View Poll Results: Shawshank Redemption or The Green Mile which do you prefer?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Shawshank Redemption (1994)

17 60.71%
  • The Green Mile (1999)

6 21.43%
  • Neither film

5 17.86%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Shawshank Redemption or The Green Mile

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

The Shawshank Redemption or The Green Mile

Which do you prefer and why?

Do you believe that Shawshank deserves the #1 spot on IMDB's top 250?

Do you think The Green Mile is as good as Shawshank Redemption?
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

United States
    Shawshank. Green Mile was good, but I prefer the non-supernatural movie.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    ^^^ same.

Shawshank was superior for me because it lacked both a supernatural element and Tom "Tussle my hair Mr Hanks" Hanks. Ugh. I hate that long streak of piss. Plus it had Morgan Freeman's relaxing voice, and some great characters.

Although Green Mile had a small role for Barry Pepper and that guy is actually a plain awesome actor. Very good film having said all that.
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Green mile, all day. I actually like the fact that it has supernatural elements to it.

It also makes it more family friendly. If a prison movie can be that.

Last edited by darth los; 16-Dec-2009 at 03:32 PM.
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Shawshank. Not sure why.....just like it the most.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by SRP76 View Post
    Shawshank. Green Mile was good, but I prefer the non-supernatural movie.

Green Mile was good, but Shawshank resonates because of a certain depth and reality with regards to the human spirit and condition (if not necessarily the shape of the story itself).

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post

Green Mile was good, but Shawshank resonates because of a certain depth and reality with regards to the human spirit and condition (if not necessarily the shape of the story itself).
    And the same couldn't be said for the Green Mile?

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Super Moderator

UK
    Symph - Barry Pepper, fact fans, does the voice of Cpl Dunn in Modern Warfare 2. I had no idea till I saw that on t'interwebz.

Anyway, I voted Shawshank. The Green Mile is clearly indebted to Shawshank in numerous ways, but it is still a good movie - it's been on telly loads in the UK of late - but it just doesn't measure up to Shawshank which is just pure brilliance.

It's so perfectly put together, with great characters, and such an involving style. Seeing how Andy's escape unfolded is nothing short of gripping. It really is a feel good movie too, even though it often beats you down - but for every beat down, there's a victory, and then of course it all works out in the end with justice finding those deserving of it.

Plus the Family Guy rendition of Shawshank was hilarious.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post

Anyway, I voted Shawshank. The Green Mile is clearly indebted to Shawshank in numerous ways, but it is still a good movie - it's been on telly loads in the UK of late - but it just doesn't measure up to Shawshank which is just pure brilliance.
    Both adaptions of a steven king novel by the same director i would say its not so much indebted as just similar.

-but i vote green mile, first time i saw that i teared up a little at the end, and for me thats very fucking rare. The actor who played jon coffey gave a stellar performance.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Symph - Barry Pepper, fact fans, does the voice of Cpl Dunn in Modern Warfare 2. I had no idea till I saw that on t'interwebz.
    Awesome...

I noticed how good he was when I saw "We were soldiers"...I hate Mel bloody Gibson and was bored to tears by him in that film - and as soon as Barry Pepper showed up as the photographer the whole movie changed...he really moved me in that film.

Great in Green Mile too. I think he's a really promising actor.
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

United States
    i had to vote for shawshank. i think some of king's best works are those that don't concern the supernatural...ie "the bachman books" (king at his best, imo)

barry pepper also did a great job in saving private ryan, flags of our fathers, and the 25th hour. great actor. he's a bit typecasted in some of his roles, but always shines on-screen.

Super Moderator

UK
    Hell yeah Barry Pepper is groovy.

Hellsing - I know they're both written by King, what I was meaning is that they're so damn similar that clearly The Green Mile is indebted to Shawshank. Likewise with the movies, which were both directed by the same dude - ergo, more indebtedness.

England
    Theres parts of Shawshank that make me feel tears welling up everytime I watch it, I dont blubber cos im a gadgey but you know what I mean, when you get that feeling?
    Green mile is a very good film & aside from the supernatural element is quite similar, but doesnt quite beat Shawshank

Canada
    Both films are great, but I've always loved the Green Mile more. One of the few movies that actually made me cry.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    And the same couldn't be said for the Green Mile?

Green Mile seems to m, more fanciful and cartoonish by comparison. You can make arguments to the contrary, but I'm still going to tell you you're wrong

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany