Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Halo Reach thread

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed

Halo Reach thread

Seeing as it's out now - there doesn't seem to be a thread here about it - so what do you think of it?

I haven't gotten through much of the single player but the first level so far leaves a lot to be desired - tbh its just that it's ranining, wonder why those chose such a droll and dank setting for the first level - I want EPICNESS! But there's plenty more to go

Loving the multiplayer though - the jetpacks are fantastic tools and the hologram rules too - its nice to have a game based on frantic action and physics rather than chess style duck and cover bullshit where if you stick your head up for longer than a second you die instantly....very refreshing.

As usual the music is epic and amazing....

but what have they done to our weapons?? The BR is rubbish now! and the AR looks skinny and weird - but some of the new weapons are pretty shit hot - but no equipment so far - no trip mines etc...which is a shame.

Overall though it seems awesome so far. However as usual IGN completely overhyped it by giving it a perfect 10/10 score, which is ridiculous and offensive. No game should ever get that score and I'm instantly suspicious of anyone who awards that kind of thing to a game.
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Canada
    Pretty great I think. Just finished it on Heroic, and it was challenging and fun. Not going to spoil it, but needless to say, it is a positive breath of fresh air in the halo series, even if it is fundamentally the same as previous titles.

In regards to weapons- They are far better balanced and each has a specific role now. Really, I don't think that bungie really liked how the multiplayer "pro" (and I use that term very very loosely) latched onto the BR, eschewing the use of every other weapon (except for all the one shot kill ones) in favour of the BR. Really, the DMR is a better weapon, and is hardly rubbish. In universe, the weapons look different because the game takes place several years prior to Halo 3, and the weapons are manufactured on site, so they could very well just be cosmetic differences chocked up to the planet itself.

Equipment wise, they never really saw very much use in Halo 3, with the exception of the bubble shield. Hell, can you even recall how many times you used grenades other than frags and stickies?

All in all, It is a very tight game, and worthy of much of the praise bestowed upon it thus far.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    i've heard its painfully short in campaign, and i buy the halo games for the campaign before the multiplayer so it's putting me off a little.

Basically, my favorites are halo 2 and halo 3: ODST, i didn't like the "holier than thou second coming of media" bollocks around halo 3 and this has had more of the same forced on me with all the "believe" bollocks, if its anything like odst over halo 3 i would probably be sold.

-but then again i know the story of reach so it seems a bit moot for me to pay full price for it, y'know? ive gotten kind of tired of prequels- though i think i know why bugie chose to make this as there swansong, to return to where it all began, before the pillar of autumn jumped randomly from reach to the first halo, i just can't get excited about a game where the ending is set y'know?

United States
    Started my Heroic campaign last night, and man is the AI brutally difficult at times. So far I'm loving it, Firefight mode is a blast online.

Haven't jumped into the competitive arena yet, but I know that's where I'll be spending most of my time.

Edit: Oh, and the music is incredible, maybe even better than ODST's.
    Last edited by CoinReturn; 16-Sep-2010 at 03:12 PM.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    As I believe Darth once put it - "Reach" is a fitting title.

I liked the first few games, but how many times can you repackage what is virtually the same game and call it new? I've given them enough of my money at this point...
    Last edited by bassman; 16-Sep-2010 at 03:20 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    As I believe Darth once put it - "Reach" is a fitting title.

I liked the first few games, but how many times can you repackage what is virtually the same game and call it new? I've given them enough of my money at this point...
    ...you are aware this is a first person shooter, right guy?

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    ...you are aware this is a first person shooter, right guy?
    Exactly my point. They're over milking the cow. You could play the first three games and get the same effect. Hell...I probably shouldn't have bought all three of the originals. They're just turning out the same product with minor differences. Bungie is probably one of the world's most profitable business because they have basically no expense. "Just add a different weapon and call it a different name. We'll make MILLIONS!"

Anyway. Gald you guys enjoy it. I'll stop trolling now.
    Last edited by bassman; 16-Sep-2010 at 04:11 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I bought it yesterday but haven't had a chance to play it yet. I'm probably gonna save it for the weekend. This being the last entry in the series I don't want to rush it, I want to savor it's finer points.

Even if the campaign is disapointing , which I don't think will be the case, there's always multiplayer which is it's big selling point anyway.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    Exactly my point. They're over milking the cow. You could play the first three games and get the same effect. Hell...I probably shouldn't have bought all three of the originals. They're just turning out the same product with minor differences. Bungie is probably one of the world's most profitable business because they have basically no expense. "Just add a different weapon and call it a different name. We'll make MILLIONS!"

Says the guy who's put "many hours" into Wii Sports, a game with perhaps the least amount of depth this gen. Have you even played Halo online?

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK

i was being ironically flippant, and trolling is an art, requiring subtlety, nuance and self deprecating irony based on in-jokes and happenstance.

Come with me and i shall teach you the ways of troll.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by CoinReturn View Post
    Says the guy who's put "many hours" into Wii Sports, a game with perhaps the least amount of depth this gen. Have you even played Halo online?
    am i the only person who doesnt give a shit about halos online? honkey i play tf2 and starcraft 2. i play halo for the campaign, same with gears of war.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    am i the only person who doesnt give a shit about halos online? honkey i play tf2 and starcraft 2. i play halo for the campaign, same with gears of war.
    I've always thoght of the Halo campaigns to be kind of like bonus content on top of the giant heap of multiplayer options. I can understand not liking competetive play, but with the inclusion of Firefight matchmaking, there's plenty of stuff do do on the co-op side of things as well.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    It's not so much depth that I'm talking about, but just the same thing over and over. At least Wii sports has different games and varieties rather than shoot, run, shoot, drive, shoot. Plus it's more fun with friends.

Don't get me wrong....I like Halo. I loved the first three games, but after that I kinda thought they were flogging a dead horse. I'm sure the new one is fun, I just can't be bothered to spend more money on a very similar game.
    Last edited by bassman; 16-Sep-2010 at 04:27 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I've always thoght of the Halo campaigns to be kind of like bonus content on top of the giant heap of multiplayer options. I can understand not liking competetive play, but with the inclusion of Firefight matchmaking, there's plenty of stuff do do on the co-op side of things as well.
    ^^^^

This.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    i've got a couple of friends who've picked it up, but i think i'm going to hold off till the price drops. didn't play the beta that much but i gotta say i don't remember it being much more than more halo, which isn't a bad thing, but like bass says, not 60 bucks worth of a good thing.