Thread: What an ass backwards country

United States

What an ass backwards country

I'm expecting someone's gonna tell me to leave the country for saying this ... but i'm not just someone who bitches about what a stupid government we have... i'm someone who sees a problem and finds a solution... read onward and btw Terran just for you i'm going to attempt paragraphs

I'm watching NOVA on PBS only because its like 4am and I still can't sleep and they're talking about poverty and showing the lives of several people who are living in poverty, several of whom are on government welfare programs...

This one woman we're going to call Shawanna is a black woman who's about 200 pounds and she's on welfare assistance and has 3 kids. I'm amazed that any woman on welfare can afford to get her nails done either by a friend or professionally. I know my nails cost me about 100 bucks a month and that's relatively inexpensive. I digress... she's going to school to get a degree that would give her access to a pay raise and a better job in the health care industry. Currently working for a nursing home she winds up getting a raise and its not much its like an extra 200 dollars a month. Well the government then says that since she got a raise that some of her welfare benefits are going to have to go down. So they take away 300-400 in benefits from her every month (bear in mind my mind is fuzzy at 4am so I dont recall the exact amount) which leaves this woman with even less money at the end of the month that before she got her raise. Eventually she's forced to decide whether she wants to keep her raise and the promotion that goes with it or stay at her old pace and just keep sponging off the governmet. At this point she can sponge off the government all she wants because they're so ass-backwards. But she continues with her raise and schooling and eventually gets off the governments teet.

Next story...

A middle aged woman we will call Ramona is now divorced and with two children and no child support. Granted there's agencies that force child support but they dont always work. So she's got a minimal education and lives out in the boonies basically and works for a local diner. Of course she barely makes ends meet and to help ease the burden she gets free groceries from a local program for those who cant afford to buy their own. Eventually her house gets foreclosed on because she can't afford the mortgage on one income and she's devestated because where's she gonna move and how can she afford to move? It doesn't help her not having any phone or computer access. Eventually she meets a man and they move in together and then well... i'm sure eventually her story is going to repeat itself...

Why doesn't the government offer incentive to women to go back to school to get a degree to get a job to be able to sustain themselves. Additionally some therapy sessions with women in a similar situation would not only give her a support network but it would help the women form more relationships post-divorce that can help them out since when most people divorce you're not the one who's granted the mutual friends. And further i'm sure as a result of having not paid her phone bill she wouldn't be able to get local phone service hooked up at her home by Bell South or whomever but the government should be able to give those in need cheap local phone service. I know there's companies who are willing to give people with bad credit pre-paid home phones for an obscene rate but the government shouldn't let a business rape the consumers like that. Further the government needs to do more to force men to pay child support. Here in SC they put men in jail for not paying but there's so many loopholes its ridiculous. A man can purposefully get fired or demoted just to have to pay less and not be put in jail ... and really men do that.

Next story...

The next story is about a black man in his 40s living in San Francisco. He rents a one room crap shack in a residental hotel. This place is so ugly is makes Cabrini-Green look like the Hilton. He works as a security guard for a local business and he fights constantly for better wages and for his union. He's not on any government program he's simply showing how hard it is to live in any city on what they call minimum wage which in most cities isn't a liveable wage. This guy I felt the worst for. He is divorced and he does pay child support but he pays so much he's left with virtually nothing. He winds up losing his job which doesn't have any union but pays more than the job he ends up getting which has a union and guarantees a steady raise... but here's the clincher... to make as much as he did at his first job it will take him 4 years or so to get back up there. WTF

I'm torn because I think some unions are good and others like the Teamsters are bad. But what makes his story so great is that it begs for a liveable wage for employees who live in the area in which they work. For instance if you want the benefit of garbage men in your city... shouldn't you be able to give them a salary that lets them live there? Instead cities as expensive to live in as San Fran are essentially driving out the classes that they dont want to live there by not giving them wages that they can live on in the city. But then there's the cost of them driving to work and affording a vehicle. Its just crazy. Its essential for cities to establish a living wage and do what it takes to see that the bottom level workers in the city are getting it.

These were only several of the people from the program the ones I felt most affected watching. What galls me about our government is that we offer no incentive for people to get off welfare. Instead we only offer incentive for people to stay on welfare.

I worked with a woman who was 26 and had two children which isn't all that bad for her age... but they were 8 and 10. She had no education beyond high school and wasn't interested in getting one. She lived in an apartment for people who have low-incomes and got 400 dollars worth of food stamps every month. Not only did she pull in a good 800 dollars a week in tips but she was one of the highest earners in the restaurant. Of everyone at work she needed the government benefits she got the least. But wait there's more... she got promoted to manager and still kept all her government benefits. They never caught onto her. Its like they're not going to check in on you to see what you really make so we will just pretend you need these benefits until forever. She has no incentive to better herself its crazy. They should offer benefits to people only in exchange for someone trying to better their life. I dont get it WHY DONT THEY.

I pay a lot of money in taxes every year. I dont have children. I dont get any special exemptions or write offs. And after seeing where my hard earned tax dollars are going I feel like boycotting taxes until the government does something to get people who make a career out of scamming the government. And I'd like them to reward those who are interested in making a life for themselves enough to do whatever it takes to get off of welfare.
    You smell that? That's the smell of spring, and I love it. You know what I love to do in spring? I love to come out into the woods, to walk amongst the budding trees, to smell and taste the hint of renewal that hovers in the air like a heady perfume, and to listen to the song of the birds who have returned from their long sojourn south. And bury the people I killed during the winter...

http://media.movies.ign.com/media/84...d_1882969.html

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MissJacksonCA View Post
    I'm expecting someone's gonna tell me to leave the country for saying this ... but i'm not just someone who bitches about what a stupid government we have... i'm someone who sees a problem and finds a solution... read onward and btw Terran just for you i'm going to attempt paragraphs

I'm watching NOVA on PBS only because its like 4am and I still can't sleep and they're talking about poverty and showing the lives of several people who are living in poverty, several of whom are on government welfare programs...

This one woman we're going to call Shawanna is a black woman who's about 200 pounds and she's on welfare assistance and has 3 kids. I'm amazed that any woman on welfare can afford to get her nails done either by a friend or professionally. I know my nails cost me about 100 bucks a month and that's relatively inexpensive. I digress... she's going to school to get a degree that would give her access to a pay raise and a better job in the health care industry. Currently working for a nursing home she winds up getting a raise and its not much its like an extra 200 dollars a month. Well the government then says that since she got a raise that some of her welfare benefits are going to have to go down. So they take away 300-400 in benefits from her every month (bear in mind my mind is fuzzy at 4am so I dont recall the exact amount) which leaves this woman with even less money at the end of the month that before she got her raise. Eventually she's forced to decide whether she wants to keep her raise and the promotion that goes with it or stay at her old pace and just keep sponging off the governmet. At this point she can sponge off the government all she wants because they're so ass-backwards. But she continues with her raise and schooling and eventually gets off the governments teet.

Next story...

A middle aged woman we will call Ramona is now divorced and with two children and no child support. Granted there's agencies that force child support but they dont always work. So she's got a minimal education and lives out in the boonies basically and works for a local diner. Of course she barely makes ends meet and to help ease the burden she gets free groceries from a local program for those who cant afford to buy their own. Eventually her house gets foreclosed on because she can't afford the mortgage on one income and she's devestated because where's she gonna move and how can she afford to move? It doesn't help her not having any phone or computer access. Eventually she meets a man and they move in together and then well... i'm sure eventually her story is going to repeat itself...

Why doesn't the government offer incentive to women to go back to school to get a degree to get a job to be able to sustain themselves. Additionally some therapy sessions with women in a similar situation would not only give her a support network but it would help the women form more relationships post-divorce that can help them out since when most people divorce you're not the one who's granted the mutual friends. And further i'm sure as a result of having not paid her phone bill she wouldn't be able to get local phone service hooked up at her home by Bell South or whomever but the government should be able to give those in need cheap local phone service. I know there's companies who are willing to give people with bad credit pre-paid home phones for an obscene rate but the government shouldn't let a business rape the consumers like that. Further the government needs to do more to force men to pay child support. Here in SC they put men in jail for not paying but there's so many loopholes its ridiculous. A man can purposefully get fired or demoted just to have to pay less and not be put in jail ... and really men do that.

Next story...

The next story is about a black man in his 40s living in San Francisco. He rents a one room crap shack in a residental hotel. This place is so ugly is makes Cabrini-Green look like the Hilton. He works as a security guard for a local business and he fights constantly for better wages and for his union. He's not on any government program he's simply showing how hard it is to live in any city on what they call minimum wage which in most cities isn't a liveable wage. This guy I felt the worst for. He is divorced and he does pay child support but he pays so much he's left with virtually nothing. He winds up losing his job which doesn't have any union but pays more than the job he ends up getting which has a union and guarantees a steady raise... but here's the clincher... to make as much as he did at his first job it will take him 4 years or so to get back up there. WTF

I'm torn because I think some unions are good and others like the Teamsters are bad. But what makes his story so great is that it begs for a liveable wage for employees who live in the area in which they work. For instance if you want the benefit of garbage men in your city... shouldn't you be able to give them a salary that lets them live there? Instead cities as expensive to live in as San Fran are essentially driving out the classes that they dont want to live there by not giving them wages that they can live on in the city. But then there's the cost of them driving to work and affording a vehicle. Its just crazy. Its essential for cities to establish a living wage and do what it takes to see that the bottom level workers in the city are getting it.

These were only several of the people from the program the ones I felt most affected watching. What galls me about our government is that we offer no incentive for people to get off welfare. Instead we only offer incentive for people to stay on welfare.

I worked with a woman who was 26 and had two children which isn't all that bad for her age... but they were 8 and 10. She had no education beyond high school and wasn't interested in getting one. She lived in an apartment for people who have low-incomes and got 400 dollars worth of food stamps every month. Not only did she pull in a good 800 dollars a week in tips but she was one of the highest earners in the restaurant. Of everyone at work she needed the government benefits she got the least. But wait there's more... she got promoted to manager and still kept all her government benefits. They never caught onto her. Its like they're not going to check in on you to see what you really make so we will just pretend you need these benefits until forever. She has no incentive to better herself its crazy. They should offer benefits to people only in exchange for someone trying to better their life. I dont get it WHY DONT THEY.

I pay a lot of money in taxes every year. I dont have children. I dont get any special exemptions or write offs. And after seeing where my hard earned tax dollars are going I feel like boycotting taxes until the government does something to get people who make a career out of scamming the government. And I'd like them to reward those who are interested in making a life for themselves enough to do whatever it takes to get off of welfare.

And how is this the government's problem at all? What I see is a bunch of people who didn't finish school or did bad in school and are getting their just penalties for it. This is good. This will set examples for other people who get lazy. It'll give them a reason to actually try to better themselves. They're lucky they get welfare, because in most other countries, they'd get a tenth of what they're getting now.

So how is this the U.S.A.'s fault? How is this "ass backwards"? What if you worked hard on your academics and then you get minimum wage? Would you like your roles to be reversed?

You work hard, it pays off.
    You become lazy, and you regret it forever.
    That, IMO, is a very good lesson.

United States

Its our country thats paying them

Our country is paying welfare that keeps people fat lazy and stupid maybe thats it. Granted not everyone on the program was on welfare but there's a **** ton of people who are and i'm sick of paying taxes to keep them fat lazy and stupid.
    You smell that? That's the smell of spring, and I love it. You know what I love to do in spring? I love to come out into the woods, to walk amongst the budding trees, to smell and taste the hint of renewal that hovers in the air like a heady perfume, and to listen to the song of the birds who have returned from their long sojourn south. And bury the people I killed during the winter...

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    When you posted this it wasn't 4AM...

YOU'RE A FILTHY LIAR!!! BURN, WITCH, BURN!!!

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    the exodus has already begun I hear you about moving MJ.
    Talk about living far away from their jobs the working class commuting critters from the rotten apple live in the PA poconos or further (measure it on a map) and settle in on destroying another wonderful place and way of life.
    Municipal and other unions have done this(never ending tax increases) and the blame falls squarely on their shoulders and the pucilanimous political pipsqueaks they prop up.Failure should never be rewarded with success,....if it is,this is what you get as a final reward.
    You're right about the teamsters MJ
    never have I seen a union dip so deep into a paycheck when its
    that time of the month for what?
    Their own rules for job actions virtually guarantee nothing happens.
    What they really are is managements back room buddies
    these guys are in cahoots to the max.
    That and they set forth the spamlords to barrage their own membership
    with hundreds of dumb emails and offers if they manage to snag your email.
    they stink!
    If you want it easy collect bottles and cans and live in a shantytown,...what can I say
    Last edited by Bongholio; 11-Apr-2007 at 02:26 PM.

Kazakhstan
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    When you posted this it wasn't 4AM...

YOU'RE A FILTHY LIAR!!! BURN, WITCH, BURN!!!
    "Naturally, the common people don't want war, but they can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.
    Tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and endangering the country.
    it works the same in every country."

-Herman Goering, Hitler's Reichsmarschall, at the Nuremberg trials.

THE LEISURE HIVE

United States
    Well, as soon as my 8 years with the guard are over, I plan on moving to Israel and joining the IDF
    "if wishs were fishes we'd all cast nets" - Gurney Hallack

Canada
    I just don't live in the USA.

but I know what your saying...there are so many poor people here that actually need the cash from the government but don't get it, instead some lazy assweed gets it because they voluntarily dropped outta school to go dirt biking and get drunk with their friends.

Hell, My mom finished her high school when she was almost 40, but thats because she got pregnant at 16 and has been working ever since she had my brother (who is now 30), non-stop actually.

United States

I'd rather send money to needy people in other countries...

Misto Mo its so much more than that...
    There are needy people here but how they get down to the point where they become that way. In a country where you have every advantage to be that way is your own fault. To let yourself get to that point is because of mistake you have made. But by taking advantage of government programs like welfare and HUD they basically have no need to ever get back onto their own feed. Essentially the government gives them a bed of roses and says there there its okay we'll help you out no need to earn money for a livng.

I'd sooner give all the money we waste on welfare and spend on low-income housing to underdeveloped counties and areas to fund programs that would promote how to become self-sustained. Maybe send Amish people to teach how to survive off of the land and without power and modern ammenities.

Its time the country stops giving it away and instead says you can have money but first go back to school, get a job, and help yourself.

In I believe it was Inglewood, California around 2002 or 2003 they began a local program to get people who have a hard time finding a job a job. It was essentially a building with day care, computers with job listings, phones that you can dial out of and receive calls to, and access to people who's job it is to help you find a job and make a better life for yourself. Its sad to say that could be the only solution but its at least a solution even if a costly one, to get women to get jobs. If they need day care its there. If they need a phone there it is. They tried to make it so there was no reason for you to be unemployed.

United States
    Unless you have kids you can only get Welfare a lifetime limit of 2 years.
    Things go wrong. People make mistakes. The whole of society should be bought down?
    People have things like illnesses or a childs illness come along a and screw up their lives
    What do you want Dickens era workhouses?
    A society that looks like calcutta?
    Filled orphanages? Dead bodies littering the street like in the Depression?
    Thats what America was like before and during the depression. You get hurt at work and crawl home to starve to death.

Just cause some are leeches doesnt mean everybody who needs some help is is.

You ask why dont people help? Programs to help people us is helping people. Not everyone who needs help is a leech. You get disabled and see how f*cking grand is is in America. You have no goddamn clue.
    You may have been fortunate until now. You may not always be so fortunate. Then, you will see things differently.
    Up, Up and Away! ARRRRRGHGGGH

"It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done. By the way, if you see your Mother, tell her I said...
    Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

United States

2 years? Goshdamn

I'd hate to supporrt someone with no kids for two years dang thats a long time to not work. I'm not really addressing disability here i've never met anyone on it. I'm solely upset about those feeding off my government via welfare. I'm knocking a government that gives their citizens money and not five across the eyes for putting themselves in that position and then not helping them get out of it in a more constructive manner.