Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What now for Star Trek? (spoilers)

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Question What now for Star Trek? (spoilers)

http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/69...-Spoilers.html

Interesting read.

Wadda you guys think?

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Meh. It could make a good film, but I don't want to see Khan again. Now that they have this whole alternate universe to play with, I say they come up with original stories.

I imagine the writers spent a great deal of time trying to figure out how to correctly restart the franchise without pissing on the fans and now that they've done that, I don't think they would try to start remaking stories from the original films/series.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I'd agree except given the fact that he's the single greatest villain in the franchise. The dynamic between him and Kirk is very unique. It's a shame that he wasn't a recurring character.

I see what you're saying though. Perhaps they can have him on the periphery. Like have his fingerprints all over the film but not actually have him in it. Who knows?

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Twitching

Undisclosed
    In your link they talk about the need for someone with an equally-cool Latin accent to replace Ricardo Montalban as Khan, despite the fact that Khan is supposed to be of East Indian descent. No way. Since John Cho is already Sulu, Khan can be none other than . . . Kal Penn. They can call it Harold and Kumar Boldly Go Where No Man Has Gone Before!
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    NO. NO. NO. i have absolutely zero desire to see "space seed" remade, rebooted, reimagined, hell re-anythinged.

another thing that i really don't like about this new film is the whole vulcan thing. i think that makes no fucking sense at all and is pretty much enough of a reason for me to lose interest. i really hate when remakes, reboots do shit like that. just for the sake of example - i lost complete interest in the new doctor who (which i think really sucks moose anus) almost as soon as it was revealed that gallifrey was "destroyed." fucking stupid.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    NO. NO. NO. i have absolutely zero desire to see "space seed" remade, rebooted, reimagined, hell re-anythinged.

another thing that i really don't like about this new film is the whole vulcan thing. i think that makes no fucking sense at all and is pretty much enough of a reason for me to lose interest. i really hate when remakes, reboots do shit like that. just for the sake of example - i lost complete interest in the new doctor who (which i think really sucks moose anus) almost as soon as it was revealed that gallifrey was "destroyed." fucking stupid.
    Uh oh. Looks like we have one of those brick wall Trekkies in out midst. To Mike, NOTHING new will ever be good.

Just kidding around with ya, of course.

As I said before, they've found a way to begin a new series without stepping on the toes of those before it, so they should definitely stick with all new stories. Otherwise people like Mike will kill them.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Uh oh. Looks like we have one of those brick wall Trekkies in out midst. To Mike, NOTHING new will ever be good.

Just kidding around with ya, of course.

As I said before, they've found a way to begin a new series without stepping on the toes of those before it, so they should definitely stick with all new stories. Otherwise people like Mike will kill them.

They already changed enough things to get rabid fanboys up in arms.

The only thing I can say is whenever you're making a movie based on an already established franchise/property you're going to piss more than a few people off. Just worry about making the best film you can and the rest will fall into place. Even if the fanboys are pissed they will be drowned out by the tens of millions who loved it.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    They already changed enough things to get rabid fanboys up in arms.
    They did? I'm no trekkie, but I do have a general knowledge of the series and I can't even count a handful of things that should be an issue. I thought the alternate timeline thing would please trekkies like Mike. You've still got the original to consider "canon", but you have this series as well. Both of them count and neither cancels out the other...

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    They did? I'm no trekkie, but I do have a general knowledge of the series and I can't even count a handful of things that should be an issue. I thought the alternate timeline thing would please trekkies like Mike. You've still got the original to consider "canon", but you have this series as well. Both of them count and neither cancels out the other...
    actually, i'm not that hardcore about it. i don't really want to see "space seed" redone because, let's face it, you can't out khan ricardo montalban.

my problem with what happens to vulcan is one of suspension of disbelief. being very science literate comes with a price sometimes, in that you find yourself completely unable to suspend your incredulity and believe something that is totally fooking whack. movies that have planets in them being split up, blown up, disrupted -whatever just make me laugh. star wars in not only one of the most scientifically idiotic movies ever, the death star is probably the most improbable piece of technology in the history of science fiction (there would be other contenders).

destroying a planet takes lots and lots and lots of energy on a scale that is almost hard to comprehend. for example to blow up the earth would require roughly the amount of energy that the sun produces in a WEEK. think about that the next you see alderaan bite it.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Dude....these are science fiction films in which people bounce around space in colorful clothing and shoot lasers at each other. Suspend your damn disbelief and enjoy for what it is - ENTERTAINMENT!

And you love movies with walking dead people. Just throwing that out there.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada

And you love movies with walking dead people. Just throwing that out there.
    it is easier to believe in that than in a madman on a spacecraft or station destroying an entire planet.

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    it is easier to believe in that than in a madman on a spacecraft or station destroying an entire planet.
    I dunno, the latter is probably more possible. At least it does not break the laws of physics in the same way as zombies do.

I sort of understand the reticence to like the new movies though. Personally I hate it when sequels/prequels/reboots contradict and break each other's rules. I think sequelized fiction is more engrossing when it is set in a persistent and consistent universe.

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    I dunno, the latter is probably more possible. At least it does not break the laws of physics in the same way as zombies do.
    It doesn't? Personally, I think zombies are more plausible from a physics standpoint than the way Vulcan is destroyed in the movie. From what I've read about it, anyways -- I haven't seen it yet.
    "We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat. They do not exist." - Queen Victoria

United States
    Already saw Space Seed. And Wrath of Khan. Why exactly do I need to see a rehash of either one?

Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    I'd agree except given the fact that he's the single greatest villain in the franchise.

No way. Q is way above Khan (if you consider him a "villain", which is kind of fuzzy). Dukat is also miles ahead. And Lore is at least equal to Khan.
    Last edited by SRP76; 12-May-2009 at 12:11 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    I've not seen it yet either so I don't know exactly what happens, but of course it does require a ridiculous amount of energy to blow up a planet. However, to bring back the dead as unstoppable eating machines you'd need to go one further and actually reverse the flow of cosmic entropy!