Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TWD 7x07 "Sing Me a Song" episode discussion... **SPOILERS WITHIN*

Super Moderator

UK

TWD 7x07 "Sing Me a Song" episode discussion... **SPOILERS WITHIN*

Please keep all talk of episode 7x07 "Sing Me a Song" specifically inside this thread.

If you have a theory for a following episode, please use the "spoiler tags" (visit the HPOTD FAQ to find out how to use them if you don't already know).

Similarly, if you're going to discuss plot points from the comic book, please use "spoiler tags" - not everyone is up-to-date on them, and some people don't read them at all.

Enjoy!

Directed by: Rosemary Rodriguez
    Written by: Angela Kang & Corey Reed

"A further peek into the Sanctuary."
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 05-Dec-2016 at 05:39 PM.

United States
    Finally, I've been waiting for this one.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

United States
    I'm sorry but was Carl basically on an assassination mission regardless of his own death if need be? Negan walked directly across the path of Carl's rifle. There was no cover or obstruction to prevent Carl from unleashing the vengeance he was after. And that includes sending rounds through the red coat savior Negan walked behind. I know this episode is big for the comic universe but some of the stuff is just rediculous.

There were some cool scenes but the dumb just bothers me.

- - - Updated - - -
    Last edited by facestabber; 05-Dec-2016 at 03:38 AM. Reason: Double post

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by facestabber View Post
    I'm sorry but was Carl basically on an assassination mission regardless of his own death if need be? Negan walked directly across the path of Carl's rifle. There was no cover or obstruction to prevent Carl from unleashing the vengeance he was after. And that includes sending rounds through the red coat savior Negan walked behind. I know this episode is big for the comic universe but some of the stuff is just rediculous.

- - - Updated - - -
    Also Negan just casually goes to Alexandria, a place where he knows he is much hated, apparently only taking a couple or so of his men with him. In the real world this guy would already have been either killed or captured and turned into a hostage by his very own enemies, who would not so casually allow him to pull this kind of absurdly defiant bravado.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    Also Negan just casually goes to Alexandria, a place where he knows he is much hated, apparently only taking a couple or so of his men with him. In the real world this guy would already have been either killed or captured and turned into a hostage by his very own enemies, who would not so casually allow him to pull this kind of absurdly defiant bravado.
    I hate to say it but the Negan arc peaked at 07-01. It was a fantastic and brutal start. This is just over the top silly. His henchman dont look like they are having the time of their life. They all look down right terrified. Opportunities galore to kill him. I dont see why Carl didnt take Lucille to Negans skull when he went to pick up Judith. Has Carl quickly forgotten the horror he forced himself to observe when Abe and Glenn were slaughtered?

Funny side note I believe I saw. After Dwight tackles Carl and puts the rifle to him, look at how Dwight holds the rifle. Specifically the hand that is supposed to be on the pistol grip/trigger area.....Unless I saw it wrong, there was zero threat of Dwight shooting him there.

Super Moderator

UK
    Great stuff between Carl and Negan - nice to see a comics highlight play out on the screen. That said, a little tweaking would have been nice at times - as said earlier, the horrors of Abraham and Glenn's death etc drift easily into the background a bit. Although when Negan picks up Judith you can see the sense of imprisonment that Carl feels.

The methods of Negan to belittle Carl and then switch to praise is all about messing with people's heads and sense of self-worth. His game is all about manipulation - with Carl, Negan is kind of trying to seduce him and tempt him. Like they said on Talking Dead - Negan's way seems to be working just fine for him, while Rick's way has been very up and down and, at the moment anyway, crumbled. Interesting to see him with Judith, and interacting with his wives - there's clearly a moral code going on there (albeit a seriously screwed up one) and even a softer side.

The iron scene was grim (most effective just seeing the reaction shots), and it was interesting how he was playing with the public's viewpoint - he's wielding fear, but the man who was punished got it because he abandoned his duty of clearing away walkers (for everyone's safety).

He didn't turn up at Alexandria with a 'couple of guys' though - there were at least three vehicles parked up there. As for the rest of The Saviours - yeah, some of them are having a bad time of it, but others are very happy with where they are. It's not always convincing how its written, but at the same time it's very easy to consider yourself the ultimate badass from the comfort of your living room in a world that hasn't suffered a zombie apocalypse. Screwed up or not, Negan has created himself an army of willing followers. The cost of dissention has been made painfully loud and clear - running in like an idiot isn't the greatest idea. How many times has a dictator or tyrant been bloodily deposed only for the society to fall into chaos and continued violence afterwards? Deposing them isn't wrong ultimately, but the consequences and troubles afterwards can be brutal if there isn't a clear plan and a willing populace. Some of the (many) Saviours that Team Rick killed would have been husbands, fathers, brothers of other Saviours - Team Rick aren't "the good guys" from their perspective.

Clearly there is a better life out there (I rather enjoyed Negan roaming around Rick's home - bare feet in the carpet, the wonder of water on tap), but the foundation of The Sanctuary would have come at a time when all these Saviours were in dire need of help - homeless, fearful, hungry, desperate - now its their home and the downsides don't come at once like a big sledgehammer, they drip-drip-drip away at you and your surroundings. You let one thing pass, you'll let another pass, and then you find yourself like Dwight - hugely compromised (but you can see the continued resentment bubbling under the surface). The society they're living in isn't great, but they've got food and shelter and protection - otherwise it's out on your arse and a likely quick death by being eaten alive. The Sanctuary preys on weak souls, and the strong ones are made to yield and pledge allegiance.

The walker in the tree (both arms get cut off) was pretty rad - but I presume it hit its head on the way down (a bit more blood on the head would have helped clarify that).

The reveal at the end of that crazy guy's supplies hidden on a house boat sort of thing in the middle of a walker infested lake was awesome - tingled all my 'what if' bones. It felt like bringing to life some of the things we've talked about here on the forum.

The pacing of this episode was much better than last week's - and this week's was longer. I liked that we got to skip back and forth across different stories, maintaining the importance of the main one (Carl and Negan), but also seeing little bits elsewhere (Rosita and Eugene's bullet-making sojourn, Father Gabriel dissing Spencer, etc). I enjoyed Michonne's roadblock of walkers, too. Seems there's a growing dissent in Team Rick - but the haphazard nature of it is dangerous. Will someone's actions (e.g. Rosita attempts an assassination) cause a death next week ... we shall see.

TWD 7x07 Meme:

United States
    I loved this episode! The comic brought to life. I don't think they left anything out. Negan is so entertaining to watch and the way he messes with people is interesting because there is always a rhyme to his reason. The pacing was perfect too, they didn't waste any time with scenes and just got to it. This is how the whole first have should have been.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    I loved this episode! The comic brought to life. I don't think they left anything out. Negan is so entertaining to watch and the way he messes with people is interesting because there is always a rhyme to his reason. The pacing was perfect too, they didn't waste any time with scenes and just got to it. This is how the whole first have should have been.
    Agreed. The pacing has been rather up and down in 7A - the likes of 7x01 and 7x07 have been spot on, while the likes of 7x06 have been too slow.

Negan is definitely one of those 'love to hate' characters. Loved it when Olivia slapped the shit out of him, and couldn't help but giggle at the line about baseball bats not having pussies.

Did anyone notice that Carl briefly leaned in to Daryl's ear when Negan's back was turned, distracted by his harem? I wonder if we'll see more of this sort of thing, or some kind of 'this was going on the whole time' reveal that there's been little messages going on - might this provide more credence to the 'morse code blinking' seen when Daryl was dragged along to Alexandria?

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Agreed. The pacing has been rather up and down in 7A - the likes of 7x01 and 7x07 have been spot on, while the likes of 7x06 have been too slow.

Negan is definitely one of those 'love to hate' characters. Loved it when Olivia slapped the shit out of him, and couldn't help but giggle at the line about baseball bats not having pussies.

Did anyone notice that Carl briefly leaned in to Daryl's ear when Negan's back was turned, distracted by his harem? I wonder if we'll see more of this sort of thing, or some kind of 'this was going on the whole time' reveal that there's been little messages going on - might this provide more credence to the 'morse code blinking' seen when Daryl was dragged along to Alexandria?
    I didn't notice the Carl/Daryl exchange but I wouldn't be surprised. I won't lie, I got pretty excited when Jesus snuck into the Sanctuary, that's my dude right there haha.

As far as them secretly communicating, Carl went to the Sanctuary to kill Negan, not to rescue or communicate with Daryl as far as my understanding. I doubt Rick would have sent Carl there on his own and he has no idea Jesus tagged along.
    Last edited by Moon Knight; 05-Dec-2016 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Derp

England
    Loved it as well. Good to see JDM isn't just playing Negan as one note. The laughing, sucking of teeth and body acting would get old very quickly if it was all the time. Instead it's something he switches on for effect a bit like Ezekiel does in the kingdom.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Super Moderator

United States

Funny side note I believe I saw. After Dwight tackles Carl and puts the rifle to him, look at how Dwight holds the rifle. Specifically the hand that is supposed to be on the pistol grip/trigger area.....Unless I saw it wrong, there was zero threat of Dwight shooting him there.
    No, I clearly saw it as well. I assumed this was more of Dwight not wanting to actually kill certain characters...or a misstep on the actors part.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    No, I clearly saw it as well. I assumed this was more of Dwight not wanting to actually kill certain characters...or a misstep on the actors part.
    Nah, Dwight isn't a killer like the rest of the Savior's. I mean, sure he'll kill for Negan, but not a kid.

Super Moderator

UK
    Wasn't meaning Carl being sent to communicate, was more talking in general - in this episode it was done off-the-cuff.

Yeah, Jesus getting into the compound rocked - and Daryl knows he's on the inside - I just hope that note really was from him (but who else, realistically?) - there was a match on it and something else, but what was the something else? Anyone make it out?

Ireland

Yeh, that was very badly handled. At least do a gun jam or something, while he takes a shot at Negan, then have him toppled by Dwight? FFS, make an effort.

Negan later hands him Lucille at the ironing rally and Karl does nothing? What?

I know we're to see that Negan keeps control by fear, etc, but the producers are asking a bit much here.
    Last edited by shootemindehead; 06-Dec-2016 at 09:49 AM. Reason: /
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Netherlands
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    There was a match on it and something else, but what was the something else? Anyone make it out?
    It looked like a key, maybe to a vehicle/motorbike.