Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: Dawn re-make. A homage to Romero's film ?

Undisclosed
    I think that it's not really fair to compare effects or storyline of the two films. You really have to consider the times they were made to appreciate what they are. Take an old western made in the 50's with a current episode of COPS, and which is likely to be more violent? I loved the first Star Wars movie, saw it in theaters as a kid and I still like it today. I hated Phantom Menace, the droid war at the end was way more advanced than any of the original movies but to me it was kind of a cheesey way to go. After seeing so many movies with computer animation, I expected more imagination, I was kind of numb to it. The same way someone watching the two films at the same time for the first time would feel. I saw NOTLD when I was very young and it scared the crap out of me. My kids watched it and it was no big deal, they have been exposed to worse, sadly.
    "I want to be apple pie and baseball but when people look at me they see nachos and a cock-fight"

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamn View Post
    I think that it's not really fair to compare effects or storyline of the two films. You really have to consider the times they were made to appreciate what they are. Take an old western made in the 50's with a current episode of COPS, and which is likely to be more violent? I loved the first Star Wars movie, saw it in theaters as a kid and I still like it today. I hated Phantom Menace, the droid war at the end was way more advanced than any of the original movies but to me it was kind of a cheesey way to go. After seeing so many movies with computer animation, I expected more imagination, I was kind of numb to it. The same way someone watching the two films at the same time for the first time would feel. I saw NOTLD when I was very young and it scared the crap out of me. My kids watched it and it was no big deal, they have been exposed to worse, sadly.

Well, it's been my experience that people will work only as hard as they have to. Meaning, if cgi does most of the work instead of combining that with their creative juices they are content to sit back with "just enough" instead of making a truly special film.

As to your second point people around here compare the films all the time and how dawn 04' doesn't compare to he original in so many aspects, which are totally legitimate points. So, in fact, they are the one's comparing the two films and how dawn 78' is so much better. So wouldn't it be only fair to point out the things that dawn 04' does better than the original?

Unlike most people we here are film buffs, GAr films inparticular but most people aren't. We appreciate slow pacing and character development. Most people don't and most would indeed want to watch dawn 04' before the original and enjoy it more.

I was commenting on the fact that his friend totally dissed the original. I subsequently pointed out numerous flaws of the film, which if you are honest with yourself you must admit. Truthfully, if i watched any other film with those flaws it would totally suck.

You can still admit it and love the movie but let's not pretend that it's not dated or that the acting is top notch because it's far from that.

My point is some things were better back then such as storyline and character development and some things are better now like the effects.

Last edited by darth los; 24-Aug-2009 at 05:20 PM.
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Undisclosed

just chipping in

I'm gonna chip in and say I enjoyed it. Plus it made my friend choke on his popcorn which is good.

United States
    A film by any other name...

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by deadpunk View Post
    A film by any other name...

Ugh...

By any other name, it'd still be absolutely fucking shit.

They also don't give a stuff about Romero as his "based on a movie by..." credit is definitely shorter and more interrupted than anyone else's.

Canada
    I fail to see how this movie is absolute shit. Absolute shit is something like children of the living dead, not Dawn 04'. I understand that it is subject to opinion, but come on.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post

Ugh...

By any other name, it'd still be absolutely fucking shit.
    I disagree. Honestly, if they had named this movie anything else, people would not have been so bent out of shape. And more zombie fans would have given it a chance without a pre-formed opinion.

We have a tendency to compare every zombie movie to GAR works. Take one that is named after his and our expectations go up 100 fold.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by mista_mo View Post
    I fail to see how this movie is absolute shit. Absolute shit is something like children of the living dead, not Dawn 04'. I understand that it is subject to opinion, but come on.
    I've got 110 reasons why I reckon it's absolutely fucking shit.

United States

Seriously? Are we gonna start this again?

"When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post

Seriously? Are we gonna start this again?
    It's who we are. It's what we do.

As for name comparison? I can look beyond that. '04 is a fast, flashy, MTV style action movie w/ runners, all style & no substance. But fun for what it is.

Is it shit? Mmmm...no...not IMO. I can name a dozen zed movies off the top of my head that are INFINITELY worse. But even if it IS shit, shit, like Hell, has many levels, & this is no where near the worst (CotLD, Craptaigum, Ghey '04, Zombiez, Zombies vs Vampires, Zombie Lake, Garden of the Dead, I could go on & on...)

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    Imo, the first part of your answer is the way to go. It is a remake in name only and although there were nods to fans peppered throughout the film such as the Gaylen Ross store or several cameos by original cast members I wouldn't call it a homage to GAr's masterpiece by any means. The only thing it has in common with the original is zombies and a mall. (dead rising anyone?)

I will say this though. Don't feel guilty for liking it. I love the film and I'm in the minority here. (I just don't mind my friends here bashing me for it).

Also, don't think that liking this film is somehow a slap in the face to GAr or the original because for all intents and purposes they are two seperate entities.

i like the remake as well, its not a bad movie but i'd rather not call it a remake since it bears little in common with the original except that its set in a mall.

Super Moderator

UK
    Zombie Lake is better than Yawn04. It's got green zombie nazis in it for cripe's sake! Plus a bevvy of naked-ass chicks swimming in a lake/showering in their garden/doing anything as long as they're naked, and it's got THIS dude in it:

Howard Vernon.

I've actually got a mate from uni who looks just like this guy.

I'm pleased to have Zombie Lake in my DVD collection, I'm not pleased to have Yawn04 in my DVD collection ... but at least I got a section in my final year dissertation from it...

United States
    Zombie Lake is better than Yawn04. It's got green zombie nazis in it for cripe's sake! Plus a bevvy of naked-ass chicks swimming in a lake/showering in their garden/doing anything as long as they're naked, and it's got THIS dude in it:
    It's great for a grade Z cheeseball craptacualar euro exploitation flick. Doesn't make it a particularly good movie though. If that makes sense.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    It's great for a grade Z cheeseball craptacualar euro exploitation flick. Doesn't make it a particularly good movie though. If that makes sense.
    But it does what it does well.

Yawn04, not so much.

United States
    But it does what it does well.

Yawn04, not so much.
    Oh I think it does what it does well. Just a question of what it does...