Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gran Torino - One of Clint's Best - A DjfunkmasterG Review

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Gran Torino - One of Clint's Best - A DjfunkmasterG Review

Just caught this, and Wow, what a powerful film. Its a cross between a Dirty Harry flick, and Heartbreak Ridge. it is also apowerful mentor story.

Eastwood, plays Walt Kowaloski, a recent widower and former korean war vet who is firmly stuck in his old ways. When his next door neighbor, a young Hmung named Thao is accosted by the local Hmung gang and coerced into stealing Walts prized possession, his 1972 Torino, and caught in the act, Walt befriends the boy and his family, then takes it upon himself to protect the community dirty harry style.

The story turns surprisingly dark when the gang retaliates, and Walt finds himself the sole protector for a community in the grasp of a crisis.

This is powerful, stuff, but not for the faint of heart. Walt is a racist mean SOB, but thats how those hardcore old time vets are so beware.

Also, Clint used unknown Hmung actors and actresses so a lot of the acting can be a bit uneven, but when you look at the context of the overall film you will seriously overlook its flaws.

A-. Great, Classic Eastwood at his best.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

United States
    I'm definitely planning on seeing this movie. Other than Diary of the Dead, it's about the only movie in the past 5 years or so that I actually look forward to seeing.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Just be warned SRP, it is one of the most UN-PC films made in the last 20+ years, and it does run a little uneven at times because of the very much unknown and un-experienced cast. However, the moral of the overall story will give you chills down your spine.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

United States
    Agree DJ, one of Eastwoods best. Funny thing, I am usually a guy who comes off as pretty reactionary when it comes to racial epithets, however the racism shown by Eastwoods character didn't offend me. Perhaps it was because he came off as an equal opportunity racist - the character seems to hate practically everyone regardless of race and in that sense he seems somewhat colorblind (if you can get past all of his epithets towards Asians, Jews, Polish, Catholics, Blacks, etc)

Powerful movie, worthy of permanent collection status.
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

Administrator

England
    Not even heard of this film...

Eastwood has some real talent in front and behind the camera!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Eastwood has some real talent in front and behind the camera!
    Unforgiven case in point. Hackman was a badass!

United States
    thanks for the review, DJ. looking forward to this one, oh yes.

Super Moderator

United States
    I hear this is great, but it looks like Clint's main character gives Big Daddy a run for his money in the growling department

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Nice. I'm looking forward to seeing this one. I think Clint is an amazing talent. One would not have guessed the depth of the man based on some of his early work (as great as it was), & it's really shown through even more as he's gotten older. "Dirty Harry meets Heartbreak Ridge" eh? That was the vibe I got, with shades of "Unforgiven" as well.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    Nice. I'm looking forward to seeing this one. I think Clint is an amazing talent. One would not have guessed the depth of the man based on some of his early work (as great as it was), & it's really shown through even more as he's gotten older. "Dirty Harry meets Heartbreak Ridge" eh? That was the vibe I got, with shades of "Unforgiven" as well.
    I never thought of the unforgiven connection, but you know, yeah you can chalk that one on the board too.

Dirty Harry Meets an Unforgiven Heartbreak Ridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
    Agree DJ, one of Eastwoods best. Funny thing, I am usually a guy who comes off as pretty reactionary when it comes to racial epithets, however the racism shown by Eastwoods character didn't offend me. Perhaps it was because he came off as an equal opportunity racist - the character seems to hate practically everyone regardless of race and in that sense he seems somewhat colorblind (if you can get past all of his epithets towards Asians, Jews, Polish, Catholics, Blacks, etc)

Powerful movie, worthy of permanent collection status.

Any favorite lines Yojimbo?

Mine is when he comes to the aid of the girl being harassed by the black guys hanging on the corner when he says.

"You ever notice every once in a while you come across someone you probably shouldn't of f*cked with? Thats me."
    Last edited by DjfunkmasterG; 02-Jan-2009 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

United States
    SPOLIERS!!!

I liked the bit with the young priest: "I think you are a virgin who likes to hold old lady's hands" Reminds me of many ministers I have had services with.
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Man, it is so good to see Clint take on the Semi Dirty harry role again. This movie made me have hope the PC world would lighten up a bit.

Some of the segments in which he deals with Minorities actually come off very funny, I don't think it was intentional but my theater was erupting with laughter when he would go off on one of his tirades.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    Some of the segments in which he deals with Minorities actually come off very funny, I don't think it was intentional but my theater was erupting with laughter when he would go off on one of his tirades.
    It was intentional that Kowalski's behavior be so over the top as to be comical. He wasn't truly a "racist," or else he would have been wearing a white sheet over his head. I wonder if Eastwood's character was named "Walt Kowalski" for a reason.

I also have to wonder by which acting standard is everyone judging the Hmung actors in this movie. Gosh, a modern motion picture where the characters look and act like real people instead of the usual supermodels pouting for the camera--I thought those days were long gone.
    Last edited by DubiousComforts; 10-Jan-2009 at 03:27 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    GRAN TORINO #1 at the US BOX OFFICE $29 Million opening weekend in first weekend of Wide Release, the films fifth week of total release.

E Online put an article online with the Headline "EASTWOOD Spanks Hathaway and Hudson" because Torino beat Bride Wars at the US Box office.

I bet Eastwood would like to spank them in real life.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    "EASTWOOD Spanks Hathaway and Hudson