Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woman loses assisted suicide case

capncnut

Woman loses assisted suicide case

Not exactly a cheery subject, I know.

Quote Originally Posted by BBC News

Debbie Purdy, 45, from Bradford, is considering going to a Swiss clinic to end her life, but fears her husband may be charged on his return to the UK.

Ms Purdy was diagnosed with primary progressive MS in March 1995. She can no longer walk and is losing strength in her upper body.

She has suggested that at some point she may travel to Switzerland to take a lethal dose of barbiturates prescribed by doctors at Dignitas.

Ms Purdy wants her husband at her side but fears he may be prosecuted on his return to Britain where aiding or abetting a suicide is a crime punishable by up to 14 years imprisonment...

...During the hearing earlier this month, she argued the lack of clarification was a breach of her human rights but two High Court judges have ruled that her human rights had not been infringed and existing guidelines were adequate.
    Click for full article.

I'm not sure how I feel about this one at all but if she goes through with this, should her husband be prosecuted?

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Definetly not. Every adult human, especially at 45 years of age, is capable of making their own choice. Besides, the fact that you can be charged with assissting suicide, implies that suicide is illegal. Which is just stupid. It's my body, I'll do what I want.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by capncnut View Post
    Not exactly a cheery subject, I know.

Click for full article.

I'm not sure how I feel about this one at all but if she goes through with this, should her husband be prosecuted?
    By the letter of the law he should be, but in reality, I believe this has not happened in previous cases?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    By the letter of the law he should be, but in reality, I believe this has not happened in previous cases?
    I believe there's been a number of people who haven't been prosecuted for assisting a loved one's suicide but I think the woman would like a clear conscience (even though it's not going to matter to her once she is dead). But while most cases are generally cleared, this man's imprisonment is still a possibility.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    He'll be brought in by the law. I don't think there's much of a way they can fight that.

Personally, I say let them do it. It's her choice and their life together.

United Kingdom
    Of course not! I mean, the law should be changed so that he isn't. Suicide itself isn't illegal and all he would be doing is the decent thing of holding her hand.
    La freak, c'est chic!

.:Twitter:.:Facebook:.:Blogspot:.

United States
    No. Hes not really assisting either.

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    No. Hes not really assisting either.
    Well, yeah he is. Who else is gonna push the poor woman's wheelchair to Switzerland?

Undisclosed
    Brake out the Soylent Green!

I am a believer in euthanasia. If an adult wishes to end there existence then they should not be stopped or prosecuted for doing so.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Well, yeah he is. Who else is gonna push the poor woman's wheelchair to Switzerland?
    Well, what if her last wish was to see Switserland, and while she was there she decided to get euthanized?

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Chic Freak View Post
    Of course not! I mean, the law should be changed so that he isn't. Suicide itself isn't illegal and all he would be doing is the decent thing of holding her hand.
    In the U.S. suicide is illegal which always makes me laugh because how the hell are you supposed to enforce that? Imo, there is no better example of gov't overeach than this issue. If we are all free men/women and even if we were healthy and in 100% perfect physical shape shouldn't it be our decision?

I think the charging someone else withit is a deterent to stop something that they don't like because there's really no other way to stop someone from doing it if they really wanted to. You might think twice if you knew that the loved one who "assisted" you would go to jail for god only know how many years. Pathetic.

But think about it. The very name, "assisted suicide" means that you aided someone in killing themselves. But the fact remains that they killed THEMSELVES. So if I gave you a gun and you decided to blow your head off am I responsible? Or, if a doctor wrote you a script for vicodin and you decided to down the whole bottle should they go to jail? So why is it that if you help someone obtain the means to kill themselves that you go down as well?

Makes me think twice about that kitchen knife set i was going to get my mother in-law for x-mas....On second thought.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Chic Freak View Post
    Damn straight Chic.

I think that if someone's life is a misery because of an illness or what have you, then if they want to end it all - rather than limping on in agony, letting their loved ones watch them suffer as a mere shadow of their former selves - then I say let it happen.

At a time when the victims are losing all control over their bodies, you should at least provide them the control to end it all if they so wish - if they don't, fair play to them ... if they do, fair play to them also - and it can happen with the family around to give them a loving send-off.

What's wrong with that?

I'm pro-choice on basically everything, I don't believe in stopping other people choosing just because of your religious beliefs, or hang-ups, or ways of thinking - such a way of thinking just strikes me as ridiculous, especially in a world where opinion is so varied and far-reaching. Also - it's a per-person choice, not some state sanctioned Logan's Run rip-off for crying out loud.

England
    I think people should be allowed the choice,as long as its properly regulated!i felt angry when that rugby playing lad went to dignitas to die the other week,& i read loads of letters in the papers from people saying it was wrong that he committed suicide & he should have had councilling & medication instead.Sorry but he'd gone from a physically fit outgoing lad to not being able to move anymore than his face,if he didnt want to live like that then why should he?if i ended up crippled like that then no amount of councilling & happy pills would take away the fact that my body was f**ked & i could never again do anything other than roll my eyes about while being incontinent & isolated,i certainly wouldnt want to spend the next 50 years like that!i live a very active life,outdoor sports,exercise,a fairly physical job,clubbing every weekend,walks in the country etc,if all that was taken from me i'd want to die too & would be very angry with anyone who tried to stop me going through with it!

United States
    If she wants to kill herself,she should be allowed to.It's stupid that her husband might get arrested for helping her.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    I think people should be allowed the choice,as long as its properly regulated!i felt angry when that rugby playing lad went to dignitas to die the other week,& i read loads of letters in the papers from people saying it was wrong that he committed suicide & he should have had councilling & medication instead.Sorry but he'd gone from a physically fit outgoing lad to not being able to move anymore than his face,if he didnt want to live like that then why should he?if i ended up crippled like that then no amount of councilling & happy pills would take away the fact that my body was f**ked & i could never again do anything other than roll my eyes about while being incontinent & isolated,i certainly wouldnt want to spend the next 50 years like that!i live a very active life,outdoor sports,exercise,a fairly physical job,clubbing every weekend,walks in the country etc,if all that was taken from me i'd want to die too & would be very angry with anyone who tried to stop me going through with it!
    Aye I felt the same way - if he wants to end it all, especially when so much he held dear in life has been taken away, then I say let him.

It does need to be regulated, in that it needs to be done in a safe environment, with medical supervision/advice/regulation.

It should not be up to the government to decide whether one-in-a-few-million chooses to live or die, I wouldn't wish a lifetime of suffering on someone.

And having the option there doesn't mean that those who want to carry on living can't do so - if they want to, and they find happiness despite adversity, then good on them - but not everyone has that strength of resolve, and should be allowed to choose an end of dignity if they wish.

I seriously doubt I'd wanna live if I was crippled to such an extent either, especially something like brain damage.