Thread: More Red Dwarf?

Administrator

England

More Red Dwarf?

As long as it was better than the last attempt! It was OK, but not as good as it could and should have been!

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/48169
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    I liked Back to Earth it had a good atmosphere and a compellingly postmodern yet old-school story, but I think the thing that really hurt it in the public's eyes was (and I never thought I'd say this about any show) the lack of canned laughter. The audience, and more importantly the actors, were so accustomed to it that it had become part of the landscape of the show. Without it, the show had a cold, empty, unfinished air, with the actors leaving awkward silent pauses after funny lines, as if they expected the laughter to be added later. It kind of fucked with the feel of it, you know?
    Last edited by krakenslayer; 21-Jan-2011 at 01:29 PM. Reason: /

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    I liked Back to Earth it had a good atmosphere and a compellingly postmodern yet old-school story, but I think the thing that really hurt it in the public's eyes was (and I never thought I'd say this about any show) the lack of canned laughter. The audience, and more importantly the actors, were so accustomed to it that it had become part of the landscape of the show. Without it, the show had a cold, empty, unfinished air, with the actors leaving awkward silent pauses after funny lines, as if they expected the laughter to be added later. It kind of fucked with the feel of it, you know?
    I thought the early series were shot infront of a live audience?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    In the early series yeah, but presumably in the later episodes when they did a lot more location shooting (as Back to Earth also mostly comprised of) they presumably shot the material then played it back to an audience at a later date.