Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Fear The Walking Dead - first promo teaser...

United States
    If the reviews came from people on this forum, zombie genre fans, I would give them some standing. Now I only say some considering the division here with Land and Dawn remake for example. Regardless, I'm going to watch this.

Super Moderator

UK
    Aye, the first season is only 6 episodes so it's not like a big commitment, so hopefully by the end of the season it should be in pretty good standing to develop over those episodes. Like you, I was always going to see it regardless of what a reviewer says.

Speaking generally with online reviews, sometimes I wonder if they're more interested in click bait opinions that can be bundled into a headline to farm hits than an actual, solid, considered and fair assessment of a filmmaker's latest work. It's like videogame reviews that give big old thumbs up to crap just because the distributor is advertising on that site.

England
    Some more positive reviews collected by The Telegraph

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/t...f-reviews.html
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Of course the reviews are positive - people still watch and enjoy TWD. In my mind, TWD is a pretty poor show with way too many stupid characters that make you groan.

I'm going to give this a go, tho. The whole thing about it being set at the very beginning - during the breakdown - sounds very interesting. We haven't really seen that before.

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Sometimes critics just like to cause a great big stink. Time will tell with FTWD, but just look at the laughably over-the-top slamming of True Detective Season 2!
    I've only read a couple of "reviews" of the second series of 'True Detective' which I thought were juvenile at best. I just finished the finale and thought it was very good over all.

Seems some people needed a guidebook for the plot though.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    Seeing the start of the apocalypse isn't that 'new' - the early stages are in a way rather oversaturated as most zombie movies can't afford to be set that far into society's collapse at the undead hands of the rotting hordes ... however, FTWD does seem to take place smack bang at the start, which is something we don't tend to see all that often, and not in a Walking Dead way either, so it'll be very interesting to see the crumbling TWD style. A couple of snifters that we got in Season 2 of TWD were chilling - e.g. the bombing of Atlanta as Shane and Lori look on from the distance.

My only concern is we viewers having too much knowledge over the protagonists - I call it the 'Tremors 4 problem' - I hope we don't get too much 'oh gee, I keep shooting them in the chest but they don't go down, hurr-durr, oh wait I'll maybe try a headshot this time!' ... there'll have to be a bit of that, but hopefully not too much because we viewers already know this info. The reason why I call it the 'Tremors 4 problem' is because that movie was essentially the first flick all over again with a bunch of characters who are discovering graboids for the first time - and therefore how to combat them - but if you're watching Tremors 4 then you'll likely have seen at least one of the other three movies (and maybe even the TV show), so as a viewer of Tremors 4 you're sitting there watching people discover things that you already know and it's frustrating ... so hopefully we don't get too much of that in FTWD. We'll see, but that's my only real concern at this stage.

Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    I've only read a couple of "reviews" of the second series of 'True Detective' which I thought were juvenile at best. I just finished the finale and thought it was very good over all.

Seems some people needed a guidebook for the plot though.
    I do agree that the plot was rather complex, but in the end I got the majority of the important stuff - it just required patience to piece it all together over eight weeks - I think that maybe four protagonists, and their interconnected stories and various sets of antagonists, was an awful lot to cram into 8 episodes, but despite the complexity it was still far above most telly out there. The finale was superb, as you say, capping off a satisfying season (roll on season 3!).

Ireland
    I hope we don't get too much 'oh gee, I keep shooting them in the chest but they don't go down, hurr-durr, oh wait I'll maybe try a headshot this time!' ... there'll have to be a bit of that, but hopefully not too much because we viewers already know this info.
    Bollix to that. We just need to get this guy in. he knows the score.

I do agree that the plot was rather complex, but in the end I got the majority of the important stuff - it just required patience to piece it all together over eight weeks - I think that maybe four protagonists, and their interconnected stories and various sets of antagonists, was an awful lot to cram into 8 episodes, but despite the complexity it was still far above most telly out there. The finale was superb, as you say, capping off a satisfying season (roll on season 3!).
    Exactly. But it seems that particular virtue is lost on a lot of the Friendface/Twater generation.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Great Britain
    Might have some good news on where to watch this in the UK, was flicking through Sky TV last night and came across a channel called AMC from BT which starts on the 28th of Aurgust, its Channel number 192 on normal Sky I don't have HD.

Fingers cross this is where we can watch it.

England
    Quote Originally Posted by paranoid101 View Post
    Might have some good news on where to watch this in the UK, was flicking through Sky TV last night and came across a channel called AMC from BT which starts on the 28th of Aurgust, its Channel number 192 on normal Sky I don't have HD.

Fingers cross this is where we can watch it.
    Great news.
    There's a rumour doing the rounds that it'll be on Virgin as well by the end of this month.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Super Moderator

UK
    Oh aye? I'll have to check that myself and see what's what. Thanks for the heads up paranoid101!

UK
    https://recombu.com/digital/article/...sky-bt-tv-epgs

Only for those with Sky and subscribed to BT Sports at £20 a month I will pass.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by DayoftheZ View Post
    https://recombu.com/digital/article/...sky-bt-tv-epgs

Only for those with Sky and subscribed to BT Sports at £20 a month I will pass.
    Ah. Buggered again, then.

Great Britain
    Ah. Buggered again, then.
    Ok the plot thickens, I decide to see if sky channel 192 AMC from BT was going to show Fear the Walking Dead, while scanning through I reached this Monday coming and at 9pm Fear the Walking Dead is being shown, but unlike all the other films and shows its says "Freeview Fear the Walking Dead", just maybe the show will be shown on AMC from BT for free.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by paranoid101 View Post
    Ok the plot thickens, I decide to see if sky channel 192 AMC from BT was going to show Fear the Walking Dead, while scanning through I reached this Monday coming and at 9pm Fear the Walking Dead is being shown, but unlike all the other films and shows its says "Freeview Fear the Walking Dead", just maybe the show will be shown on AMC from BT for free.
    So that's Monday 31st, then?

Interesting ... will have to see if that pans out. But a week long gap? WTF is that about?

Great Britain
    Yep the 31st, they might be like drug dealers and give you the first hit for free lol