Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dawn of the Dead 3D Bluray? Anyone watched it yet?

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed

Dawn of the Dead 3D Bluray? Anyone watched it yet?

Just wonderered what the DOTD 3D dvd was like, I don't even have Blueray yet, let alone 3D, any body watched it or know of any reviews on it?
    Some have started appearing on ebay, item 320649432886 is one if you want to see it, it's not my auction, just thought it might be of interest.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I smell a fake.

Although Rubenstein was reportedly working on a 3D edit, I doubt this would be the way it would premiere...
    Last edited by bassman; 29-Jan-2011 at 10:34 PM. Reason: .

Administrator

England
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Well if it is Region B locked not many in the states would have grabbed at it yet. Plus where is the official announcement? Won't do me any good to buy it as I do not own a 3D TV My BR player is 3D ready but not the TV

---------- Post added at 11:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 AM ----------

FOund another eBay link: http://cgi.ebay.com/DAWN-DEAD-3D-EXT...item53e5d30c18

Also posted this at High Def Digest to see what comes back on it.

---------- Post added at 11:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:22 AM ----------

one of the guys at HDD.COM learned something about this release via AMAZON.DE:

this is from a review--apparently someone used a do-it-yourself 3D program to add the 3D effect.
    doesn't sound like a "real" studio effort by any means.
    a curio more than anything.

"In this version of the film is the original extended cut of Romero, Created for the LD release. Unfortunately, he was heavily mutilated in the present version, all the blood effects were removed. As a result, the film loses its charm, with whom he became a milestone of horror films. The PM-18 release is completely incomprehensible, he would surely come with the FSC-16-seal it. The image is sharp, but prepares the clay no joy: There were mixed film and video synchronization, set to music a few scenes with other cast new, others were left in the original and a few drowned out (despite lip movements) with only one music track. Well, then there's the amazing 3D effect, which runs the whole concoction the coronation. Loveless worked with one of the many available free on the Internet "Do-me-to-3D film" programs or "sexed up". Only anaglyph, which means you need the good old red-green glasses, this is not with the Blu-Ray. For 3-D effect can only say: Look at an x-any 2D black and white on film by the above spectacles and then the 3D edition of this film. You will be amazed and laid ellen that the 3D version of Dawn is only Bauernfängerei."
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Take it that was a computer translation lol

Here's an article on the art of 2D/3DStereo conversion and the issues - very fascinating but makes you realise just how big the process is and the kind of evil post production issues they will face - notable examples are people wearing glasses are nigh on impossible to post render 3D effectively, it makes their eyes appear painted on the lenses. Trying to think of someone in dawn wearing glasses - would defo be the TV studio...so that will be an issue for some poor sod!

http://www.fxguide.com/featured/art-...sion-2d-to-3d/
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Undisclosed
    The 3D look isn't that great on it.
    Definitely not the 3D process Lucas is using on the Star Wars films.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK

why would you want this?

Administrator

England
    15 euros...

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Dawn-O...Blu-ray/17474/

---------- Post added at 06:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:55 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    Well if it is Region B locked not many in the states would have grabbed at it yet. Plus where is the official announcement? Won't do me any good to buy it as I do not own a 3D TV My BR player is 3D ready but not the TV

---------- Post added at 11:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 AM ----------

FOund another eBay link: http://cgi.ebay.com/DAWN-DEAD-3D-EXT...item53e5d30c18

Also posted this at High Def Digest to see what comes back on it.

---------- Post added at 11:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:22 AM ----------

one of the guys at HDD.COM learned something about this release via AMAZON.DE:

this is from a review--apparently someone used a do-it-yourself 3D program to add the 3D effect.
    doesn't sound like a "real" studio effort by any means.
    a curio more than anything.

"In this version of the film is the original extended cut of Romero, Created for the LD release. Unfortunately, he was heavily mutilated in the present version, all the blood effects were removed. As a result, the film loses its charm, with whom he became a milestone of horror films. The PM-18 release is completely incomprehensible, he would surely come with the FSC-16-seal it. The image is sharp, but prepares the clay no joy: There were mixed film and video synchronization, set to music a few scenes with other cast new, others were left in the original and a few drowned out (despite lip movements) with only one music track. Well, then there's the amazing 3D effect, which runs the whole concoction the coronation. Loveless worked with one of the many available free on the Internet "Do-me-to-3D film" programs or "sexed up". Only anaglyph, which means you need the good old red-green glasses, this is not with the Blu-Ray. For 3-D effect can only say: Look at an x-any 2D black and white on film by the above spectacles and then the 3D edition of this film. You will be amazed and laid ellen that the 3D version of Dawn is only Bauernfängerei."
    Well, surely it has to be pucker, else it would be braking copyright etc etc!?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    So is this the shizzle Rubinstein was on about? I'm not buying that!!!! Stereoscopic 3D or GTFO.
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicX View Post
    So is this the shizzle Rubinstein was on about? I'm not buying that!!!! Stereoscopic 3D or GTFO.
    I didn't think so at first....but maybe it is?!?

If it is the real deal....why the hell haven't we heard anything official about it?
    Last edited by bassman; 02-Feb-2011 at 06:17 PM. Reason: .

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Its definitely an official release of sorts....It must be as Neil said, otherwise copyright infringement case is on it's way....

Perhaps Rubinstein was planning to surprise us by getting John Russo to add new scenes and shoot them in 3D. Could you imagine!!!!?

Anaglyph 3D can suck my monkeys. I wouldn't buy that in a million years...I seriously thought Rubinstein was putting this film through a proper Lucas style S3D conversion - like the top and tail parts to Alice in Wonderland - which didn't look bad for a proper s3D conversion.

But this...red and blue glasses supplied. Are you f**king kidding me? Releasing Dawn in 3D to cash in on the modern 3D bandwagon by using technology that's been in use since the 1950s?!?!?! SUCK MY MONKEYS!

---------- Post added at 08:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:02 PM ----------

Sorry did I saw 50s??

I meant to say using technology that's been in use since the 1800s ......

1800s....yeah.

c1894 William Friese Greene files a patent application for a 3D viewing process using two screens side by side, united in the viewer's eye by a cumbersome stereoscope headset. As with all his endeavours, he is ahead of his audience by about 30 years.

1915 The Great Train Robbery director, film- narrative pioneer and cine-huckster Edwin S Porter, presents red-green anaglyph test shorts in New York, but his process is never developed further.

1920 The Power of Love (a movie now lost), using a system developed by cinematographer Robert F Elder, is the first 3D movie screened for a commercial audience, in Los Angeles.
    Last edited by SymphonicX; 05-Feb-2011 at 07:06 PM. Reason: werwer

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Its definitely an official release of sorts....It must be as Neil said, otherwise copyright infringement case is on it's way....
    "Official" doesn't mean it has anything to do with Romero, Ruberstein, MKR Group or any of the ultimate rights holders though. Official can simply mean it has been released by a legitimate distributor who purchased the distribution rights. Once a distributor has licensed a movie in a given territory, often they can pretty much do what they want: re-cut it, add to it, or in this case slap a hurried, outdated anaglyphic 3D effect on it.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    "Official" doesn't mean it has anything to do with Romero, Ruberstein, MKR Group or any of the ultimate rights holders though. Official can simply mean it has been released by a legitimate distributor who purchased the distribution rights. Once a distributor has licensed a movie in a given territory, often they can pretty much do what they want: re-cut it, add to it, or in this case slap a hurried, outdated anaglyphic 3D effect on it.
    Totally but my point being (and vaguely made without realising) is that with this release would potentially obscure, tie up or even completely destroy any chances of licensing out Dawn for another 3D release. This is the 3D Dawn of the Dead....I'd imagine a fair few complications with conflicts of interest if there were two 3D versions of Dawn competing with each other. However it could be argued that its a different format - ie the media that its stored on. Not sure about the actual physical differences between a 3D blu ray and a 2D one - but there's definitely a higher data rate needed through HDMI for it to be played so that may dictate it being technically a different format....but you'd think in the same ways as doing a remake, the licensees would claim some ownership over "Dawn of the Dead 3D"

Undisclosed
    Rubinstein has no claims to anything DAWN-related released outside of North America. Romero no longer has rights to DAWN as his interests were bought out.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Ah right OK, this is a rights holder nightmare of sorts....

I'm not overly clued up on who owns what with these things, I know Romero's basically losing out on the whole deal save for conventions but I was kinda under the impression that Rubinstein had covetted the lot to his breast like a magpie gathering tin foil - what is the deal with this then...?

Here are my questions:

is this 3D blu ray available in the USA?
    Who owns the rights to the European distribution? Is it Anchor Bay or did they purchase a licence only?
    Does this mean I am ever likely to see a S3D conversion of Dawn of the Dead? What do you think is going on??

cheers Dub