Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scarface ... a legend raped by a videogame...

Super Moderator

UK

Scarface ... a legend raped by a videogame...

Just downloaded the game - and fudge me sideways I'm so incredibly glad I didn't waste a single penny on it (actually I'm kinda annoyed I did spend a week downloading it ).

For one, the makers didn't bother in any way, shape or form to convert the game into a proper PC game from a console base (I presume) - for example, the menu handles like on a console - especially when entering cheat codes (you can't just type, you have to ... scroll ... on a PC game? Are you kiddin' me?!)

Then - the graphics - hideously out-dated. It's like GTA: Vice City, but 100% less pretty and 50% more basic. It's like a poor man's Vice City, which is ironic considering Vice City is essentially a videogame re-visioning of Scarface (the movie).

The aiming system - again, ported straight over from the console base I'd imagine, utterly utterly utterly utterly utterly useless ... UTTERLY USELESS.

About the only good thing is the soundtrack and the voicing talent. I've never seen such a long list of celeb names on a game before ... yet sadly the game is just awful. It could have been such a good title, but it's totally let down by the worst execution I've seen in a very long time - again, incredibly glad I wasted not a single penny on this heap of crap.

I'll give it a while longer and play it a little bit more, but no doubt this'll get uninstalled quicksmart. Next up - acquiring Battlefield 2142 - easily that'll be better than Scarface, easily ... although apparently it relies less on troop combat (wtf is up with that!?)

To make it clear - DON'T BUY SCARFACE: THE WORLD IS YOURS, IT'S ATROCIOUS!!!

United States
    after I found out it wasnt going to be made for 360 I knew it wasnt going to be the best and after I saw the reviews for it yeah...it blows

Scotland
    I thought it was pretty good.

The aiming system is like you would get on a console, however it makes it easier for the player to target specific body parts. And when you have dozens of them coming at you the blind rage is particuarly useful.

Why is it a problem that the game plays like it would on a console? I found the controls no problem so there is nothing much to complain about there.

Also the graphics, does every game have to be based on it's look rather than it's gameplay nowerdays? Farcry, Doom 3, need I say more.

I wonder how they got so much audio in it! As well as all the music tracks and hundreds of different taunts and sounds, you can have a conversation with most of the people in it. Give it a try, talk to your driver or some girls with the taunt button.

I've completed it and was pleased with the game overall. Made me go and watch the film again and smirk at the characters you kill in it.

Edit: Oh yeah, hence my new sic.
    Last edited by LoSTBoY; 22-Oct-2006 at 08:02 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    just played my brothers and yeah, it gobbles goat balls, but what did you expect from a movie tie-in?

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    just played my brothers and yeah, it gobbles goat balls, but what did you expect from a movie tie-in?

We had the same problem with p2501 hating oblivion because he had only played it for so long.

Give it a chance!

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    no thanks this aint being new at a game genre ive played this kind of game before, gta ,the getaway, ect. the list goes on and after 4 hours of play and getting fairly into it i can honestly say it sucks and doesnt capture the films vibe in any way.

capncnut
    I'm actually amazed that anyone had to play this before realising it was crap. I took one look at a gameplay video the other week and was truly apalled!

United States
    well USUALLY all movies mad into games are crud

Super Moderator

UK
    It feels like a console game not converted to PC gameplay because the movement lags hideously, the mouse movement is likewise terrible and it can take you an epicly long time to do a simple 180 turn. Again, running and movement - all laggy, unrealistic and hard to control - it feels completely wrong. Now, GTA - they got the movement right - and you could even use your mouse in the damn menus, not this stoneage up/down/left/right/enter crap.

The car control - awful. When making deals, you hold down the taunt button - again, LAAAAAAAG so you keep f*cking up the deal.

There are lightyears of difference between FarCry and Scarface, lightyears. In fact, these days, FarCry graphics are old hat, likewise for Doom3. The graphics in Scarface are piss poor even for an old generation console. The faces and people within the game are the best aspect, the cars also don't look too bad. But it's other details like the scenery - awful. There's no detail, everything just feels plain and empty.

Another thing - the engine - the lag is atrocious. My rig can handle Half Life 2 without a problem, even with the new fancy High Dynamic Range lighting it does perfectly well ... yet with Scarface, which has graphics below par for old generation gaming, struggles at almost all times. I even had to downgrade to a rough-edged 800x600 resolution. If the engine wasn't such a lump of turd I'd be on 1280x1024 with no problems.

It seems like they've spent all their time acquiring licenses for the soundtrack and working on Tony Montana, but forgot about the rest of the game and the key aspect - playability. It feels like total ass and looks like ass so it's just ass, such a missed golden opportunity.

The ONLY good thing I've found thus far is the voice talent on board (for the most part, some is awful - like the Miami Vice-a-like cops). The guy doing Pacino's voice does it very well and the conversations you can have with half-dressed chicas is entertaining.

However, overall the game is just so damn bland. I was driving around the city last night on it, stealing cars and attempting to run over people - which rarely happens because the cars are so friggin' slow (even the speedy ones are travelling at the speed the ordinary cars should be going at) - but everything was so bland.

On the GTA games I couldn't wait to explore every inch and get into a new area. With Scarface I had no care to see more, everything was so bland, it was like one, long smeared splodge of beige slowing passing by my puttering along car.

If this is what passed for old generation console games, I'm glad I didn't bother buying an Xbox and stuck with my PC. Games aren't all about the graphics, but there's a difference between not looking the greatest for the time in which it was made - but having a good game (think - Outlaws, or Grim Fandango) - and having a game with a not-too-bad (i.e. far from gripping) story and graphics which are complete and utter anal leakage.

Like I said, even FarCry is old hat these days, Scarface's look is several years too late - it feels lazy in almost all ways. Very disappointing. You're best off watching the movie and then playing GTA: Vice City.

Scotland
    MZ, sounds like you need an upgrade if it's laggin all over the place.

Although the graphics don't show it, it is still a modern game so it requires some decent hardware:

CPU: 1.8 GHz or faster Intel Pentium 4 (2.8 GHz recommended) or equivalent AMD Athlon processor
    RAM: 256 MB or more (512MB or more recommended)
    Disc Drive: 16x or faster DVD drive
    Hard Drive: At least 2.9 GB (5 GB recommended) of uncompressed free space
    Video: DirectX 9.0c compatible video card (ATI Radeon 9200 or greater; NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500 (with 128MB RAM) or greater (ATI Radeon x800 or NVIDIA 6800 or greater recommended)
    Sound: DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card.

As for the cars, you have to work for the decent ones. You can buy some fast as hell cars including a lamborghini and an old style race car.

I ain't going to talk you into playing it, I just want to let you know that I had fun playing it and you should give it a try.

Super Moderator

UK
    I am and have been giving it a try though, and it's still utter penis.

Also, like I said, my rig handles HL2 with the fancy pants High Dynamic Range and exceeds the requirements of "Sh*tface: This Crap Is Yours" (), so I have absolutely no need to upgrade for this game. Much of the lag is down to a piss poor engine, a piss poor set of controls and a piss poor conversion to PC.

Needing an ATI X series to play this game? lol, who in the hell working on the game came up with that?! And X series card is for games like FEAR and Crysis ... not a game that looks a damn sight more basic than GTA: Vice City.

Again, I've been playing it and I'll be off to play a bit more now, but it just isn't improving, it's just utter tosh. It would have been much better to just make a total conversion for San Andreas.

Such a superb movie ... such a turd burgling game ... holy crap am I glad I didn't waste a single penny on it, and they wonder why people download...

Also, are you playing this on a console?

Scotland
    I'm playing it on the PC.

It slows down in parts and selling/buying coke can be annoying at times, but I enjoyed buying exotic cars, boats, henchmen and even pimping your mansion is fun for a bit.

I consider it a throwaway game that isn't going to get game of the year, however it did give me a few laughs and I enjoyed the overall storyline.

Note: Have you came across a cockney dealer yet? Ricky Gervais does the voice.

Super Moderator

UK
    Whelp!

I think this f*cking download has f*cked my computer! Corrupted Registry it appears, or corrupted hive according to Microsoft's site.

*screams blue murder* It's all going arse over tit *weeps*, goddamnit I hate computers!!!

Now I'm gonna have to get it fixed at the shop and pay a buttload, or at least I hope not on the money front. First time a downloaded game has ever screwed me over, needless to say I'll quit with that and just remain downloading tv shows.

If people must play it, don't download it, rent it or play at a mate's house.

Again -

If anyone gloats I'll punch ya lights out because I'm so pissed off right now...at least I had most of that stuff on there backed up...but I bet the computer won't work like it used to and then there's the hassle and the money to get it fixed, oh F*CK YOU SCARFACE GAME!!!

Once more -

Scotland
    ****, now that is a bitch.

If you want to try and fix it yourself, it's worth trying to install windows again. Just set the BIOS to startup from the CDROM, pop in the XP disk, and write over the initial install.

Worth a try if you don't want some stranger going through your hard drive.

Super Moderator

UK
    Well, that computer is one I don't connect to the internet (ironically to avoid such situations).

As my computer was built to order at a local shop, as is the case with many other groups across the land, they use one Windows disc and install it on all the machines they make to cut costs for them and the consumer - so that means I don't have a windows disc, so I couldn't do the thing the computer suggested.

Now, I'm a true believer in sod's law so I'm expecting to get fudged over tomorrow by the same problem, because as soon as I think I've fixed something it's never fixed.

The reason for my sod's law use in this post? Well, after backing up some final files and deleting manually (add/remove programmes refused to do it) the Scarface folder I restarted and it came round to doing a Check Disk (which I've never seen it do before - it's XP Professional you see) and it went through this epic 15 minute check disk, three stages of the process and a bunch of terms I couldn't pretend to understand, including "orphaning" files to another location.

Anyway, after all that I got the thing started up. Then restarted again and it had another check disk to do - this one was similar, but much shorter, and a lot less give-up-inducing as the first, it was more uplifting, re-homing the orphaned files and putting things back where they should be so it would seem.

Started up, it's *touch wood* running smoothly again like it has always done, just a couple of MP3 files that don't seem to work and PowerDVD doesn't like playing my .vob files for some strange reason (but VLC will just fine) ... might have to re-install PowerDVD.

Things, so far, seem to be okay - but like I said, sod's law, I'm just expecting it to fudge me over again tomorrow when a new day clocks over, I'm just expecting it to - because annoying things like that happen to me - they come in threes, I'm just waiting on the third (which I've predicted - let's see if it actually happens). The first is a currently on-going debacle with a credit card (not theft or anything, but a bugger up on their end that they buggered up TWICE in a row ).

*sigh*

It's been a cruddy day, I even had the sh*ts. And it's a Monday! *grumbles*