Page 96 of 173 FirstFirst ... 46869293949596979899100106146 ... LastLast
Results 1,426 to 1,440 of 2589

Thread: Rate the last movie you've seen

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    The Silent Stranger - 1968: very cool and unusual "Spaghetti Western": most of the action takes place in Japan! (the movie is in fact often credited with "inventing" the "East-meets-West" Western.) It has all the "dark & gritty" atmosphere you would expect in such Westerns. I had not seen this movie in probably some 25 years!
    Do you have to see the other "Stranger" films, before you see this one?
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Do you have to see the other "Stranger" films, before you see this one?
    No, it is not necessary. The stories of each movie in the series are independent from one another, but they revolve around the same central character (viz. "the Stranger".)

Super Moderator

UK
    Aftermath - the 'Arnie goes serious' movie in which he plays a grieving husband and father in the wake of a plane crash that killed his family. Scoot McNairy plays the air traffic controller who contributes to the mistake that causes the crash. I wasn't sure whether I'd like it, and was a smidge iffy on bothering to watch it at all, but Arnie going serious was too intriguing. He does a pretty good job over the piece, a few wobbles here and there, but it's good to see the 'old dog' learning 'new tricks' as it were.

McNairy does a lot of heavy lifting as the soul-destroyed ATC guy, but one frustrating thing about the movie is that it never bothers to address one glaring omission in the placing of fault: the pilot who, having not heard from ATC, just decides to drop down several thousand feet. Seems weird, too, that they don't particularly pay attention to the work guys who opted for that moment to do some technical stuff that inconveniently knocks out the phone lines (which ties in to the distraction of McNairy's character - who is also left alone in the ATC room). So, aside from that, it's pretty good. Generally kind of bleak, of course, but I got more involved in it than I thought I would.

The Desperate Hours - Directed by William Wyler, this 1955 movie stars Humphrey Bogart as a criminal on the run after a prison break with two accomplices. They hold up in suburbia and essentially hold a family hostage (but nobody knows about the situation - not the cops, not the neighbours, just the family and crims involved in the scenario). Fredric March plays the patriarch of the household and, after a deceptively twee opening, the film moves into surprisingly deep character territory with March wrenched between a rock and a hard place as the safety of his family is constantly on the line, even when he's able to move things a little more his way. It's quite deep performance stuff for the time and still feels quite fresh all these decades later. Well worth seeing.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quick rundown of the films I've seen so far this year.

7 Murders for Scotland Yard - Spanish giallo with Paul Naschy. Looks exceptionally dull and cheap and pales horribly in contrast with A Dragonfly for Each Corpse. Set in London. Spanish giallo should be called Amarillo, shouldn't they?

How to be Single - Dubbed on Uruguayan TV. I don't speak or read spanish.

American Made - Run-of-the-mill drugrunning biopic with Tom Cruise. Nothing exceptional whatsoever.

Addio zio mio - Incredible crazy mondo film about a group of documentary filmmakers covering the slave trade of the american south. Gruesome, yet humorous at the same time. Set up as a documentary, but I suppose the real term would be somewhat of a timetravelling docudrama...

Star Wars Rogue One - Best of the new run of films by far.

Golden Child - Prime Eddie Murphy wasn't always good. In fact, this is downright shit on almost every level.

Blood stained Bride - Slow burning spanish gothic vampire film from the 70's. Enjoyed the mood immensly. Looking forward to rewatching this down the line.

Black magic rites - Crazy satanic italian exploitation from the 1970's. Nothing makes sense - and I mean NOTHING. Littered with camera zooms that shatter your expectations of how far in a zoom should go. In a sense, I suppose it breaks new grounds in that regard.

Jumanji - Welcome to the Jungle - The best film titled "Welcome to the Jungle"-starring the Rock, right after 2003's "Welcome to the Jungle".

L’Avventura - Italian arthouse at it's most arthousiest. Antonioni's international breakthrough and the movie - together with La Docle Vita - that kickstarted the Italian arthouse wave.

Death smiles at a murderer - Joe D'Amato helmed gothic horror and crapfest which is shoddily shot and even worse edited. Still, some amusing bits. The plot doesn't make sense, partly because of the aforementioned editing and partly because the story is presented out-of-sequence (which isn't really revealed until the end - by which time it's to late to try to figure anything out).

French Sex Murders - 1970's crap giallo with nothing noteworthy in it at all, except maybe the worst special effects of a person flying down the eiffel tower ever.

Sweet Body of Deborah - 1960's classy giallo with an all-star cast and crew before any of them were stars. Sergio Martino, Caroll Baker, George Hilton, Jean Sorel, Luigi Pistilli, Evelyn Stewart and Ernesto Gastaldi all show up in the credits.

Amatörer - Swedish feel good film shot in the late fall of 2015 but which is premiering only now. I worked on it and I had a very good time making it.

Class of 1999 - It's intentionally tongue-in-cheek... right?

Il tuo dolce corpo da uccidere - Amazing lost giallo gem from the 1970's about a man who kills his unfaithful wife, stuffs the body in two large suitcases and then leaves the airport with the wrong suitcase.

Star Trek - The Voyage Home - Nuclear wessels.

Contagion - A favorite of mine. Believable in it's portrayal of a viral pandemic. I think I've seen this around 5 times.

Killer Cop - Luciano Ercoli, who made a number of gialli, directs his penultimate film. A eurocrime, in vogue at the time, that is incredibly indicative of the genre. A solid action piece, but nothing I'll be revisiting I think.

Dirty Harry - Hadn't seen this one before. Now I want to see the rest. Love Clint - who doesn't?

GoldenEye - Time hasn't been kind on this. But despite all the aged technology and music, the action sequences are really well crafted! There's a shoot-out in an archive where there's burning paper flying in the foreground of every shot. Beautiful.

The Thing - A classic. Arrow remastered this last year. This was my first time seeing on Blu Ray. Love the film.

Hunger Games 3 - Or whatever the title is. Nothing happened for 2 hours.
    Last edited by EvilNed; 10-Feb-2018 at 01:17 PM. Reason: fasfasdf

Administrator

England
    ^ Slow week?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    ^ Slow week?
    This is probably about 5 weeks worth of films.
    I try to watch 200 films each year.

Super Moderator

UK
    A Cure For Wellness - Gore Verbinski directs, so naturally it's too ruddy long, although it's far from his longest film. Still, this didn't need to be 141 minutes long! Dane DeHaan works for a financial company and he's sent to bring back the boss man so a merger can go through (and financial irregularities can be pinned on someone). He goes to this clinic in the shadow of the Swiss Alps, which is like a throwback to some sort of early 20th Century sanatorium. All the patients are rich and blissfully happy, and guzzle a lot of water. The reason for it all is a bit underwhelming, but there's a good amount of atmosphere and generally the 'spooky doings in a sanatorium' vibe works well with paranoia abound. Visually strong with some intriguing themes bubbling under the surface, it's not as good as you want it to be, but still worth a watch. A solid 3/5 movie.

Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    French Sex Murders - 1970's crap giallo with nothing noteworthy in it at all, except maybe the worst special effects of a person flying down the eiffel tower ever.

Il tuo dolce corpo da uccidere - Amazing lost giallo gem from the 1970's about a man who kills his unfaithful wife, stuffs the body in two large suitcases and then leaves the airport with the wrong suitcase.

Contagion - A favorite of mine. Believable in it's portrayal of a viral pandemic. I think I've seen this around 5 times.

Dirty Harry - Hadn't seen this one before. Now I want to see the rest. Love Clint - who doesn't?

GoldenEye - Time hasn't been kind on this. But despite all the aged technology and music, the action sequences are really well crafted! There's a shoot-out in an archive where there's burning paper flying in the foreground of every shot. Beautiful.

The Thing - A classic. Arrow remastered this last year. This was my first time seeing on Blu Ray. Love the film.
    1) Ha! I know the effect you mean ... it's literally a man-shaped piece of black card that's been placed onto the frame somehow, that's what it looks like at least. Yeah, I don't recall this one being particularly memorable. It's faded in my memory considerably.

2) Ooh, that sounds like an interesting premise! Does it have an English title, so I can keep a look out for it?

3) The one with the exploding chests? Yeah, it's pretty rad.

4) You hadn't seen Dirty Harry before?! *faints* Blimey! Okay, next up is "Magnum Force" which is the second best DH flick. Next up is "The Enforcer" which is kind of up and down, some of it's good, some of it's kinda iffy. "Sudden Impact" is a little bit like 'Dirty Harry goes on forced holiday, gets wrapped up in a revenge killer's antics', and as I recall it's pretty good (co-stars Sondra Locke). Finally there's "The Dead Pool", which is pretty campy (Jim Carey has an early role as a rockstar, miming along to GnR's "Welcome to the Jungle"), and there's a fairly ludicrous chase scene involving a remote control toy car with a bomb inside it, but it's pretty fun.

5) Goldeneye is one of the best Bonds IMHO, and certainly Brosnan's best by miles. I suppose there'll be some 'very 90s' elements to it now, but the same can be said of any film in any past decade. I saw it in the cinema when it was first released and it was my first Bond movie. Went to see it with my Dad at a local independent cinema that had just opened at the time (and it had no heating then, too, IIRC). So I've got quite the soft spot for that flick.

6) Ah, yes, Arrow's Blu-Ray of "The Thing" is excellent, isn't it? Superb transfer, wealth of extras. I got the limited edition pre-ordered as soon as it was available, good thing too as that edition sold out within a few days and is now OOP. The 'Summer of 82' special feature is excellent, as well.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    2) Ooh, that sounds like an interesting premise! Does it have an English title, so I can keep a look out for it?
    I've seen both the literal translation "Your Sweet Body to Kill" and the alternative title "A Suitcase for a Murder" floating around. George Ardisson stars and he's pretty handsome. It's got some bonkers stuff in it, like the fact that our protagonist is easily distracted by fish, as he loves aquatic fauna.

3) The one with the exploding chests? Yeah, it's pretty rad.
    No! You're thinking about Contamination. This is Contagion by Steven Soderbergh!

6) Ah, yes, Arrow's Blu-Ray of "The Thing" is excellent, isn't it? Superb transfer, wealth of extras. I got the limited edition pre-ordered as soon as it was available, good thing too as that edition sold out within a few days and is now OOP. The 'Summer of 82' special feature is excellent, as well.
    I got the Zavvi Steelbook. A nice box. Didn't come with a poster tho.

Will try catch up with the other Dirty Harry films soon enough.

Anyway, two more films... It's the weekend after all.

Silence of the Tomb - Jess Franco helmed thriller/giallo in Spanish. Pretty bland but with an interesting subplot that never really gets developed. The BluRay featured the script pages for the original ending which would have been much more interesting.

Hunger Games 4 - Peeta is the dullest character ever, what the fuck Katniss?

Rising

United States
    A Cure For Wellness - Gore Verbinski directs, so naturally it's too ruddy long, although it's far from his longest film. Still, this didn't need to be 141 minutes long! Dane DeHaan works for a financial company and he's sent to bring back the boss man so a merger can go through (and financial irregularities can be pinned on someone). He goes to this clinic in the shadow of the Swiss Alps, which is like a throwback to some sort of early 20th Century sanatorium. All the patients are rich and blissfully happy, and guzzle a lot of water. The reason for it all is a bit underwhelming, but there's a good amount of atmosphere and generally the 'spooky doings in a sanatorium' vibe works well with paranoia abound. Visually strong with some intriguing themes bubbling under the surface, it's not as good as you want it to be, but still worth a watch. A solid 3/5 movie.
    As you said, too damn long!

Together with the 1978 remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers (which coincidentally was also even better than the original black & white film), they are the best "alien life-form invades Earth" movies ever made.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    No! You're thinking about Contamination. This is Contagion by Steven Soderbergh!
    Ah! I misread your post. I saw "Contagion" a while back. Can't really remember much about it, although I do remember being chilled by how easily such a thing can progress through the population - so it makes it all the more frustrating when you see innumerable idiots walking around town coughing open-mouthed, wiping their noses with their hands which they then smear all over every bloody surface imaginable, and selfish pricks who can't just stay home when they're sick so they go out into the world to spread their muck about. Arseholes!

Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    Together with the 1978 remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers (which coincidentally was also even better than the original black & white film), they are the best "alien life-form invades Earth" movies ever made.
    I saw the '78 remake of Body Snatchers for the first time a few weeks ago. Obviously, the climactic moment was long-since spoiled for me through numerous clip shows and movie references and so forth, but it was still a great watch. Dripping with post-Watergate paranoia and occasionally quite freaky (the dog).

United States
    Back of Beyond (1995) 6.5/10
    An obscure Australian movie about a mechanic in the remote outback, whose sister was killed, and then years later has a run in with diamond smugglers. It has a supernatural element to it. It has never had a DVD or Bluray release. I saw it on cable 20+ years ago, and could never remember the name of it to find it again, until last week. It drove me crazy for years wanting to see it again. I did multiple Google and Imdb searches until I finally found it. Sadly, it was better the first time around when I was about 13 and didn't already know the ending.:dunno: Still glad to find it again.

Welcome To Woop Woop (1997) 5.5/10
    Another Australian movie. A crook escapes trouble in NY to Australia and is kidnapped by a girl, and taken to a weird town of about 50 misfit people where no one is allowed to leave. Completely bat shit crazy, but somewhat entertaining.

Joe Versus The Volcano (1990) 7/10
    Corny love/adventure movie with Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan. Another childhood movie that I still like..

United States
    The Blue Lagoon (1949) w/ Jean Simmons 7/10
    Pretty decent, actually. Much better, in my opinion, than the 1980 version w/ Brooke Shields. Evidently, it has never had an official release on any home media. In this day and age, I'm really surprised by how many movies I've come across that have never had official releases.
    Last edited by beat_truck; 13-Feb-2018 at 04:56 AM. Reason: typo

United States
    To Dance With The White Dog (1993) w/ Hume Cronyn, Jessica Tandy, Christine Baranski 7.5/10
    Fairly good tear jerker made for TV movie. I saw it when it first aired and several times since.

Attack Of The Killer Tomatoes (1978) 3/10
    Bad in every sense of the word. I wasn't expecting anything great or serious. I figured it would be an enjoyable "so bad it's good" type of scifi / horror movie, but it was more of an attempt to be funny that failed for the most part.

Invitation To A Gunfighter (1964) w/ Yul Brynner, George Segal, Pat Hingle 6.5/10
    Nothing fantastic, but a decent enough western. More of a slow burn without a ton of action.

Super Moderator

UK
    Slow West
    Michael Fassbender and Kodi Smit McPhee travel west in 19th century America. Fassbender's a hardened rogue who latches onto McPhee's naiive young Scotsman who has come looking for his love Rose. It's a UK/New Zealand co-production and certain events transpire in a way that you'd never see in a mainstream American film. There's also some surprising humour at certain moments e.g. a moment where salt literally pours into a wound. I was very pleasantly surprised by it. A stripped-back and beautifully photographed film and it's got a very breezy running time.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Oh boy, it's been awhile...

Meet him and Die
    Eurocrime with Ray Lovelock as an undercover cop. Great!

Deep Red
    At the cinema. A showing in town. Man, it's good on the big screen. Also appreciated the humour more in a group setting.

En Frusen Dröm
    Documentary on the Andrée expedition. Fairly dull.

Lost Boys
    Joel Schumacher is really gay and you can tell by this film. Great film.

Schoolgirl Killer
    Really enjoyable early giallo set at an all-girl school (what else?).

Naked Girl Killed in a Park
    Another great giallo with genre superstar Jean Sorel. Really dug this one... Title is fairly misleading tho, it's more like "Naked Girl found dead in the front yard".

The killer is on the phone
    Fairly dull giallo with Telly Salavas as a hired assassin doing nothing at all for 90 minutes.

A White Dress for Marialé
    Another giallo. It's ok. Maybe shooting an encroaching snake off of a party guests ankle with a handgun is not the best way to handle the situation, but hey - whatever works.

Seven blood-stained orchids
    So ok, another giallo. Enjoyed this one up to a point but it is extremely formulaic and sort of loses itself at the end. There's no big flourish to it, like shooting encroaching snakes off of party guests ankles with handguns for example.

Novecento
    5,5 hours of italian drama set in a farm in Northern italy. Robert De Niro, Gerard Depardiu (he was good looking once!) and Donald Sutherland. Knowing what we know now, this film didn't really nail these actors with in their old-age makeup...

Under Siege
    Hadn't seen this one before. Neat. But Seagal is a bore.

Timecop
    Had seen this one before. Neat. But the third act should have taken place in the future and not in the present. We do NOT watch a film named TimeCop to see a home invasion scenario set in the 90's.

Showtime
    Eddie Murphy and De Niro. Crap.

The Bird with the Crystal Plumage
    Revisiting this classic. The Arrow release from last year sure looks good.

Black Panther
    Better than I expected.

Mayhem
    From last year. Crap.

Patriot Games
    Remember when "terrorist" meant "IRA"?

Under Siege 2
    Seagal is still a bore. Everett McGill is also a bore. Overall, this was a bore.

Weapons of Death
    Mad Dog Killer
    A Special Cop in Action
    Had friends over to a trio of eurocrime action films. We play drinking games to them. Every time a new character with a moustasche shows up. Everytime a car screeches to a halt or takes off speeding. Everytime a slap is thrown (cap at 3 per scene!). Every instance of police brutality. Every bottle of J&B whiskey. I was really hung over yesterday.

A Nightmare on Elm Street 2
    A Nightmare on Elm Street 3
    A Nightmare on Elm Street 4
    2 - OK, 3 - Good, 4 - Crap.

9. April
    Danish WW2 film about a company of bike infantry. Decent production value for what must have been peanuts.