Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Star Wars on bluray, but which version?

Administrator

England

Star Wars on bluray, but which version?

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/46137

So are these version going to the watchable version or the Lucas gone mad truly f***ed up versions? ie: If I watch "Return of the Jedi", is it going to have the mad ending or not?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

England
    It's Star Wars, GL is always willing double dip us. We'll get both.

Either way, I'm buying 'em, I've been georges bitch since 1977, that's not going to change any time soon.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

United States
    http://www.news.com.au/entertainment...-1225905588627

"
    What will be disappointing to many fans is that the Blu-ray discs will be of the updated, 1997 special editions of Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi, not the original theatrical releases of the films."
    "if wishs were fishes we'd all cast nets" - Gurney Hallack

Undisclosed
    What a cop out..."It's expensive to do".... Were are talking start wars... There is more then an audience for such a product to justify digital restoration... They do it for all sorts of marginal dvd release of films all the time...What an asshole.
    Check out my 3 min zombie short for the diary contest.
    Among the Dead
    http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoid=29079528

England
    We had all this with the DVD's, GL swore by the Force that he would only release the special editions because he favoured them over the originals, so everybody bought them and then he released the originals later on and we all double dipped like he knew we would.

I bet the original trilogy will be available within a year of the special editions being released.
    Oblivion gallops closer, favoring the spur, sparing the rein - I think we will be gone soon

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Exatreides View Post
    http://www.news.com.au/entertainment...-1225905588627

"
    What will be disappointing to many fans is that the Blu-ray discs will be of the updated, 1997 special editions of Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi, not the original theatrical releases of the films."
    The special editions being the ones with Return utterly f***ed up? ie: With the new band in Jabba's palace? And the new Ewok party at the end? I can't watch that version of the film
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    The original editions - in original aspect ratio, and remastered - would be something I'd buy, and I'm not really a Star Wars guy. I mean, I like the movies, but I haven't seen them in years and I refuse to pay for (or watch) the shitty new versions with GL's nonsense spoodged all over them.

I briefly considered getting the original versions on DVD - but not only were they not cleaned up, they were in PAN AND SCAN! So, basically, VHS-rips! Sod that.

The man's an idiot for not releasing what the fans want. The money excuse is bullshit, it's LucasFilm for one thing - they're riiiiiich, bitch - and fans the world over want the originals cleaned up and in widescreen. It'd make a packet of money - GL is a moron for refusing to do it. We don't care if it's his preferred version, we prefer the originals!

And I'm not even all that big on Star Wars - so just imagine what die-hards think about it all!

Administrator

England
    If I could get them remastered. with just some of the CGI improvements (eg: to the XWings in New Hope), I'd love it... But the remastered versions with butchered story and music, blah!!

---------- Post added at 11:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    The man's an idiot for not releasing what the fans want. The money excuse is bullshit, it's LucasFilm for one thing - they're riiiiiich, bitch - and fans the world over want the originals cleaned up and in widescreen. It'd make a packet of money - GL is a moron for refusing to do it. We don't care if it's his preferred version, we prefer the originals!

And I'm not even all that big on Star Wars - so just imagine what die-hards think about it all!
    When he dies, the studios will do it!
    -Carl Sagan

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    The original editions - in original aspect ratio, and remastered - would be something I'd buy, and I'm not really a Star Wars guy. I mean, I like the movies, but I haven't seen them in years and I refuse to pay for (or watch) the shitty new versions with GL's nonsense spoodged all over them.

I briefly considered getting the original versions on DVD - but not only were they not cleaned up, they were in PAN AND SCAN! So, basically, VHS-rips! Sod that.

Weird, my DVD set of the Original films is in WS letterbox 2.35:1. When i want to watch Star Wars that is what i watch, but I haven't opened the DVD's in a long time. I would say at least 3-4 years since I watched them or even looked at the Tin Box that houses the 3 respective films including their special edition counterparts.

I was a huge fan until the abomination known as Attack of the Clones. I didn't hate Phantom menaces as much as people have, but the last two films of the newer entries are just horrible and a super pain in the ass to sit through.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    If I could get them remastered. with just some of the CGI improvements (eg: to the XWings in New Hope), I'd love it... But the remastered versions with butchered story and music, blah!!

---------- Post added at 11:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 AM ----------

When he dies, the studios will do it!
    Dream on...sucka!!!

http://www.bbspot.com/News/2005/09/star_wars_lucas.html

Super Moderator

UK
    Hmmm ... perhaps I'm getting confused then, maybe it was just that they weren't Anamorphic then ... not sure. What's the picture quality like on those?

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    Skimmed a bit into that before I realized what was going on, though--in my defense--I put little past ol' GL!

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Whoa. I just now caught the update in the article. That deleted skywalker intro got the nerd blood flowing. That should've never been taken out...
    Last edited by bassman; 16-Aug-2010 at 11:20 PM.

United States
    "Cost too much to redo the originals"...yeah...like they haven't been remastered a couple of time already... (In best fog horn voice) "BullLLLLLL SHIIIiiiit...."

This plus the fact EVERYBODY knows he'll release 'em later & double dip...

Captain Picard hates George Lucas' greed...

Last edited by MoonSylver; 18-Aug-2010 at 05:04 AM.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion2213 View Post
    The scary thing is, you can imagine Lucas thinking this sort of thing through
    -Carl Sagan