9992_en.html

The game is digital download only, so there will be no retail version. It's basically 3 of the best maps from BF1942 re-done in the Frostbite engine (Guadalcanal, Iwo Jima and Wake Island). Hopefully it will be under $20.

Also, first Battlefield: Bad Company 2 screen:

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Very pretty. Wonder if there'll ever be a PC version.

BF: Vietnam remains my favourite Battefield game to this day.

United States
    Ah, I just found that there will indeed be a PC version. Good news all around!

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Awesome! I used to play 1943 back in high school. Can't wait for this!

Undisclosed
    lets hope it plays as well as it looks

Super Moderator

UK
    Mike - you mean BF1942.

BF:BC was good fun, hopefully BF:BC2 will continue the trend - but just make it better over all - and truly make the easy mode easy, so you can just have a silly amount of fun. Even in easy mode the enemy have an amazing ability to hone in on you immediately...plus attacking choppers are just relentless.

When I play easy mode, I want it to be an utter cake walk piss easy party.

Hopefully there'll be lots of weather, not just snow, but massive thunder and rain storms with lightening going nuts in the background and so on.

Although the first half or so of BF:BC was better than the last third, I have to say.

BF: Vietnam is also my favourite BF game, it's a classic that is - if only there were more FPS games set in Vietnam - when-oh-when will Infinity Ward give us a Vietnam-set COD game?

I also remember playing BF1942 a few years back, even if some of the weapons were simply naff...Battlefield 2 on the other hand, felt quite fiddly and the aiming too small in scope - like you had to hit a tiny target from not even that far away quite often - at least that's how I felt about it.

BF:BC redressed the shooting part a bit more, but more work needs doing to make it just a slab of fun in a bun.

BF:Vietnam is still the Battlefield game though, it has to be said.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 08-Feb-2009 at 12:13 PM.

United States
    There are only 3 classes now.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by 3pidemiC View Post
    There are only 3 classes now.
    True, but it's not a full-fledged sequel. That's what Bad Company 2 is for.

1942 Pacific should be worth it for the aerial combat alone, unless they really screw it up somehow.

United States
    DICE Announces $15 Price for Battlefield 1943

Premium Arcade Title Delivers Endless Hours of Multiplayer Fun, Legendary WWII Battlefield Action and Destruction

STOCKHOLM--(BUSINESS WIRE)--DICE, an Electronic Arts Inc. studio (NASDAQ:ERTS), today announced that Battlefield 1943™ will be available in June for $15 USD in the Xbox LIVE™ Marketplace (1200 MS Points) or the PlayStation®Store. The action-packed arcade title will also be available for PC in September. Battlefield 1943 is an all-new multiplayer game that offers endless hours of 24-player action in popular maps inspired by Battlefield 1942™, now updated with the Frostbite™ engine. The total destructibility afforded by the Frostbite engine ups the ante and leaves players with nowhere to hide.

In Battlefield 1943, intense battles ensue over three classic and tropic locations; Wake Island, Guadalcanal and Iwo Jima. Gamers play as the US Marines or the Imperial Japanese Navy, competing by land, air and sea. Players have the freedom to pick their path in battle - be it as a rifleman crawling through the trenches, a steel fisted tank commander, or a dog fighting pilot that protects the skies.

“Using the same Frostbite engine that we developed for Battlefield: Bad Company, we are able to take players back to WWII and return to the roots of the Battlefield franchise, but with a new twist – destruction,” said Gordon Van Dyke, Producer on Battlefield 1943. “We want to offer gamers the most accessible online shooter experience and the best value found in any premium download title with Battlefield 1943.”

For more information on DICE, please visit www.dice.se or www.ea.com. For more information on Battlefield 1943 please visit: www.battlefield1943.com.

About Electronic Arts

Electronic Arts Inc. (EA), headquartered in Redwood City, California, is the world's leading interactive entertainment software company. Founded in 1982, the Company develops, publishes, and distributes interactive software worldwide for video game systems, personal computers, cellular handsets and the Internet. Electronic Arts markets its products under four brand names: EA SPORTSTM, EATM, EA SPORTS Freestyle TM and POGOTM. In fiscal 2008, EA posted GAAP net revenue of $3.67 billion and had 27 titles that sold more than one million copies. EA's homepage and online game site is www.ea.com. More information about EA's products and full text of press releases can be found on the Internet at http://info.ea.com.

EA, EA SPORTS, EA SPORTS Freestyle and POGO are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries. Battlefield 1943, Battlefield 1942 and Frostbite are trademarks or registered trademarks of EA Digital Illusions CE AB.
    Console versions release in June, PC in September.

England
    Ahhh wake island....ive fought many a hard battle there on battlefield 2!looking forward to having a crack at this one!as long as it doesnt get full of muppets like BF2 did...

Super Moderator

United States
    That Bad Company 2 screen is a beaut!

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    BF:BC was a let down for me, the single player was totally embarassing - and the hard/normal/easy achievements are unlinked so you do it on Hard, which I did, and you have to go through again for easy and normal achievements, and it wasn't that much fun or that challenging on hard anyway.

the multiplayer was good, save for lack of game modes, and cheaters. Once the cheating ironed out, it was fairly fun, then the community died off and no one plays it now. bah.

this 1942 thing looks kinda fun for 20 quid but unless they magically make it 6 maps instead of three, i don't want to know.
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    Ahhh wake island....ive fought many a hard battle there on battlefield 2!looking forward to having a crack at this one!as long as it doesnt get full of muppets like BF2 did...
    Ah! I thought that was my favorite map from BF2!!! I spent countless hours having a blast every time I played that map.

Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicX View Post
    this 1942 thing looks kinda fun for 20 quid but unless they magically make it 6 maps instead of three, i don't want to know.
    Yeah I dunno how I feel about paying $15 for 3 maps...

United States
    July 9th for console versions, plus a new map unlocked when the community reaches 43,000,000 kills:

Ship out for battle today with Battlefield 1943™
    Unlock a 4th Pacific location - Coral Sea - with Air Superiority Game Mode once you've collectively reached 43 million kills in the first three maps. Be there when the game hits the PlayStation® Network and Xbox LIVE® Arcade on July 9th and begin the quest to reach the community goal! Click here to learn more about this cool community challenge.

United States
    Guadalcanal trailer, looking great:

EDGE gave it a 9/10 in this month's issue, here are their closing comments:

Three levels provide for the conquest gametype familiar to the series, while another, Coral Sea, is pure air combat. Variety has always been Battlefield's defining feature, and drawing out a single facet of play will not be to everyone's taste - but its place on the matchmaking rota is optional. Even with only four levels, the game is a more then generous serving: for less then a quarter of Bad Company's release price, this is the choice cut of its better half - multiplayer. And this is a yet more pacy, extravagant affair, tapping directly into the whims of the player who just wants to cover a plane in det-packs and plough into an aircraft carrier. Strategy is subordinate to a sense of fun - and you wonder if that's what the series needed all along. A perfectly sized, expertly crafted romp. Pacific gives other download games their marching orders.