Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: TWD 7x08 "Hearts Still Beating" episode discussion... **SPOILERS WITHIN*

Super Moderator

UK

TWD 7x08 "Hearts Still Beating" episode discussion... **SPOILERS WITHIN*

Please keep all talk of episode 7x08 "Hearts Still Beating" specifically inside this thread.

If you have a theory for a following episode, please use the "spoiler tags" (visit the HPOTD FAQ to find out how to use them if you don't already know).

Similarly, if you're going to discuss plot points from the comic book, please use "spoiler tags" - not everyone is up-to-date on them, and some people don't read them at all.

Enjoy!

Directed by: Michael E. Satrazemis
    Written by: Matthew Negrete & Channing Powell

So! The mid-season finale is upon us and it looks like everyone's getting a look-in this episode!

Alexandria receives an unexpected visit.

Yes, I know this is going up early, but I'm busy over the next few days and I might forget to put it up otherwise.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 17-Dec-2016 at 06:11 PM.

United States
    Will someone die this episode?
    Will Daryl get rescued and by who?
    What is Michonne gonna get into?
    What is Maggie looking at in the above pic? ^
    How will The Kingdom get involved?
    Will Rosita take a shot at Negan?
    Will Rick continue to be a bitch to Negan?

Lots going on in this extended mid season finale.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

United States
    Every time my faith starts getting rattled the show produces a gem. I think this will be it.

United States
    Thank God. Enjoyed that. The Daryl/Rick hug was satisfying. The level of respect those two have for each other is evident.

So Moon how much did you panic when Rosita appeared in harms way?

Rising

United States
    OK, so Daryl is free at last, but now Eugene has become a hostage. Back to square one

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by facestabber View Post
    So Moon how much did you panic when Rosita appeared in harms way?
    Maaaaaaan, during that commercial break I went and got a drink because there was no way she was gonna hit Negan haha. Thought it was a wrap.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    OK, so Daryl is free at last, but now Eugene has become a hostage. Back to square one
    I believe Negan will treat Eugene differently than he did Daryl.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    I had reckoned this episode would see a 'fight back decision' made and a sort of rebuilding of the team (but in exactly what manner I wasn't sure), so I'm very happy with this episode. Sometimes the 8/8 split can work really well, but at the same time you still have to meet that mid-season finale point exactly where it is - in episode eight - so as a result we've had a bit too much circling about (e.g. 7x06 - 49 minutes of Tara and Oceanside was one bottle episode too many, even if there were various parts of it that were very enjoyable - e.g. all the bridge stuff).

Anyway - loved Negan in the kitchen, loved Spencer trying his hand at post apocalyptic politics, loved the whole Negan showdown outside Rick's house (which really confirmed his power as an individual - the violent unpredictability combined with intelligence make him a dangerous foe).

In past threads for Season 7A some folks have said they'd like to see members of Negan's team who are evidently loyal and not just in servitude by force - we got that loud and clear in this episode - the tattoo lady is clearly having a ball (trying to nail Spencer, to boot), as is her male cohort (who shook Spencer's hand) who seemed very happy in his middle management position, and the lady (forget the name, couldn't quite hear it right in the episode) who shot Olivia is evidently chock-full o' Cool Aid for the whole "We Are Negan" thing.

Likewise we saw with "Fat Joey" (if I'm remembering his name in the show correctly) we saw another example of why people follow Negan - he's clearly a weak individual who lucked out early in the apocalypse to a community under a capable leader that managed to protect him and provide safety and shelter. He probably got there very early on with the majority of the others who are clearly well used to kneeling to Negan - at their weakest and most scared moment they bowed to a tyrant and have remained in that position whether they like it or not. So "Fat Joey" is just happy to have shelter and food and, especially if he had he found a better group early on, not that bad of a guy - but he needs Negan and cannot defect to another camp (it'd mean his death or punishment), so he's trapped. He's not necessarily having a good time, but he's not have a terrible time either.

Look at the others we saw in this episode - a bunch of dudes player poker, laughing and joking - and working for Negan they've got themselves some pretty tidy digs to live in (remember the room that Negan was offering Daryl in 7x03 - not too shabby at all, especially so in the apocalypse). However, on the other hand we saw that red haired lady in the truck who was clearly sick of it all (either of being a servant, or out of disgust from what she's allowed herself to do under Negan's leadership). That was a great scene - her telling Michonne about the silencer.

Back to "Fat Joey" though - the one thing I really didn't see coming at all was Daryl smashing his head in a la Negan and Lucille. Holy shit! And in front of Jesus, too (which confirms it was Jesus who left the note ... speaking of which, nice to see a little detail with the card keeping the lock on the door at bay, thus allowed Daryl's exit into the bike yard). That scene was brutal - I wonder how Negan's gonna react to that (and Daryl's escape). To be fair, his own people let him down on that front ... might that iron be getting roasted up?

I didn't get to see the post-credits scene (will try and see that tonight) - but who do you think the guy in the boots is? The one we saw by the lakeside (loved that one improved oar said "I am dead" and the other said "asshole" as they were twatting those walkers in the lake.

It was great to see the band get back together again - you could see it in all their faces - that strength of togetherness (we clearly saw the weakness in lone wolf actions from Rosita). It was interesting, I think had Spencer not been killed she would have done as Father Gabriel said in the church scene (another great bit of character interaction in this episode). Yeah, loved everyone hugging it out, Rick getting his mojo back, his hug with Daryl - and getting his Python back! Fudge yeah - you could see the Rick Grimes sheriff swagger hit back as he slung it in its holster.

So yeah - very pleased with this episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    I believe Negan will treat Eugene differently than he did Daryl.
    Oh hell yeah. Eugene will be a servant, but a respected one because of his clear and present value as a munitions maker.

TWD 7x08 Memes:

Last edited by MinionZombie; 12-Dec-2016 at 06:22 PM.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I had reckoned this episode would see a 'fight back decision' made and a sort of rebuilding of the team (but in exactly what manner I wasn't sure), so I'm very happy with this episode. Sometimes the 8/8 split can work really well, but at the same time you still have to meet that mid-season finale point exactly where it is - in episode eight - so as a result we've had a bit too much circling about (e.g. 7x06 - 49 minutes of Tara and Oceanside was one bottle episode too many, even if there were various parts of it that were very enjoyable - e.g. all the bridge stuff).

Anyway - loved Negan in the kitchen, loved Spencer trying his hand at post apocalyptic politics, loved the whole Negan showdown outside Rick's house (which really confirmed his power as an individual - the violent unpredictability combined with intelligence make him a dangerous foe).

In past threads for Season 7A some folks have said they'd like to see members of Negan's team who are evidently loyal and not just in servitude by force - we got that loud and clear in this episode - the tattoo lady is clearly having a ball (trying to nail Spencer, to boot), as is her male cohort (who shook Spencer's hand) who seemed very happy in his middle management position, and the lady (forget the name, couldn't quite hear it right in the episode) who shot Olivia is evidently chock-full o' Cool Aid for the whole "We Are Negan" thing.

Likewise we saw with "Fat Joey" (if I'm remembering his name in the show correctly) we saw another example of why people follow Negan - he's clearly a weak individual who lucked out early in the apocalypse to a community under a capable leader that managed to protect him and provide safety and shelter. He probably got there very early on with the majority of the others who are clearly well used to kneeling to Negan - at their weakest and most scared moment they bowed to a tyrant and have remained in that position whether they like it or not. So "Fat Joey" is just happy to have shelter and food and, especially if he had he found a better group early on, not that bad of a guy - but he needs Negan and cannot defect to another camp (it'd mean his death or punishment), so he's trapped. He's not necessarily having a good time, but he's not have a terrible time either.

Look at the others we saw in this episode - a bunch of dudes player poker, laughing and joking - and working for Negan they've got themselves some pretty tidy digs to live in (remember the room that Negan was offering Daryl in 7x03 - not too shabby at all, especially so in the apocalypse). However, on the other hand we saw that red haired lady in the truck who was clearly sick of it all (either of being a servant, or out of disgust from what she's allowed herself to do under Negan's leadership). That was a great scene - her telling Michonne about the silencer.

Back to "Fat Joey" though - the one thing I really didn't see coming at all was Daryl smashing his head in a la Negan and Lucille. Holy shit! And in front of Jesus, too (which confirms it was Jesus who left the note ... speaking of which, nice to see a little detail with the card keeping the lock on the door at bay, thus allowed Daryl's exit into the bike yard). That scene was brutal - I wonder how Negan's gonna react to that (and Daryl's escape). To be fair, his own people let him down on that front ... might that iron be getting roasted up?

I didn't get to see the post-credits scene (will try and see that tonight) - but who do you think the guy in the boots is? The one we saw by the lakeside (loved that one improved oar said "I am dead" and the other said "asshole" as they were twatting those walkers in the lake.

It was great to see the band get back together again - you could see it in all their faces - that strength of togetherness (we clearly saw the weakness in lone wolf actions from Rosita). It was interesting, I think had Spencer not been killed she would have done as Father Gabriel said in the church scene (another great bit of character interaction in this episode). Yeah, loved everyone hugging it out, Rick getting his mojo back, his hug with Daryl - and getting his Python back! Fudge yeah - you could see the Rick Grimes sheriff swagger hit back as he slung it in its holster.

So yeah - very pleased with this episode.

Oh hell yeah. Eugene will be a servant, but a respected one because of his clear and present value as a munitions maker.

TWD 7x08 Memes:

Well said, brother.

That last meme- Yeah, that was me. Real talk haha.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, the girl that cut my wife and killed Olivia is called Arat.

United States
    Well said, brother.

That last meme- Yeah, that was me. Real talk haha.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, the girl that cut my wife and killed Olivia is called Arat.
    Your wife cut herself. hmmmm Arat is Tara backwards. Is she the anti Tara?

United States
    Your wife cut herself. hmmmm Arat is Tara backwards. Is she the anti Tara?
    Good thing I dig scars, man.

United States
    Good thing I dig scars, man.
    Its nice to see Rosita getting some story. Gals with battle scars are downright sexy. Great seeing Maggie smile after seeing her family.

United States
    Its nice to see Rosita getting some story. Gals with battle scars are downright sexy. Great seeing Maggie smile after seeing her family.
    Damn right! It only took 3 and a half seasons; but I'll take it.

Was it really Jesus who left Daryl the note and keys? I didn't see it as Jesus being behind that, it was too elaborate for someone who doesn't even know about the bike and keys.

My theory.

I think it was Dwight. Once the group goes to visit Ezekiel they also find Dwight there and then he drops the bomb on Daryl that he can be trusted cause he's the one that set him free. I kinda hope it plays this way. Comic readers will understand.

United States
    Damn right! It only took 3 and a half seasons; but I'll take it.

Was it really Jesus who left Daryl the note and keys? I didn't see it as Jesus being behind that, it was too elaborate for someone who doesn't even know about the bike and keys.

My theory.

I think it was Dwight. Once the group goes to visit Ezekiel they also find Dwight there and then he drops the bomb on Daryl that he can be trusted cause he's the one that set him free. I kinda hope it plays this way. Comic readers will understand.
    I read the scene as other than Jesus. If it was Jesus why wouldn't he just open the cell door with the key and say let's go Daryl. I'd guess Sherri. She sees the potential in Daryl.

United States
    I read the scene as other than Jesus. If it was Jesus why wouldn't he just open the cell door with the key and say let's go Daryl. I'd guess Sherri. She sees the potential in Daryl.
    My issue with the Sherry theory is that the footsteps at the doorsteps seemed rather strong for a woman. Of course I could be wrong.

Super Moderator

UK
    Yeah ... it could be Dwight still ... I'd just got it into my head that it was Jesus because Daryl had seen him on top of that truck (and not be on top anymore once it drove away), and when Jesus rounded the corner into the bike yard it was as if he was expecting Daryl. Seems like the kind of guy who likes to keep on the move in a hostile environment, rather than stick around. Maybe he had some kind of thought process that Daryl needed to make the decision himself to leave, given the chance.

But yeah, it could just as easily be Dwight (or even Sherri).

Damn it was awesome when Daryl gave Rick his gun back and he turned round in that hero shot - the Ricktatorship is back! It was great to get the family back together, but it was absolutely right that it had to be taken away at the beginning of the season - I'm glad they didn't wait any longer than the mid-season finale to get them back on track. You couldn't do it sooner as you need to save that for the mid-season finale to provide a hook for February, but in-turn we've had to have too much 'bottling up' of the story to pass the time - not that there hasn't been some really good stuff along the way, but the overall pacing was off. I feel we'll have a better sense of propulsion in 7B now, though.