Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pacific Rim (film)

United States

Pacific Rim (film)

While this film is more than a year away, I can't help but get hyped when I see this promo pic of Idris Elba dressed as a Jaeger pilot:

https://twitter.com/StaxIGN/status/2...956800/photo/1

Plus, this recent interview with Del Toro makes me think this is going to be the best giant monster movie ever:

http://www.totalfilm.com/news/guille...ks-pacific-rim

Total Film caught up with Hellboy director Guillermo del Toro recently, who took time out of his busy schedule shooting monster mash Pacific Rim to talk about the movie.

A massive epic starring Idris Elba, Ron Perlman and Charlie Hunnam, the film revolves around an alien invasion, and the human-made robots created to combat the intergalactic nasties.

“So much of the creation of the movie was having the best creative experience I’ve ever had in Hollywood,” the director says.

Here’s a taster of what del Toro had to say about Pacific Rim. For more, pick up the latest issue of Total Film, out now…

What sort of scale are you working on?

"When we’re talking about the physicality of the fight, we ended up building several blocks of Hong Kong. And literally demolished them. We built a building and then we took down the buildings.

We built command centres of the robots that were the size of the house. We started them on hydraulic rigs that shoot and elevated them and moved them round so you could really get a sense of the physical nature driving a robot like this."
    Here's the official synopsis which came out last week, if you haven't heard about this film:

When legions of monstrous creatures, known as Kaiju, started rising from the sea, a war began that would take millions of lives and consume humanity’s resources for years on end. To combat the giant Kaiju, a special type of weapon was devised: massive robots, called Jaegers, which are controlled simultaneously by two pilots whose minds are locked in a neural bridge. But even the Jaegers are proving nearly defenseless in the face of the relentless Kaiju.

On the verge of defeat, the forces defending mankind have no choice but to turn to two unlikely heroes-a washed up former pilot (Charlie Hunnam) and an untested trainee (Rinko Kikuchi)-who are teamed to drive a legendary but seemingly obsolete Jaeger from the past. Together, they stand as mankind’s last hope against the mounting apocalypse.
    Definitely my most anticipated movie of 2013.

United States
    New poster, hopefully there will be more info at Comic-Con:

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Hmm... I'll bite... Cautiously.

Administrator

England
    Not heard of this at all... Definately on my radar now
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    As long as it's more Pan's Labyrinth and less Hellboy....I'm there.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Not heard of this at all... Definately on my radar now
    nah. i'll pass. i think del toro is one of the most overrated directors of all-time. thankfully he did not end up directing the Hobbit movies. other than "Pan's Labyrinth" nothing he's ever done has even remotely impressed me. i don't get why people go ga-ga over the guy.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    As long as it's more Pan's Labyrinth and less Hellboy....I'm there.
    I loved Hell Boy
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    As a lifelong confirmed Godzilla fan & kaijuphille in general I'm stoked for this. What's with the hate? You guys a bunch of old ladies or what? Giant robots fighting kaiju? My inner 12 year old gives this the seal of approval. This & the new Godzilla due in 2014 are a couple of my most anticipated films on the horizon.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    What's with the hate? You guys a bunch of old ladies or what? Giant robots fighting kaiju? My inner 12 year old gives this the seal of approval.
    With Guillermo Del Toro at the helm I tentatively agree.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vKz7WnU83E

Hype level at critical levels. I know Del Toro has an eye for visual flair, but that looks better than I could have dreamed!

United States
    Shweet. Reminds me a bit of ID4+Godzilla+Gundam. = Cool.
    Last edited by MoonSylver; 12-Dec-2012 at 11:36 PM. Reason: mlm

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Hrmm. Looks fun enough, but I was expecting it to look a bit more original because it's coming from Del Toro....

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by CoinReturn View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vKz7WnU83E

Hype level at critical levels. I know Del Toro has an eye for visual flair, but that looks better than I could have dreamed!
    Goddamn that looks like it could be good!

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Hrmm. Looks fun enough, but I was expecting it to look a bit more original because it's coming from Del Toro....
    Meh. You go too far off the reservation of A) Kaiju & B) Giant Robots & then you're making something else other than: "Kaiju vs Giant Robots", which appears to be the intent.

I like the premise of where the Kaiju are coming from. Simple, effective, & "plausible" (enough) way to get the big ol' buggers in action ASAP.