Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fidel Castro in Dawn?

United States

Fidel Castro in Dawn?

I'm not sure, but it kinda looks like him.

Roger and Peter are in the maintenance office, switching on the music and displays. Fran runs into the store room saying: "Stephen!" This is followed by an overhead shot of the silver hatchback car. On the far left side of the screen is a bearded zombie who appears to wearing olive drab fatigues and a green cap of some sort. It looks like Fidel to me. This is at 34:18 in the time line.

I'm not saying it is, or not, but I remember reading somewhere that Romero claimed some Cuban heritage. I'm wondering if this is maybe a tongue in cheek "cameo", kinda like Romero's brief appearance as the Santa biker later in the film.

-stray-

Christmas Island
    A pic woulda been nice

Now I have to go though the trouble of getting the disc, putting it in my player, waiting for it to play, wait for the sailboat to go away, wait for the menu (boom boom) to let me press play, sit though the Dolby Digital logo, skip to that time code, wait for the scene, and, finally, look for Fidel.

Oh God, the work

Anyways, I did it for ya

Looks kinda scrawny for him but it could be some sort of homage to El Jefe, minus the cigar.
    Last edited by MaximusIncredulous; 29-Mar-2009 at 04:34 AM.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusIncredulous View Post
    A pic woulda been nice

Call me stupid if you wish, but I don't know how to capture pics from video.

and YES that is the zom I was speaking of ... thanks ... fiend ...

-stray-

ps -- hey, at least I included the time code.

Christmas Island
    No problemo.

As for pic captures, it's easy. Just press the Prt Sc button on your keyboard and then paste into the picture app of your choice.
    Last edited by MaximusIncredulous; 29-Mar-2009 at 06:31 AM.

Just been bitten archivesofthede's Avatar

Undisclosed

It's signed by GAR?!?!
    ARCHIVES OF THE DEAD - RIP

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I've noticed that zombie before, too. Good eye, Stray.

I'd assume it's definitely a tongue-in-cheek thing George threw in there for fun. Perhaps that zombie was intended to get slightly more on-screen time, however was cut?

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    I've noticed that zombie before, too. Good eye, Stray.

I'd assume it's definitely a tongue-in-cheek thing George threw in there for fun. Perhaps that zombie was intended to get slightly more on-screen time, however was cut?
    I think you be right on bro! Anyone dressed or seen dressed like that would have drawn immediate comparisons to castro, especially in that day and age. The resemblance is just too great to ignore or deny for that matter.

That's like saying the the Hare Krishna zombie really isn't one at all even though he's dressed exactly like one.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    I think you be right on bro! Anyone dressed or seen dressed like that would have drawn immediate comparisons to castro, especially in that day and age. The resemblance is just too great to ignore or deny for that matter.

That's like saying the the Hare Krishna zombie really isn't one at all even though he's dressed exactly like one.

Agreed, there is no way that was an accident.
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusIncredulous View Post

I agree it's probably not an accident...I wonder if anyone would even remember to be able to verify this, though or whether there was a sound reason behind it or if it was just a lark. I find conjecture and contradictions abound when this stuff gets asked about.

Maybe Philly has heard something. Then again, show that screen cap to Philly and he's likely to come up with a theory about the chopper having flown all the way to Cuba

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    I agree it's probably not an accident...I wonder if anyone would even remember to be able to verify this, though or whether there was a sound reason behind it or if it was just a lark. I find conjecture and contradictions abound when this stuff gets asked about.

Maybe Philly has heard something. Then again, show that screen cap to Philly and he's likely to come up with a theory about the chopper having flown all the way to Cuba
    The scary thing is you're probably right about philly on that one.

My guess is that there's no way they would remember. If you ever saw the commentary with GAR, Chris and Savini in the Ultimate Edition They struggle to remember even, what we woild consider, the simplest things about the making of that film, so don't expect too much on that front.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    Just to the right of "Castro" is Tom Savini in his "wino that falls into the fountain and picks up a couple of handfuls of pennies" costume. Maybe he might remember?

Looking at this picture again, I'm starting to think it might just be one of the mall janitors that got into the action on that particular night's shooting. I dunno.

-stray-

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by strayrider View Post
    Looking at this picture again, I'm starting to think it might just be one of the mall janitors that got into the action on that particular night's shooting. I dunno.
    But then the real question is: was Senor Janitor a friend of la revolucion cubana?

But seriously, good thinking, Stray. Could be a janitor, I suppose.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by strayrider View Post
    Just to the right of "Castro" is Tom Savini in his "wino that falls into the fountain and picks up a couple of handfuls of pennies" costume. Maybe he might remember?
    I believe the "wino" that flips over the railing into the fountain was played by Taso Stavrakis, not Tom Savini.

Doesn't the same bearded guy in military fatigues show up in the freezer scene sans cap?

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DubiousComforts View Post
    I believe the "wino" that flips over the railing into the fountain was played by Taso Stavrakis, not Tom Savini.
    I believe you are correct.

Good catch on Castro...seems WAY to similar to be a coincidence.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    I believe you are correct.

Good catch on Castro...seems WAY to similar to be a coincidence.
    Quote Originally Posted by DubiousComforts View Post

Doesn't the same bearded guy in military fatigues show up in the freezer scene sans cap?

I'm thinking that the green fatigues could actually be another color but it just looks green because of the lighting in that shot. Does it appear in any other scene in the movie?

I could have sworn that I heard Savini say somewhere that he painted all the zombie's faces white, but the lighting effects in different scenes made them look blue/green.